Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time to Croatia: looking for unique must-see experiences,

Old Jan 16th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorties! Appreciate any help in (first time) 3 wk Croatia trip in mid-June. SoCal Family of 3 including an 18yr old shutterbug son. We love adventuring, exploring and dining on delicious local food. Looking for amazing farm-(or sea) to-table meals and/or lodging with Mom and Pop style establishments. Love biking, swimming, hiking, wine! We are flexible as our trip planning is just in motion. We adore Anthony Bourdain and his travel methods/style. Rough start is: land in Dubrovnik. explore Mljet, Hvar and Vis. Krka, Dalmatian Coast. Split. Plivitce. Likely fly out of Zagreb or back to Split (depends on fare). We have a few places (apartments) held on booking.com. Happy to change gears and make adjustments in the planning process. We adore rustic, charm, local flavor. Culture, history and art. We enjoy "mixing it up"! Please share your most memorable experiences with us! Thank you!
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 07:57 PM
kja

Croatia is delightful! Some comments:

In mid-June, Hvar Town will likely be jammed with a party-hearty crowd. If you want to visit Hvar, consider other locations on the island.

The Plitvice Lakes National Park is, IMO, truly a "unique must-see" place -- but it will also likely be jammed at that time of year. Consider spending 2 nights in / near the park so you can see part late one day and the rest of the main section as early as possible the next day, thereby minimizing your exposure to day-trippers. Many of the B&Bs in the area serve extraordinarily fresh fish dinners. I had a memorable meal at the Villa Mukinja, and have seen at least one other place recommended here -- you might do a search.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 02:44 AM

Instead of Hvar in June, have a look at Brac. It's only 50 minutes by ferry from Split, the ferries are frequent. And when you get off the ferry you're straight into Supetar, with the bus station opposite the very small ferry terminal. Beautiful island.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. Great advice. Love visiting National Parks after day trippers leave. Will look into the B & B. Good idea to steer clear of Hvar or at least explore other areas of the island. Will research Brac.

Looking into Rovinj also. Wine visits and possible stay at vineyard.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 07:17 AM

I had this high on my list for planning a trip next year. You stay in their villas and then have day trips on their boat. https://www.korculaadventures.com/our-packages/
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 08:32 AM

Rovinj is my favorite (haven't been to the Dalmatian coast yet). Its quite small, you would only need the day to see the little town. But it is the perfect place to relax. There is beach access and also some islands nearby you can visit. Pula is about 45 minutes away and there are Roman ruins, mosaics, and an arena.

But this is me - I really am unclear what you're looking for when you say "unique, must-see experiences" as they vary from person to person. Spend some time in guidebooks to see what un each of these cities fits YOUR definition of unique, must-see experiences.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

I'll check it out...thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travel_Nerd View Post
Rovinj is my favorite (haven't been to the Dalmatian coast yet). Its quite small, you would only need the day to see the little town. But it is the perfect place to relax. There is beach access and also some islands nearby you can visit. Pula is about 45 minutes away and there are Roman ruins, mosaics, and an arena.

But this is me - I really am unclear what you're looking for when you say "unique, must-see experiences" as they vary from person to person. Spend some time in guidebooks to see what un each of these cities fits YOUR definition of unique, must-see experiences.
Thank you! We are adding Rovinj and Pula to the list.

True...unique and must-see varies person to person. Mainly...if a Fodorite had a "highlight" experience (to them), I'd love to know about it. Also, most unique experiences are those not on the tourist path nor in guidebooks. I've relied on personal experiences from this forum in the past. Fodorite travelers are the best!
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 05:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
In Dubrovnik. you will want to visit the 8th Wonder Of The Modern World ... The Buza Bar. (Link below on the day I found Nirvana).

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...-the-buza-bar/

Old Jan 30th, 2019, 09:24 AM

We visited the Dalmatian coast last September. Our favorite stop was Vis; however, you might be required to book 3 nights. It is very undeveloped and laid back. We stayed at Villa Vis in Kut, which we really liked, but I'm not sure whether they have triples. We took a private boat tour to the Blue Cave, Green Cave, Blue Lagoon, and Stiniva Beach from Vis. The Blue Cave was not nearly as beautiful as the Blue Grotto in Capri, but swimming in the Green Cave was fantastic. The boat trip to get to the locations was really fun. We also rented a scooter to tour the island. I am a big chicken, but I cannot tell you how much fun it was. The views were amazing!

You need to look at how you are going to get between islands. There is a catamaran between Hvar and Vis, but only on Tuesdays. Other days, you need to go back to Split.
We wished we had stayed in Stari Grad rather than in Hvar town, and we were there at the end of September when things were starting to wind down. I don't think I would want to spend a lot of time in Hvar town in season, but we are not partiers.

Split--Konoba Marjan for fresh fish was delicious!

Pitvice was packed even in late September. Be sure to get there before it even opens in the morning.

A second vote for the Buza bars in Dubrovnik. We visited both and loved them! Walk the walls in Dubrovnik as soon as they open. You might want to check cruise ship schedules and pick a day to walk the walls when there are fewer passengers in port. We booked our entire trip based on when there would be no cruise ships in Dubrovnik. There were none in Split either, which made a big difference.

We absolutely loved Croatia! Enjoy!