My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe for next September. It is our first time visiting and we of course want to see as much as we can but realize it will not be our only trip to Europe (although it seems the world could end at any day) so I don't want to get caught up in trying to do too much, a seemingly common pitfall on these forums. I've sort of constructed a rough first draft of an itinerary, I'm just wondering if anyone can offer me any advice or thoughts or whatever. It seems fairly reasonable to me, I would be okay with changing it however. At this point we are thinking of going to 5 cities in 22 days. I thought it might better to skip Germany altogether but my wife really wants to see Berlin. I do too but I also thought it might be better to save Germany for a different trip. For me Paris and Rome are definitely important My wife is half-Italian so Italy is important for her too. I really want to see the UK (my roots) but am saving it for another trip as I think it would be better that way. Though I could see doing a couple of days in London as a starting point b/c it's so easy to get to Paris from there. It's just that other than Amsterdam it seems like a pain getting to anywhere from Paris with only 3 weeks.... Though to be fair the distances in Europe are nothing like we are used to here in Canada or the States, for that matter. Anyway. here's my idea right now, I would love to here yr suggestions, advice, tips, insults, whatever. Help me out here!...
Day 1 Arrive in Paris (pretty long flight from Vancouver, BC)
Day 2 Paris
Day 3 Paris
Day 4 Paris
Day 5 Paris
Day 6 Paris-Amsterdam (4 hours by train)
Day 7 Amsterdam
Day 8 Amsterdam - Berlin (6.5 hours by train
Day 9 Berlin
Day 10 Berlin
Day 11 Berlin
Day 12 Berlin-Munich (9 hours by overnight train)
Day 13 Munich
Day 14 Munich
Day 15 Munich-Venice (Night train 9 hrs)
Day 16 Venice
Day 17 Venice-Rome (high speed train 3hrs)
Day 18 Rome
Day 19 Rome
Day 20 Rome - Day trip somewhere close?
Day 21 Rome
Day 22 Going Home
What do you think of that?? Too long in any places? Not enough time? I mean that is subjective I suppose. BUT It's frustrating to hear someone say 'oh you must stay in Paris for AT LEAST 3 weeks to immerse yourself in the culture" Sorry, time is short on this earth and I work too much so I can't just go backpacking for a year at this point! I'm not a rich man, or retired and I'm also not 18. Maybe someday I'll go live in another country and really immerse myself but not now - this is a getaway - so don't tell me something like that please. I've seen it in other forums.... ok please help me out here, want to have a nice trip, get a sense of these cities without totally immersing myself but not have it feel like a whirlwind exhausting, annoying trip (sorry i can't think of a different word than 'immerse' right now). Thank you in advance for your useful advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 2 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 3 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 4 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 5 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 6 Is the scenery in South Italy worth the trip by train
- 7 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 8 New Years in France
- 9 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 10 Help me with an affordable hotel in Barcelona
- 11 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 12 Rome - Naples - Paestum - Salerno - Ravello Trip Report
- 13 Hip Pocket Wifi
- 14 Amalfi as a home base for the Amalfi Coast
- 15 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 16 Paris November 2017
- 17 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 18 where to buy baby gifts in paris?
- 19 What is your favorite Greek Island?
- 20 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 21 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 22 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 23 August - Croatia, Italy, Malta
- 24 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 25 US dairy vs European Dairy
First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please