First time to France

Search

First time to France

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to France

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy but before heading back to Boston in April we'd like to explore France for a week or two. Other than Paris are there any other "Must See's" that people can recommend? Thank you for your help as it is very overwhelming!
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Are you willing to drive? If so, pick up a car at the French border and spend a week driving in the Provence and the Bourgogne to end your trip with a week in Paris.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I agree w/Michael. I lovelovelove Paris, but I consider anything-other-than-Paris a "must see" if you want to begin to get a sense of France.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:59 PM

The Loire valley is full of beautiful castles such as the one that Sleeping Beauty was based on. Some of them can be difficult to get to without a car though. One place that is always loved by Americans is Annecy which is in the Alps. Not far is Lyon which is a great place for a day or two if you want to experience a French city that isn't extremely touristy (although there are numerous tourist sites and it's the French food capital!) The French Riviera is always fun, but this past Spring in May it was still too cold for the water. Strasbourg is a place I had really wanted to see but never made it there before I left. It's a unique blend of French and German culture. If you're interested in history, you can visit Normandy and the D-Day sites. Monaco is extremely close to Nice and that is interesting too for a day. I hope this helps some!! Have a great trip!!
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 07:04 PM

I forgot to add my standard recommendation to those who do not know an area: get the Michelin Green Guide for France. The front includes itinerary suggestions.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:01 AM
ira

Hi M,

> are there any other "Must See's"

In no particular order:

Loire, Burgundy, Dordogne, Alsace/Lorraine, Aquitaine and the Pyrenees, Provence, Languedoc-Rousillon, Normandy, Brittany, the Auvergne.

You're going to have to do some research, I fear.

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:10 AM

Head south. You can't go wrong, the weather will be pleasant, the people are wonderful, and the food is amazing.
I love the Southwest.
Toulouse/Albi/ and environs.
Or Dordogne. Just gorgeous and great food.
People in the South are more open, looser. It's close to Italy so rent a car and drive, it will allow you to go to small towns. The french are good drivers.
April is a great time to travel, less tourists and a fresh climate.

Have fun!