Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time to Italy/France- Itinerary Help Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:23 AM
Anna

Hi, <BR> <BR>My husband and I are planning our first trip to Europe, self-guided. I would like some advice on our itinerary. We fly into Milan at 8am, from the US West Coast and have 2 weeks in Europe this May. We want to visit Venice, Florence, Rome and Paris. What would be the best route to follow to get from Italy to Paris (our flight leaves from Paris) and how many nights would you suggest in each city? We plan to take trains. Should we stay one night in Milan (jet-lag?) or go straight from the airport to one of the cities in Italy? Any hotel suggestions? I think Venice is getting booked up! Thanks for the advice! You guys are all so knowledgable and well-travelled.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:26 AM
Anna

oops, I mistyped by email address in case you need it, it's [email protected]. Also, fyi, we're flying in from Hawaii. Thanks!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:43 AM
my trip

My wife and I are doing that trip about a week from now. Landing in Milan at 7am and immediately taking a train to Venice-2 nights, train to Florence-3 nights, train to Rome-3 nights, overnight sleeper car train to Paris-7 nights. Just one idea.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:56 AM
elvira

Stay overnight in Milan. Take the train to Florence, then to Rome, then to Venice. You can take an overnight train from Venice to Paris OR (and this is my recommendation) take an early morning train from Venice and go through Switzerland on the way to Paris, where you arrive around 10pm. The scenery is wonderful (I had a first class ticket on this trip, and it was worth it - shorter trips? 2nd class is fine) and, if you like trains, very relaxing. <BR>As for how many nights in each city, I'd spend the same number in each of the four cities (Milan is just for overnight) which is about 3 days each. Not enough, but 3 YEARS isn't enough! <BR>Hotel suggestions depend a lot on how much you want to spend, and what you want for amenities.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 12:52 AM
jane

Here's our itinery from last year (wht the NYC and the London parts cut out. we were happy to elated with every place we stayed, particularly the accomodations and surrounding areas in grasse and Avignon. I'll also email you a longer version <BR> <BR>ITALY <BR>23 May- arrive Milan--&gt; Como <BR> <BR>23/24 May Como <BR> Name: Best Western Grand Hotel Imperial <BR> Address: Via Durini, Molstrasio (Como) Price and amenities: $145 incl tax. Lake View, King Bed, full breakfast, check in 2 pm, check out noon <BR>Phone: 031 346111 <BR> <BR>25-27 May Florence <BR>Name: Hotel Select <BR>Address: Via G. Balliano 24 <BR>Price and Amenities: $160 King, quiet location, full breakfast, parking, to be arranged in advance <BR> check in 2pm, out noon <BR> Phone: 055 330342 <BR> <BR> Then: <BR>28-29 May: Near Sienna <BR> Name: La Residenza delle Badesse <BR> Address: 67 Localita Badesse, Monteriggioni/Sienna <BR> Price and Amenities: Miniapartment, $93 (?- less?), 2 twins and kitchenette, full breakfast <BR> Phone: 0577 310000 <BR> <BR>30 May Cinque Terre <BR> Name: Villa Margherita by the Sea. <BR> Address: Via Tento e Triste n. 31 <BR> Price and Amenities: $72, TV phone, internet, LA Times recommended <BR> villamargherita.net <BR> Phone: 0187807212 <BR> <BR> <BR>FRANCE <BR>31 May-2 June Grasse <BR>Name: La Rivolte <BR>Address: Chemin des Lierres. 06130 Grasse <BR>Price and Amenities; $99 per night, Jasmine master bedroom, private balcony. Breakfast included, 8:30-11 am, parking included <BR> Phone: 334-93 36 81 58 <BR> Cathy King <BR> http://www.larivolte.com/house.html <BR> <BR>3,4,5,6 June Orange and Avignon area <BR> Name: La Magnaneriae check www.bestwestern.com <BR> Address: 37 Rue Camp de Bataille, Villeneuve Lex Avignon <BR> Price and Amenities: $100 per night, <BR>Large double room w/ terrace and view. Lori says hard to find. Great cheese board <BR>Phone: 04 90 25 11 11 <BR> <BR>7/8 Dijon <BR>Name: BW Hostellerie du Chapeau Rouge <BR>Address: 5 Rue Michelet, Rue Michelet, Dijon <BR>Price and Amenities: 1 Dbl, 1 Single, Jacuzzi, $116, AC, TV, 4 star restaurant; check in 2 pm, check out noon,free parking, bar and lounge, TV, minibar <BR> Phone: 33 3 80 30 28 10 <BR> <BR>9,10,11 Strasbourg <BR> Name: Hilton Strasbourg <BR> Address: Avenue Herrenschmidt <BR> Price and Amenities: $123 per night. Includes breakfast <BR> Phone: 33 388 371010 <BR> Hilton- business/deluxe room <BR> $123 includes breakfast buffet <BR> <BR>12 Reims <BR> Name: BW Hotel de la Paix <BR> Address: 9 Rue Buirette <BR> Price and Amenities: $71, breakfast, TV, 2 singles, sitting area <BR> Phone: 03 26 40 04 08