Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First Time to Italy - Rome and Capri (or somewhere else along Amalfi)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy for our five year anniversary in May. Neither of us has even been to Italy before but are excited to see Rome and spend some time relaxing near the water. Unfortunately, we have two kids and only have a week to spend. We are thinking 4 days in Rome and 3 days in Capri. Can I get some thoughts on this itin? We are open to other cities on the Amalfi coast or day trips here and there so feel free to make suggestions. Also, we are trying to select hotels so any recommendations near via veneto or the spanish steps would be great. For Capri we are looking at Punta Tragara or JK Capri Place? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 10:42 AM

On our first trip to Italy (with a 4 year old and 5 year old) we split our time between Rome and Sorrento. We stayed in an apartment above a bakery in the main town of Sorrento (not up on the hill where most hotels are) and it was an easy walk to the port to take the ferry to Capri for a day trip. Then we were able to do other day trips from Sorrento as well. I don't know how old your kids are so that makes a big difference. Ours loved Pompeii (another day trip from Sorrento). We had gotten our 5 year old a book about Pompeii before we went and he practically led us through the ruins. From Sorrento we also visited Amalfi (by bus), Herculaneum, and Vesuvius along with exploring Sorrento itself.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Capri is charming - and esp great at night - when there are practically no tourists. But you have to allow for the fact that transit to and fro the mainland is limited. If you want to spend the day visiting Pompeii or one of the coastal towns you need to watch the ferry times careful - since they don;t operate after late afternoon or very early evening.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

great advice so far thanks! one quick addition. our kids are not coming with us. only mentioned this to explain the reason for such a short visit. thanks again!
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 12:08 PM

To maximize your time, you might want to look into flying "open jaw" into Naples and out of Rome (choose "multi city" when booking a flight). It's true that it only takes an hour and a half to get from one to another, but it sounds like you want to make the most out of your time.

I also suggest it specifically in that order for a reason: the Amalfi Coast (and I imagine Capri) are so beautiful and relaxing, IMO it's a great way to transition - not to mention recharge - from your "real" life to your vacation! (We had the luxury of two weeks last spring but did much the same: Sicily, Amalfi, Sorrento, Rome.)

What are your interests, in Capri/vicinity and also in Rome? If you're really interested in Roman ruins, you might want to stay on the mainland instead of - or in addition to - Capri. And while our 4 days in Rome were a good amount of time, I did wish I could have squeezed in one more! (Of course!)
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

We are doing almost exactly that. Flying into Rome and out of Naples. We wanted to dive head first into Rome and assumed this would include plenty of walking and then relax in Capri. As far as our time in Rome, we are interested in the typical touristy sights (Vatican Museums, Ancient Rome and Colosseum, Sistine Chapel, Borghese Gallery and Gardens, etc. For our time in Capri we were more focused on relaxing, taking it slow and enjoying a romantic environment.