Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First Time to Italy - Help with Itinerary!!!

Old Sep 9th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Italy with my Husband for either next Fall or early spring-undecided. I don't think I'll ever get back so I really want to see as much as I can of the country. I do not want to go to Florence-must sees for me are Rome, Venice, and Cinque Terra... I would also like to do Sorrento and Positano even though the weather won't be the best. I especially need a little help at the end of my itinerary in the Tuscany region. I'm more into seeing beautiful scenery/architecture than being in museums all day, but at the same time I do appreciate a little history. We are young and fine with hoping around and like to be active, dont need to travel by any rules, but at the same time want the traveling to be realistic for us to accomplish. I can add a day or 2 at the most, but don't want the trip to get out of our budget. This is just the first start of the itinerary so any input would be great- I appreciate it!

Day 1 – Travel
Leave MSP

Day 2 – Rome
Arrive in Rome in the AM, check into hotel

Day 3 – Rome

Day 4 – Rome

Day 5 – Sorrento
Take Train from Rome to Naples to Sorrento, check into hotel in Sorrento

Day 6 - Sorrento/Positano
Take Boat to Positano, take boat back to Sorrento
Check out of Hotel, Take Train to Naples, Take over night train to Venice

Day 7 - Venice

Day 8 – Venice

Day 9 - Cinque Terra
Train to Cinque Terra, check into Hotel

Day 10 - Cinque Terra

Day 11 - Tuscany
-Rent Car somewhere by CT??
Drive through Pisa to Tuscany-want to see villages showing the country side ???
-Spend night somewhere in Tuscany ???

Day 12 – Drive back to Rome, return car, catch Flight

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
YOu need to rearrange and make your travel more effecient. One night in Sorrento is not realistic. Some hotels can hold your luggage (you won't get a late check out) during the day while others won't.

Avoid backtracking by flying into Venice and out of Rome. If Pisa is on the list, flying into Pisa is also an option, but I really think you have too many places scheduled in too short of time. You will spend all your time on buses/trains instead of sightseeing.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

I think we will have to fly in and out of Rome since we are using frequent flyer miles and the miles go way up if I do multi-cities.

Thanks for the input!
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 02:03 PM

Which airline?
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Delta
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Delta flies direct into Pisa via JFK---worth a shot!
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM

Yes, I would look at Pisa, but depending on when you are traveling all Pisa flights may not be loaded yet as some are seasonal. If you keep an eye on the Pisa flights, you may be able to catch a low mileage when they first load them. Also check Milan which is a short hop to the CT or Venice. Do know that Delta's FF site is the worst and not all flights in their alliance will show up even if available. For the ins-and-outs of Delta FF booking, hang out on the Delta forum at flyertalk.com.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 10:46 AM

I fly open jaw on Delta all the time with miles and it does not require any more miles to do so than a roundtrip to the same city.

What determines the requirement is the inventory for the particular flights. I have more luck with connections via CDG (a nightmare, but for half the miles we suck it up) or AMS or using airports like Milan which are not as popular with tourists.

I have made the trip on miles a dozen times at least and very rarely do NOT fly open jaw.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM

We loved Rome in early May. Not crowded yet, weather was beautiful and the flowers were blooming profusely on the Spanish Steps.

We stayed at the Domus Julia, which was a very good choice for value, cleanliness, charm, and location. Breakfast included, served in the lovely dining room of the adjacent Hotel Julia.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 11:29 AM

I would add another day to Venice. It is magical and unique from all your other cities. If you are not planning on going back to Europe for a long time, then Venice is a city that is like no other...
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi jk,

if Rome, venice and CT are you priorities, why not just stick to them? there will be plenty to engage you just in those 3 places alone.

if you CAN get open jaw flights [especially into Pisa or Milan, or even Venice] your planning wil be a lot easier.

if not, and you are "stuck" with flying into and out of Rome, this is what I would do:

Day 1 – Travel
Leave MSP

Day 2 – Arrive in Rome in the AM, Train to Venice.

Day 3 – Venice

Day 4 – Venice

Day 5 – Train to Pisa - stay night [lovely place once the coaches and hawkers have gone]

Day 6 - Train to CT

Day 7 - CT

Day 8 – CT

Day 9 - Train to Rome

Day 10 - Rome

Day 11 - Rome

Day 12 – Rome, return car, catch Flight

this would be even better if you could stretch to another day and night to spend in Rome.

you will get BETTER value if you travel around less - it costs more every time you move and you lose at least half a day. and if you stick to your trip to Sorrento, you will in fact be spending nearly all of those two days travelling.

Far better IMHO to leave sorrento and naples to another time.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM

good plan, ann!
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 12:12 PM

I like Ann's plan too. Much better use of time. One thing, why not just fly to Venice since you are at the airport already? It is a long train ride and since you could do an air connection, flying might be more practical in this instance.

Buon viaggio
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 01:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
mmmm - i'm so good at planning other people's trips, not so good at my own!
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Ann,

Multiple input never hurts!
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM

jknetson,

I like annhig's itinerary much better, too. Give it some serious thought (or further discussion).

Then...you can plan a future, totally separate, 12 day (11 night) trip:
Naples
Sorrento
Positano
Amalfi
Ravello
Capri
Naples
Home
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you guys for your opinions, i will think further about the new itinerary ann put out, and im going to check flyertalk.com for more delta flights.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM

Check with Delta directly if you are using FF miles; we always find that the customer rep does a far better job for us when trying to use our miles (AA). Sometimes the routing is a bit convoluted, but hey, it's miles.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Wow, and does it ever make a difference what rep you talk to! If you get someone who can't get what you want. Call back and keep trying. My last trip, they changed the flights on me (and of course didn't bother to notify me). Being wise to the airlines, I called a month prior to the trip and found out their flight times were not going to work! They had me with only the min legal connection times and we all know how well that works!

I had to make several calls before I got a rep who found an acceptable re-booking for me.