Reload this Page >

First Time to Paris - Family of Five

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 12:48 AM
Sarah

Good Morning. We are a family of five (two adults, three pre-teen children)planning to spend 9 nights total in Paris. This will be the first time there for all of us. We have been to London and Rome though so we do understand about European hotel rooms. I read the posts regarding the arrondisements and which web sites to use to find a hotel. However, is there one particular area for complete novices that is best. Or is any hotel in the 1st-8th equally suitable in terms of walking to major sites. We look forward to taking the metro to sites farther away. We are staying 9 nights to ensure that we aren't rushing to see everything. We all enjoy soaking in the atmosphere and strolling, eating, or playing in parks. So basically my question is - what is the ideal place for a family to stay? Thank you.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 02:52 AM
Gretchen

You might want to consider an apartment rental. We met a couple at dinner who were staying at the Citadines St. Germain and went to see their studio apt. It was very nice--you would probably need a 1 BR. It was right on the Quai Grand Augustins looking at the river and Notre Dame.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 03:02 AM
Ruth

I don't know Paris well, but we stayed there in Jan 2002, near the Jardin du Luxembourg - that was a good area for us with one child. The Jardin has a good playground (small charge for playground entry) as well as pony rides and model boats for hire. It was also close to the main sights. I would say that the left bank has more interest for kids than the right bank - but others may disagree. In any case you will be able to go all over by metro and bus. Ages 4-13 (I think) get reductions on tickets. Cite des Enfants at La Villette looked like a good way to spend a day (we didn't have time, unfortunately).

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 06:01 AM
scott

Try the Home Plaza Bastille. It is in a great residential area that gives you an excellent perspective on Parisian life. Metro stops are about 2 blocks away. Place des Vosges and the Picasso Museum are a stroll away, as are the restaurants of the Marais and Bastille. <BR>We got a room with a queen size bed and a pair of bunks for about $140/nt in spring 1999. They might have a larger room, or you could possibly squeeze in a rollaway. If I remember correctly, it might even have a fridge. Rooms are modern and clean. The buildings are set around a courtyard and gardens in a quiet part of the city. Our young kids enjoyed running around the courtyard, and nearby park.<BR>There are several excellent boulangeries and patisseries nearby for inexpensive breakfasts an picnic lunches.<BR>We have stayed in that neighborhood twice, and were warmly received by the locals. <BR>The sidewalk cafes of Place de la Basttille is great for people watching over a cafe au lait. Just a metro stop<BR>away or a ten minute walk from the hotel. This is also a major hub of the metro system. After breakfast, you can hoof it over to Notre Dame in about 10-15 minutes.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 06:42 AM
elvira

Definitely look into renting an apartment. There are several agencies (if you do a search on this forum for Paris apartments, the posts should pop up) that rent private apartments (Citadines and Orion are apartotels, often more expensive than private apartments, and not nearly as interesting).<BR><BR>The areas around the Luxembourg Gardens, Les Invalides, and the Tuileries are convenient (lots of metro stations, restaurants, markets and close to major sights) and have access to lovely parks and open spaces.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 06:48 AM
tot

What about if you're only staying in Paris for 3-4 nights and you're a family of 5? That's our situation for this summer (first trip to Paris); what would you suggest?

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 06:56 AM
Lori

Citidine Apartments rent by the night, they are not large but better then a hotel room for a family. Most private apartments usually rent by the week.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:44 AM
elvira

tot, it might still be cheaper to rent a private apartment for a week and use it for only 5 days.<BR><BR>Example: large apartment that sleeps 6 for $500 a week vs a double room @ $80 a night for five nights ($400). Not only more room to spread out, but you can cook meals, keep snacks on hand i/o buying at cafes and restaurants, etc. which saves a bundle.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 10:06 AM
Sue

Scott's hotel is Home Plazza Bastille (2 z's).

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 11:51 AM
ellen

Three of us are staying 10 nights in Paris the end of May. We're renting a two-bedroom apartment for $195/night in the Marais (4th arr.) For 9 nights with kids I'd join the other posters in highly recommending an apartment rental.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 02:22 PM
Christina

As far as the area question, you would probably have a decent time in any of those areas, but I think for a complete novice, you would like being the closest to typical tourist attractions. For that I would select areas 1 and 4-7. Arr. 2 and 3 have more business and other aspects you might not want as much and the choice of accommodations isn't as great. Arr. 8 is just ritzier and isn't bad necessarily, just what I wouldn't pick for a typical family of five, due to cost and atmosphere. I think an area near a park is nice for families, and you could easily limit yourself to the 7th arr. around Champ de Mars/Eiffel Tower or the 5th around Lux. Gardens and not be missing anything.<BR><BR>I think that Citadines St-Germain could be a good idea. I don't think dealing with apt. rentals is always as great an idea as many people do, particularly for novices who've never been to a city before. The places that are known businesses and don't require large deposits or minimum stays I think are better (ie, Citadines, Orion and Home Plazza). If you are interested in those places, here are some URLs:<BR>www.citadines.com<BR>www.apartmenthotels. com<BR>www.home-plazza.com

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:15 PM
Wendy

Sarah,<BR><BR>A couple of possiblities depending, of course, on your budget. You could try to reserve a couple of rooms at the Hotel Fleurie, which is well-located for most of the sights you want to see in Paris. They offer family rooms, which consist of one room with a double bed, connected to another double, bathroom inbetween. You could probably put a cot in one of the rooms for your third child, or reserve an adjoining room. This is a small, family-run hotel, which received excellent reviews here on the forum, and equally excellent recommendations from a Parisian friend of mine here in New York. Also, I have been in touch with a doctor who e-mailed me after reading my request on the forum. He rents two apartments in Paris, one of which is on the southern end of the Latin Quarter, also a great area to be in for first-timers. You can find more info about his rentals and their availability at: Lacigaleparis.com.<BR>The other place I've looked into is Residence des Arts, which is also well-located in the Latin Quarter. They have several apartment type accomodations available, but it can be pricey, depending on time of year, etc.<BR>There's another apartment-style hotel just off the Champs Elysee, whose name I can't remember right now. If I come across the file I have for it, I'll certainly get back in touch.<BR>My husband and I have been to Paris many times, although I'm sure there are people here on the forum more knowledgeable than us. Still, just e-mail if you need help. All the best!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:06 AM
Sarah

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions. The web site for Residence des Arts looks appealing roughly in my price range. We do like to have someone come in and clean/fix up things when we travel as after all, we are on vacation. Nonetheless I will contact Citadines and some of the others mentioned. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Paris is that one place that can really be overwhelming to someone who has never been there (but don't worry, I will do heavy Pimseleur listening beforehand). Sarah