First time to Italy - 7 days in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a 7 day trip to Italy in late March. I've been to Europe a few times, but this will be my first trip to Italy. I really have no idea where to begin. I've always heard of Rome, Florence, and Venice, but I'm not sure how to break up my time as I will only have 7 days. I enjoy exploring a city without an itinerary and making discoveries along the way. I would rather be more relaxed than feeling like I have to be somewhere at a given time. I guess what I'm asking is, if you are a history-buff, love architecture, and the sea... where are 7 days best spent in Italy?
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Okay, Joy, you asked for opinions! So this is mine: 4 days Rome, 3 days Venice. Fly into one city and out of the other.

Wherever you choose, have a lovely time in Italy.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:39 AM

I too will say to pick two cities.
Florence and Venice make a good pair (I didn't get to Rome until my 3rd visit to Italy).
Or else, stay in Rome, daytrip to Florence and also to another town like Siena or Orvieto.

The sea is a different story, it won't exactly be beach weather. You could I suppose spend a day or two on Capri or in Sorrento, but a lot of places won't be open yet in March and there might not be much to do.
Of course, Venice IS surrounded by water.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Hi joym25, I like Leely's idea and if you buy an open jaw (multicity) airline ticket you won't have to do any backtracking. Best wishes planning your trip. You will have a wonderful time in Italy I am sure. There sure is plenty of history and architecture along with wonderful food and wine!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Or you could just stay in one place and not waste time in transit between locations. You'll give yourself sufficient time to really get the feel of the place and treated less like a tourist and more like a local. No pressure to be any particular place at any particular time.

Any of the three locations you mention would easily keep you busy for a week. Or you could stay somewhere a bit remote (but with good rail connections) and make day trips.

I recently returned from a week's holiday in Italy with a friend. Her first visit, my umpteenth. Initially she wanted to do Rome, Florence, and Venice, an option I flatly refused. I tried to convince her to spend the entire week in just one place but finally agreed to do Florence and Venice. At the end of our sojourns in each city she expressed regret that she didn't have more time to spend there.

I managed to keep from saying "I told you so."
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:19 AM
ira

Hi J,

My suggestion is Florence (4) and Venice (3)

or

the whole week in Rome.

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:24 AM
jgg

Since you listed history, architecture and the sea as your interests, I would agree with Leely and do Rome 4 nights Venice 3 nights. The other option would be Rome for the whole week, but anyone who loves the sea should probably spend time in Venice.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:29 AM

If you want relaxed, as you stated, then drop one of the cities. Do you have your plane tickets yet? If not. fly open-jaw (into one city and out of the other.) You could easily take a train between whatever cities you chose.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:38 AM

i concur with either 4 in Florence and three in Venice or all seven in Rome, perhaps with a side trip to Sienna.

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Joym25...Okay, you asked and here's my opinion. I have been to Italy twice now and the first time we went a week in Rome with an overnight side trip to Florence. The second time we went for two weeks and did Venice (three nights), Capri (five nights), Rome (two nights) and ended in Paris (two nights). Having said that....my first trip was more enjoyable because we had more time to explore and did not feel like we were in such a rush to stay on schedule.

So...Rome for a week or Florence/Venice. Definitely one or the other. Either way, you'll have a GREAT time. Good luck!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Everyone is correct. It realy depends on what you want to see.

Decide on what you want to see the most and then arrange your schedule.

While Florence can take a few days with surrounding areas, an overview can be done in 1 very quick day.

Possibly ideas.

Rome for 4 nights, very early start (EuroStar or Rapido train) to Venice with a sight-seeing stop in Florence, and then on to Venice.

Rome the full time with a long day trip to Florence.

Rome and Venice.

Does the 7 days include flying? If you arrive in the AM, start easy sight-seeing right after hotel check in. Take the high speed EuroStar (ES) or Rapido trains whenever possible. They are non-stop and fast. Make reservations for museum whenever possible. This will keep you from standing in line. Eventhough schedules can be stressful, plan your days activities and have few backtracking.

Above all do what you said about relaxing and enjoying yourself. Do not cram too much into the time you have.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 02:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think a whole week in Venice would be luxurious and my first choice! Or pair Venice with one other city or time in the countryside but not all 3 cities in a week.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your input!!

Based on everyone's input, I think I'm going to do Venice and Florence and save Rome for another trip. I do not want to fall in love with a city and immediately have to leave it. I hate it when that happens!!

Thanks again for all your help!!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:45 AM
ira

You are welcome, joy.