Search

first time to europe trying to decide to go in march or july

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first time to europe trying to decide to go in march or july

well like i said we are trying to decide to go in December or July
this is what i am thinking but not sure yet still researching.
flying in london
staying 2 nights
taking the eurostar from london to paris
staying 3 nights in paris
taking the altaria overnight train to venice
2 nights in venice
flying back to london to go home
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM

Your title says March . . . your post says December. Which is it?

Why not fly home from Venice? Check multi-city flight options.

Also there are inexpensive flight between Paris and Venice. With so short a schedule, I wouldn't waste so much time on a train (especially since I can't sleep on a train).
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM

I never travel in July as I hate hot weather so I'd choose either March or December.

I'd also never do 3 places so far apart in 6 days.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally wouldn't do that trip in March, July, December or any other month.

London 2 nights - Why bother? That will only give you 1.5 days in the city and at least one of those will be jetlagged.

Pick two of those cities max. And definitely do open jaw - otherwise you'll have to return to London a day early to fly home the next day . . . .

Now -- clarify if you meant March or December. And IF you meant December, what exact dates? December has some special challenges - particularly over Christmas in London.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:14 PM

Hi

I would do July but that it because I like to travel to cities and go sightseeing in warm weather Here is a Paris trip report with some photos that I made after a visit there a couple of years back: http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
December will be very cold with fewer tourists in early December, getting busier towards Christmas. Short daylight hours.

March will still be cold but much better than December. It's off season so not so many tourists.

July will be much better weather but busy with tourists - peak season.

I would pick March or July. If it's March, pack warm clothes.

Kay
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 12:53 AM

Sorry, but this sounds like a really crazy itinerary - too much travelling between destinations and not enough time for each destination, esp. London.

I understand that you have just 6 1/2 days - with the first half day jet-lagged. I would do just 2 destinations in such a short time.

And about the idea of taking the train from Paris to Venice..
..you will hate trains after a 12-hour-overnight ride (do not think you can sleep well on an overnight train!). First class on an overnight train is bad, second class a torture.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 01:00 AM

I agree, for your first time I would stick to London and Paris with 6.5 days. I personally would choose just 1 location, but I like to to relax and take my time.

6.5 days is not enough time to do 3 as you will definitely lose 1/2 a day each time you move...I've taken the overnight train and yes it saves you some time, you still need to get your bags from the hotel, get to the train station, wait for the train, take the train, and then get your hotel on the other side.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM

I wouldn't do that trip, either, and really like to go to Europe in July. March is sort of an icky month in lots of places, I think. Generally unattractive weather and scenery, although there must be exceptions somewhere.

If it were Paris and London I'd definitely pick July, but I haven't been to Italy in July and that might not be so appealing. So maybe March, but I wouldn't do it in December which is another ugh month weatherwise, espec N Europe. July is nice because you don't need to lug as many clothes and it stays light so late, I really enjoy it. It isn't usually that hot in those places, after all, they are N Europe (but I'm from the US midwest and mid-Atlantic area, which is often worse).
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 09:42 AM

I would choose March over July always - I do not like Europe in the summer when it is packed with people, lines are long, weather is hot and prices are high.

And I would cut out one of those cities for sure. and do an open jaw on the two you pick.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 09:53 AM

I wouldn't take that trip at any time of year. Too many places too far apart in too short a timespan. If you must do this, at least book open-jaw tickets and fly between Paris and Venice.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:24 AM

Sometimes...less is more.

Every transfer between cities takes away time from being a tourist. Every flight takes more of that time away (to/from airport..and early for return), jetlag can make a middle of the first day. So while on a calendar you have a certain # of days, on the pavement...you have less.

London/Paris is a good combo. This will be an overview trip, you can't do justice to either city in that amount of time..you can, however, wet your appetite.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM

We always travel during off-season, so I too would pick December and/or March over July. I just don't like heat and crowds. And I also agree that you are probably trying to do too much in too short of a time.

Tracy
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 11:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I like cities in the winter and countryside in the summer. In December or March, the cultural season is in full swing and you are more likely to find theater and concerts that are not just geared toward tourists, if that is something that interests you when you travel.

That said, I was in both London and Lisbon last month and had a great time. So I wouldn't rule out July either.

But I wouldn't take the trip outlined in the original post. I would fly into the first city and out of the last one. These "open jaws" flights are not usually more expensive than round trips to and from the same city, and they save lots of time and the expense of backtracking at the end of the trip. As mentioned above, check out the multi-city option on the site you are using to find flights.

I would not visit so many cities in such a short time nor would I take the overnight train to Venice, but some people might enjoy that kind of hectic itinerary.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 06:21 PM

March or December -- never July. Remember there is a possibility of a heat was in July and a lot of hotels don't have A/C. A hotel in 90F weather without A/C doesn't sound like fun.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 06:44 PM

We just did Italy ending this week. Yes it was hot but it was also very comfortable in the evening, lots of sunlight, easy to pack for. Give me July over December/March anytime, especially for London.