Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time to Europe. Which is the best way to get to Vienna from Paris? Fly or train from Paris to Lyons (the large neighbouring city)?

First time to Europe. Which is the best way to get to Vienna from Paris? Fly or train from Paris to Lyons (the large neighbouring city)?

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 08:23 AM
Blanche

Alternatively should I hire a car?
Any advice would be most welcome.
Thank you
B.R.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 09:04 AM
Lee

Blanche: Vienna is not close to Paris, as I'm sure you know. I don't know if I'd call Lyon a "neighboring city".

Driving would be quite a trip. Taking the train may be wise, depending on how much time you have available. I would recommend that you fly into Vienna. If you can't do that, you could get closer by flying into Munich or maybe Prague or Salzberg.

Where is your point of origin? It may help if we know what that is.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 09:08 AM
Rex

Blanche,

It depends on your definition of "better" - - some people value time more; most seek savings in money.

The following (rather odd) combination might be the best hybrid of cheap and quick. It depends on whether you have touristic interests in the points in between.

Train Vienna-Munich
Fly Munich-London (STN) on Lufthansa
Fly London-Paris, most likely on British Midland or on Air France (Eurostar, the channel tunnel train, might also be a competitive alternative).

This makes sense primarily if you would enjoy seeing Munich and/or London, as the times for connection may or may not line up particularly well. Car rental will surely be an expensive alternative, as you will likely be charged a high surcharge to pick up in vienna and return in Paris (unless you are making a return trip to Vienna.

Another alternative would be train to Berlin, fly to Brussels on www.virgin-express.com, then train again to Paris.

As for Paris-Lyon, I am pretty sure that train makes a lot more sense than fly or drive. Unless, perhaps you can get this segment included as part of the travel that takes you into/out of Austria/France in the first place.

The website www.sncf.fr has fares and schedules for the Paris-Lyon route (and/or Brussels-Paris).

Please feel free to write me directly, if I can assistfurther, in any way.

Best wishes,

Rex
www.allexperts.com

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 12:11 PM
John

Blanche, Please forgive me if this posts twice or more, or if it turns up in the Canada forum. Oy.

Hey, you all - Blanche is referring (I bet) to Vienne, which is quite near Lyon, and not a bad place, either (great Roman theater).

Blanche, I'd take the train to Lyon then hire a car to drive around the area. No doubt there are other surface transport resources; I haven't checked on SNCF (rail) but they probably serve the town, also I'm sure there are buses.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 01:00 PM
Bob Brown

I had not thought about Vienne!! I took Vienna as written, which may well have put most of us off on a wild goose chase.
There are trains from LYON PERRACHE to Vienne, about a 30 minute ride. The French Vienne by the way is listed as Vienne 38 on the SNCF site in case anyone else needs to go there.
The Austrian city is Vienne-AUT.
If we are going to Vienna Austria from Paris, or coming from Paris from Vienna Austria, then we are talking a 14 hour train ride overnight.

It all reminds me of a time my mother was in California. Being from south Alabama she had something of a different accent. My dad was at Stanford University at the time. So someone there asked her where she was from. (Trying to figure the accent.) Mom said she was from Geneva. So the assumption was that she was from Switzerland.
Dad told her to keep quiet about it and hope it would go away. But, no. Someone spoke French to her. Mom spoke about as much French as your dog Bowser.
Oh well, can anybody tell me how to get to Greenville??? Fly, drive, or swim??

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 03:02 PM
harzer

Great detective work, John. Perhaps Blanche should not compose her messages in that corner pub.
A similar tale: some friends of mine went to Italy, hired a car and drove around having a great time. But darned if they could find Florence. They got mighty close, but all they could find were signs to Firenze, so they gave up in disgust and never did get to the Uffizi.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 04:08 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable.

You can leave Paris Gare de Lyon at 0900, not Sundays, change at Lyons Perrache 1115 to 1209, and reach Vienne at 1228. Or Paris 1100, Lyons Part-Dieu 1304 to 1324, Vienne 1354. Or Paris 1400, Lyons Perrache 1615 to 1622, Vienne 1643. There are further, evening, trains.

The Orient Express leaves Paris Est station at 1749 and reaches Vienna West station at 0840. It has a French buffet car in the evening and a Hungarian restaurant car in the morningning and and carries 1-, 2-, and 3-berth sleepers and 6-berth couchettes. The single second class one-way fare is 191 US dollars: to this you add 50 dollars for a berth in a 3-berth sleeper, and 18 dollars for a berth in a 6-berth couchette compartment.

To travel from Vienna to Paris by way of London or Berlin would be original, as a glance at the map will show.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 06:19 AM
Blanche

Thank you so much for all your replies.
Lee - I'll be flying out from Florida direct to Paris.
I had no idea there were two Viennas (learn something every day on this internet!). Well we recently went for the very first time to see a charming opera by that Vienna fellow Mozart. Since we'll be in France we thought we'd stop by at Lyons and also see his home town of Vienna.
John - So there is a Roman theatre! Would there be some plays there too?

Thanking you all

Blanche

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 07:21 AM
John

Absolutely. Get there early for a good seat.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 07:34 AM
Lee

Blanche: You are welcome. How about those guys that came up with Vienne! Very good!

If you are talking about Mozart's birthplace, I understood it to be Salzburg, Austria.

Is that where you wanted to go?

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 07:46 AM
Al Godon

Blance: First of all, the city/town Vienne in France is NOT spelled like the Austrian capital city, on English language maps, e.g. National Geographic, although it is in French -- hence the Vienne - AUT and Vienne - 38 designations to avoid mix ups. Secondly, Given that Vienna, Austria, was the capital city of the Hapsburg Empire for centuries, and even today it is one of the largest and most important cities in Europe, politically, economically and culturally, I find it amazing that you were ignorant of its existence!
I guess we should be glad that someone did not route you to Vienna in south Georgia! (The same applies to Cairo. Georgia has one of those too! However these towns are, respectively, Veye- innah as in he got Vi in a mess and Kaye-row as in Pa rowed the boat. Or as Louis Grizzard once asked about Ross Perot. Was his name pronounced Pah row as in pa rowed the boat or pea rot as in my garden was doing fine until the pea rot set in? Some of us opt for the latter phoneticisism.)
I can see it now, Blanche, fresh from the corner pub, presents herself at Gare de Lyon to purchase a ticket for Vienna.
Some 14 hours later she is rolling into
Wien Westbahnhof looking for Uncle Bill and Aunt Martha, who are standing on a train platform 600 plus miles away.
Oh well, all of us learned about the Orient Express from Ben, who should go into the travel consultant business with his vast knowledge. Anybody want a lesson in Euopean trains? Do a Forum search on "Ben Haines" and read; and enjoy. And that was A Number One sluething and deducing by John. Even King Rex, with his omnipotence, failed to make the astute deduction.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 08:33 AM
Blanche

Lee - I know Mozart was in Salzburg from that old movie "Amadeus". But he went to Vienna didn't he? Are you people now saying that he did not go to France?
Oh dear, i hope i do not have to change my itinerary too much.
Yes I want to visit where mozart played. I was told that this Beethoven guy was also from Vienna. Which Vienna was that though? I find it very confusing.
Al- I regret to disappoint you, but what is the Hapsberg Empire? Was it part of the Roman Empire? Are there any remnants about today? Where could I find these?
Sorry if I ask basic questions, but I do appreciate your advice.

Blanche.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 08:58 AM
Rex

This is taking on a lonelyplanet, Monty Python character.

Blanche,

Mozart was from AUSTRIA, AUSTRIA, AUSTRIA.

Lovely beaches there.

But beware the sharks.

And to Cottonseed Al - - I may be

Ubiquitous at times,
Striving for omniscient,
but omni-"potent" never.

As they say, once a king, always a king

But once a knight is enough.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 10:05 PM
harzer

OK, Blanche, now that we have all blanched at your profound ignorance, you can come out of the pub and confess that you have been pulling our collective legs all along. On the LP forum you are what is known as a troll.
TROLL, TROLL, TROLL!!!

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 05:25 AM
Falcon

Vienna is in Austria and not France. This mozart guy was a german who moved to vienna. I have no idea about this vienne place in france. If you want to go and see classical music then go to Austria becasue there is nothing to my knowledge in France - not even Paris.
Hope this is useful Blanche.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 05:50 AM
martha python

How does one see music?