Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First time to Greece (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-time-to-greece-429375/)

jd2jc May 7th, 2004 03:19 PM

First time to Greece

We will be traveling to Greece for our 1st anniversary. First time there for both of us so we're joining tours and here's the itinerary:

5/24 Departing from USA to Athens

Gate1Travel Island Fling -
5/25-5/27 Mykonos (via air from Athens)
5/28-5/30 Santorini (via Ferry from Mykonos)
5/31 Athens (flying in from Santorini)

Classical Greece Land Tour (Peloponesse, Dephi, & Meteora)
6/1 Nauplion
6/2 Olympia
6/3 Delphi
6/4 Kalambaka
6/5-6/6 Athens
6/7 Flying home to USA

What's the weather like around late May to early June ? Are there enough to see & do in Athens or should we try to visit Cape Sounion ? Is it better join another (sigh -) half-day sunset tour or just rent a car & drive ? Is the drive "easy / safe" ?

Back in the USA, we usually drive all over the states. From reading about all the driving adventures in Greece, that was the reason why we didn't rent a drive to drive the Peloponnese / Delphi / Meteora.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions / recommendations.

yipper May 7th, 2004 05:05 PM

Hi,
The weather should be perfect that time of year. It will dry and warm. It seems you only have 1 day in Athens. There is plenty to see and do for 1 day. There is enough in Athens to keep you busy for several days. I have driven a lot in Greece and it is fine, but I am from Boston, which prepares one for driving any where. The trip sounds wonderful and you will have a terric itme. Enjoy!!!

treplow May 7th, 2004 07:56 PM

If anything, you won't have enough time to do just the things you will want to do in Athens. Fortunately, many of the major sights are sufficiently close to each other so that you can cover them on foot. I imagine that with the construction for the Olympics, travel by car or taxi in Athens will be a pain. Their subway system is very adequate, though.

As to Delphi: A suggestion - - - go to the Oracle very early in the morning, before the tour buses arrive. I got there just at about the time the sun came up, and it was an experience I never will forget. I won't describe it to you, but let you experience it yourself.

SK2005 May 8th, 2004 12:31 PM

We went to Greece for our Honeymoon last September. We visited Athens, Mykonos, and Santorini. My favorite was Santorini...most beautiful place I have ever been. We stayed in Athens for 2 nights and that was plenty of time for us to see everything.

There is NO WAY I would have driven or rented a car in any of these places. Greece is a very mountainous country, especially the islands. Everyone is on scooters and drive VERY agressively. The roads are also VERY narrow. I would not feel safe driving there and the thought never crossed our minds to rent a car b/c the public transportation was very good in all places.

You are going to have a great time!!

CarolJean May 8th, 2004 03:06 PM

We have only been to Greece once, flew from Italy, rented a car and drove to all of the places on your itinerary! (Except for the ferries to Santorini and Mykonos.) We had a fantastic time - no reservations except for the Herodian when we came back to Athens off the ferry. Have a wonderful time. We were there in Sept. I would go back in a heartbeat. Carol

Singletail May 8th, 2004 05:52 PM

The weather at the end of May-early June will be wonderful..not too hot yet and the sun not yet at its most blinding (although when you see that wonderful blue on the buildings in the islands and the total lack of smog you'll know whay they say that Greece was "chosen by the gods." And enjoy the "classical tour" too since the sites won't yet be jammed with tourists.

jd2jc May 10th, 2004 11:00 AM

Thanks for all your inputs / suggestions.

We will leave the afternoon trip to Cape Sounion open and decide on it the day before, depending on how much of Athens we have seen.