Reload this Page >

First time to Italy; where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 11:27 AM
barb

2 full weeks, flying in to Milan, out from Rome, July - Aug. Suggestions requested. Don't necessarily need to see big cities other than "must sees". Hotels also requested in $200/nt range.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 11:32 AM
Marilyn Ham

Be sure to see Florence and some of the hilltowns of Tuscany. I particularly like Assisi and usually stay at the Hotel Umbra, which is very nice. Many people like Venice, although I felt it was too commercial. It is a beautiful city all the same. You may also want to visit the Amalfi coast. Be aware you will probably be there when it is hot and the tourist sites busier than ever. Marilyn

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 12:13 PM
Don

My wife and I travelled last May for 2 weeks and spent most of the time in Tuscany. <BR>Flight into Milan -&gt; Train -&gt; <BR>2 nites Venice -&gt;train-&gt; <BR>5 nites Florence-&gt;Rental Car-&gt; <BR>3 nites Siena-&gt; <BR>2 nites Perugia-&gt; <BR>Florence-&gt;Home <BR>I *strongly* suggest some time in Venice directly from Milan. You will be a bit jetlagged from the fight (it's a redeye from the US) Board the Train to Venice and when You arrive and leave the tain terminal you walk out onto the Grand Canal like it's on another planet. Venice is slower and *much* quieter than anywhere else (no cars, trucks, scooters) and it was a wonderful way to transfer to Italian life. I did not know how much I would love it until we left! <BR>Definately take a rental car for a day trip thru Chianti. Every 2-10 min there is another wonderful small vinyard where you can sample to your hearts content. Just be prepared, we brought home 2 cases wine, LOL. The Hill towns of Tuscany (Siena, Orvieto, Radda in Chianti, etc) are ultimately charming and it is quite easy to find the days zooming by. <BR>I have much more info., feel free to e-mail w/ specific question <BR>I envy you, I want to return so badly) <BR>Don

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 12:14 PM
Jackie

I agree with Marilyn about Florence--it is an absolute MUST SEE--more so than Rome or Venice (although both are definitely worth going to and you should go to both--it sounds like you will be in Rome for a little anyway). I would suggest Urbino, a very renaissance town in Le Marche Region--pretty undiscovered place, but great for a day trip. The Ducal Palace holds a lot of great art and some very intricate wood working that is definitely worth a see. Unfortunately, it's somewhat hard to get to using public transportation--if you are renting a car though it shouldn't be hard to find. Also, if you can't make it to Urbino, another hidden treasure of the Marche Region is Ascoli Piceno--a beautiful Roman town that is worth a visit. You'll find info about it (and Urbino) in most Italian guidebooks under Le Marche region. <BR> <BR> Try to visit the Umbria region--home to Asissi and many other beautiful hill towns including Orvieto which is supposedly really neat (my parents stayed there on their visit) and a good, out of the way destination. I've heard wonderful things about Le Cinque Terre--five towns on the Italian Riviera (?) that you can walk between. It's becoming a tourist destination I guess, but it's still SOMEWHAT hidden. <BR> <BR>oh, and 200 a night is definitely do-able for hotels. have a wonderful time--Italy is an amazing place. <BR> <BR>geocities.com/j_goyette/t.html

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 01:12 PM
Roger & Amy

Hi Barb, <BR> <BR> Let me first say that you will thoroughly enjoy Italy. Amy and I just returned from our second Italy trip in the last 12 months. We were only in Italy one week last Christmas so we returned for 2 weeks over Thanksgiving. We found Florence to have it all, stay at least 3 days. History, architecture and romance. We stayed at the Hotel Lungarno which might bust your hotel budget but it is worth it. We also enjoyed Verona while the most interesting place was Venice. Very expensive, but St. Marks Square and Cathedral are worth the visit. Venice is known for its glass and rightfully so. Assisi is a must but no more than 2 days. Like Marilyn, we also stayed at the Hotel Umbra. It is well located and not too expensive. The breakfast left much to be desired but you get what you pay for. I can recommend this hotel though. You should spend at least 3-4 days in Rome. The air in Rome is very polluted, so don't wear anything white or it will be a gray color at the end of the day. DO NOT STAY AT THE HOTEL GREGORIO!!!!!!!!!!! We felt the walls had ears, if you know what I mean. Have Fun! <BR> <BR>Roger

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 02:58 PM
wendy

Naples was my favorite city in Italy. It's warm, vibrant, chaotic, everything I expected Italy to be. Food is fantastic and cheap, and Capri is a quick ferry ride away. <BR>Have fun.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 10:23 PM
Art

I loved Florance, but Venice and Rome are not to be missed. <BR>

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 06:45 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Barb, As you can see from the above comments, everyone loves Italy and can <BR>suggest a wide range of " must sees". <BR>IMHO, it takes 6 weeks to see most of <BR>Italy so you should plan this trip with <BR>the idea that you will return someday. <BR> <BR>Here is a recent article that may give you some more ideas. I suggest you plan <BR>your trip geographically to optimize your experience. Also, try to not go in <BR>August---too hot. And, your options will <BR>change based on your mode of transport. <BR> <BR>SO, YOU WANT TO SEE ITALY ! <BR>FIRST, GET A GOOD MAP ! Having planned more than fifty personalized itineraries to southern Europe and Italy, I have learned that the best trip plans start with a good <BR>map. It takes about six weeks to see most of Italy, and that does not include Sicily. So, any typical two week sojourn requires a geographic orientation and thoughtful planning to optimize the total experience. The temptation is to try to see too much, and that is a big mistake. My advice is to limit yourself to FIVE DESTINATIONS OR LESS for any two week itinerary. Perceive Italy as geographic regions and plan accordingly. Here is a menu to help you to plan well. Let your total time in Italy, and a good map, determine your feasible choices ! <BR> <BR>THE BEST DESTINATIONS IN ITALY---BY CATEGORY---NORTH TO SOUTH <BR> <BR>REGIONS OF NATURAL SPLENDOR: <BR>1. The Lakes of Lombardy/Piedmonte [ Maggiore, Como, Lugano, Orta] <BR>2. The Dolomites/Lake Garda [ Cortina, Ortisei, Merano, Riva del Garda] <BR>3. The Ligurian Coast [ Portofino, Cinque Terre, Portovenere] <BR>4. Tuscany/ Umbria [ quaint and historic hill towns] <BR>5. The Amalfi Coast [ Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, Capri] <BR>THE HISTORICAL ART CITIES: <BR>1. Venice & Veneto [ allow 3 days---more if you include Vicenza, Verona et al] <BR>2. Florence [ it all happened here--plan for 3 days just in Florence] <BR>3. Siena [ deserves a full day, perhaps as a day trip from Florence] <BR>4. Rome [ the Eternal City demands 5 days---some would say two weeks] <BR>UP-SCALE RESORT DESTINATIONS: <BR>1. Bellagio [ the best of Lago Como] <BR>2. Cortina [ the Vail of Italy--ski resort in heart of the Dolomites] <BR>3. Portofino/ Santa Margherita [ splendid sea-side venue] <BR> 4. Positano [ the best location to explore the Amalfi coast] <BR> 5. Taormina [ fabulous sea-side location in Sicily] <BR> ROMANTIC HIDE-AWAY DESTINATIONS: <BR> 1. Asolo [ charming village in the hills of Veneto] <BR> 2. Orta San Giulio [ on mystical Lago Orta] <BR> 3. Ravello [ la dolce vita above the Amalfi coast] <BR> <BR>BOB THE NAVIGATOR [email protected] <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 26th, 2000, 02:32 PM
Dara

We went in March 2000, spent MUCH less than $200/night for hotels, and did not miss the extras! <BR> <BR>In Rome, Hotel de artistes www.hoteldesartistes.com/ <BR> <BR>In Florence (Firenze) Hotel Accademia www.venere.it/firenze/accademia/ <BR> <BR>Outside Venice in a most lovely town called Padova only two stops on the train to Venice (much easier than driving to Venice) we stayed at Albergo AL FAGIANO, 022 36 330 284 <BR> <BR>Spend the extra money on beautiful Leather from Stella Pelle (Firenze) and gifts from the Mercado in Firenze! <BR> <BR>Take the time to enjoy the beautiful countryside, don't get yourself to booked in the cities where your only time in the country is in route between cities!

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 04:43 PM
Jim Tardio

All of Italy is great to see. That's a tough question!! <BR> <BR>Visit my website for some ideas: <BR>www.jimtardio.com/italy.html