Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First time pond jumper...*nervous* (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-time-pond-jumper-nervous-292591/)

shuttlebuggy Jan 26th, 2008 05:28 PM

First time pond jumper...*nervous*

I had a fear of flying all my life (in my 40's) then my kid had the chance to study abroad a semester...(you probably know where this ones going!)...so I figured I better start overcoming the fear before I would have to contemplate visiting abroad.
So last Fall I began taking short hops out to the Midwest and back to the Northeast to visit. I flown a total of 8 takeoffs and 8 landings, all with Southwest and I have no complaint at all, and got to experience different "styles" of pilots putting the plane down, etccc.
That being said - I am worried about the overseas flight which is booked a few weeks from now.
I am afraid about the length of the flight, anxiety factor, jet lag, and what the heck I will do after 4 hours - I think that much for me will be do-able - but the last 4 or so hours - what do y'all do??? I haven't mastered the art of sleeping while sitting up - I have insomnia most times anyways...
Okay - I will be bringing some meds for that but it won't make me sleep.
Sorry for the longwindedness but I need some good coaching on this to make it through...

Grandma Jan 26th, 2008 05:40 PM

I was sort of like you. My first transatlantic flight was supposed to leave at 7PM.. got in the air after midnight and a raging thunder and lightening storm. Flight overbooked, volunteers asked to give up seats, etc. By the time it took off I didn't give a hoot about anything.
(Plus the vodkas I'd had while waiting had worn off.)
Needless to say, like thousands of other people that day we made it to our destination. If you don't want to sleep take a good book... something of the beach reading type.(Really good schlock keeps me going.) Take some comfort food in case the stuff on board is inedible. Take strolls in the aisle... maybe a cat nap or two.

If you have access to Salon.com read some of the articles there under the heading "Ask the Pilot". Patrick Smith is a commercial pilot with a wonderful sense of style and he's full of information for people like you and me -:)

tcreath Jan 26th, 2008 05:45 PM

First of all, good for you for making the journey! You will have a wonderful time and it was all be worth it.

Everyone has their own ways of dealing with long plane rides and jetlag. Mine involve taking an Ambien right before takeoff and sleeping through the flight. I usually wake up when breakfast is being served and find that sleeping helps me tremendously with jet lag. I also take an Ambien on my first night in Europe because if I don't there is a good chance that I will go to bed just find but find myself wide awake at 2 am.

If you can't sleep, take a book, guidebook or magazines, or watch the in-flight entertainment. If you are on a newer flight you will have a personal entertainment system on the back of the seat in front of you. These come with quite a few movies and tv shows to choose from, in addition to various radio stations that you can listen to with headphones that will be places in your seat prior to your departure.

It's a long flight but honestly it's not so bad. I did a 14 hour flight to Japan in October that makes our 8 hour flights to Europe seem like cake in comparison! But that flight seemed to go quickly as well.

Best wishes,
Tracy

LoveItaly Jan 26th, 2008 05:45 PM

Hi shuttlebuggy, I am not nervous about flying but flying from California to Europe is a long flight. A couple of good books saves my sanity. And I am able to eventually doze off a half hour or so here and there after a glass of wine. And I too would bring a bit of food to nibble on. You will survive, honest!!

Pegontheroad Jan 26th, 2008 05:46 PM

Take some kind of sleep aid such as Benedryl. Bring and use foam earplugs, an eye mask and a u-shaped pillow. My sleep pillow is inflatable, so it doesn't take up much room. I don't sleep well on planes, but I can ususally sleep a little if I do all of the above.

Bring a really good book--the kind you can't put down--to read if you can't sleep. Watch the movie, even if you don't like it. If you like doing puzzles, such as crosswords, anacrostics, or sodoku (sp?), then bring one or more of them.

If you drink alcohol, have a couple of belts.

Kellye Jan 26th, 2008 06:09 PM

I wouldn't bring the benadryl personally. Flying is dehydrating and the benadryl can worsen that effect. I couldn't personally do that.

As to suggestions for the flight...my first transatlantic flight was last summer (also in my 40's). I took an iPod and noise-cancelling headphones, some knitting, a novel, a travel guide, a magazine, an eye mask, some comfy socks, an inflatable neck pillow and a small fleece blanket...and a water bottle.

I took Ambien with dinner and then slept about 3 hours. Note--close the window shade. My eye mask slipped and as soon as I saw the sun through the window, I was awake and that was that. Next time I'll close the window shades. I walked around some, listened to music, attempted TV, but couldn't focus on that, wrote in a journal and just dreamed about the adventure I was on.

There are podcasts available that deal with flight anxiety, as well as travel podcasts. If you have an mp3, you could download some of those and listen to those during the flight as well. I enjoyed the podcasts more than music actually.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. Bon Voyage!

shuttlebuggy Jan 26th, 2008 06:09 PM

You are all so good to offer the helpful advice you have ~ I am going to heed a bunch of it!
I have had an illness that brought me to the brink about 7 yrs back, lost both my parents within 90 days of each other this year and so...I am figuring the flying on this trip is nothing compared with those things - I will survive to tell about it I'm sure!
I think I will get the mask thing for when I am there and need to nap.
I knit and crochet so I am going to bring 2 small projects to alternate between too. I was able to take plastic and wooden hooks and needles on the plane - someone said I could have had my metal ones but I didn't want to have any trouble and then not be able to do my project!
The computer - is it necessary? I am not sure you can go online - don't think so - so what would I use it for anyway?
Books - I will start hunting a couple down. And I do like word searches - they make me dozy after a few.
Earplugs - I have trouble with the foam kind - they want to expand and fall out all the time - any others???
Thanks all and if I think of other stuff I am so glad you are all here!!! Many thanks again!

magialmemories Jan 26th, 2008 06:28 PM

I would avoid the alcohol as it takes a big toll on the body in the air. I have insominia too and will take an Ambien and take No-jet-lag as well on my trip from CA to London. It's important imo to think about the recovery time as well as how to pass the time. I like the deep sleep system from Hearos corporatetravelsafety.com
I try and drink a ton of water, take the no jet lag as directed and moisturize a lot (I like the aromotherapy from Bath and Body)The ear plugs are a must and a great book is a close second. My family cant travel without their i-pods and my husband has to have his noise cancel head phones. Dont forget to dress comfortably, bring a blanket and pillow and dont forget to pack some snacks because the airline choices are so limited and very expensive.
The trick is to be comfortable and have as short a recovery time as possible. If you dont use sleep aid meds regularly you might want to make sure you have some Tylenol on hand in case you wake up with a "hang-over". Finally check in with seatguru.com. I checked and I had the last seat that didnt recline and was able to choose a different seat without getting stuck next to the bathroom!

Good Luck :)

Fra_Diavolo Jan 26th, 2008 06:38 PM

I'd stay home. Kid won't really want you to visit (trust me on this) -- and a semester is pretty short. Why bother overcoming a widely shared phobia for a short visit?

Nope. Stay home or take the Queen Mary II.

LoveItaly Jan 26th, 2008 07:31 PM

Hi shuttlebuggy, yes dress comfortably, no tight binding clothes. And may I suggest if you plan on taking something to help you sleep or relax on the plane that you try it out days before while you are at home to see how it affects you.

kgh8m Jan 26th, 2008 07:54 PM

Congrats to you on making the commitment to travel. I think, however, you are over-worrying about filling your time on the plane. As was mentioned, many of the transatlantic flights have personal entertainment units - so you can watch 3 or more movies on the way over. This is what I do - I usually have a couple of magazines available in my seat pocket, but I never get very far in them.

As for comfort, wear comfortable clothes and a cardigan or light jacket, so you can add or remove layers based on your comfort and the temperature. Wear comfortable shoes that will be easy to slip on and off while you're seated. Try an inflatable neck pillow, eye shade and ear plugs/head phones if you'd like to give yourself the best chance of sleeping on the plane.

However, if you don't sleep well on a plane and are prone to trouble with jet lag, simply accept that fact and don't overbook yourself for the day you land. The easiest way to deal with it is not to stress out about it and try to do more than your tired body can handle.

Have fun!

SeaUrchin Jan 26th, 2008 09:05 PM

When I first started flying to Europe from Los Angeles I would stop for a few hours on the East Coast to break up the flight. Sometimes I would stay the night and other times just for the few hours to get off the plane and walk around, have something to eat and then start the next leg of the trip. Finally I advanced to the one long flight trip scenerio. Can you upgrade to Business Class or First? It makes a big difference.

One thing that eased my mind about flying such long hours was when I read that Rick Steves hates flying from the NW. I felt better knowing he does it for a living and still hates it (or did a few years ago).

tara3056 Jan 26th, 2008 09:16 PM

I don't sleep well on planes either (I'm lucky to get an hour or two at most before landing) and I'm somewhat of a fearful flyer too, though probably not so much as you.

In any case, I've found that the personal in-flight entertainment units are a huge help. You can listen to music, play trivia games against the other passengers, and have a nice selection of movies from your own seat. It's much more immersive than the old flip-down tvs every 5th row or whatever. Not all airlines have this though. I usually fly NWA and they do.

Books, magazines, knitting... all that will help too. Comfy clothes and an eyemask + bringing a light cardigan/sweater in case you get chilly are always good ideas.

Personally Ambien doesn't work well for me. It's not strong enough to really knock me out, doesn't help my anxiety per se, and the quality of sleep I get on it is terrible. I actually find Xanax or Valium or some other anti-anxiety drug to be much better. It makes me a bit sleepy but also takes away the anxiety so that I can give myself "permission" to doze off if I want. But if you decide to use something, whatever it is, the cardinal rule is always to try it at home before the flight so you know how you react to it.

Last but not least, you will be amazed at the difference between the flights you've taken in the US and the international one. The plane will be huge and not so claustrophobic-feeling and the take off and landing is generally much easier. Once you're in the air, it's usually so smooooth you'd barely know you were flying. Seriously, I'd much rather be on a big plane anyday than on a smaller one!

L84SKY Jan 26th, 2008 09:33 PM

Save a couple of crossword puzzles.

Bring a book or two, light reading only. I think romances were made for airplane travel. Someone like Nora Roberts, she's a good story teller, if you lose the book you'll know how it ends.

Walk around the plane, drink plenty of water and watch the silly movie, do the plane exercises too.

When you get to your destination, don't go to sleep. Just stay up and walk around zombie like then go to bed early and you'll feel better the next day.

About the anxiety factor. I used to have a fear of flying. So, I imagined the worst that could happen, once I realized that if that happened, it would happen pretty quickly it took a lot of the worry out of it. Besides, it doesn't happen that often.

Have a great time.

Cowboy1968 Jan 26th, 2008 11:52 PM

I had to smile a bit reading your worries about your first long-distance flight because I have been going back and forth from Europe to North America a few dozen times, and I still suffer from "4 hour boredom". After 4-5 hours, my attention span for anything like reading, or watching inflight entertainment goes down to 15-30 minutes, so I'm acting a bit like an obnoxious kid who needs a new toy every half hour. I usually take many different (but not bulky) means of distraction with me.

But: Since this will be your first flight across many time zones, you don't know yet how well your body may take that. Many people have no problems going East, while others have less jet lag going West. Maybe you will even fall asleep for a few hours due to the thin air in the airplane. That is hard to anticipate.

If your kid will pick you up at your final destination, you could try some pills or the booze (but better not both!) - if you feel the need. I would not take any drugs or drink alcohol, if I had to proceed with a rental car at my destination, since the effect of alcohol is substantially higher when you are in the air.

The only real cure is when your body will start to adjust to the local time zone - usually after one or two nights of sleep. If it is possible for you, you could try to go to sleep earlier than usual when you are still in the US - but for some people that does not work either.

sheila Jan 27th, 2008 12:51 AM

I'm just pleased you've managed the same number of landings as take-offs:)

Good luck

PatrickLondon Jan 27th, 2008 01:10 AM

I always find I've taken far too much to read, especially since I find myself whiling away the wait to board in the bookshops.

Airlines know they have to keep the customers fed, watered and diverted: they all vary in how they do it, but the chances are you'll have at least one film to watch, some audio channels and magazines to explore, quite apart from what you've brought.

Much more important to wear comfortable clothes and not to pass up any opportunity to keep yourself hydrated (especially if you are relying on the patent preparations of Drs Smirnoff, Gordon or Bell).

Attnymom Jan 27th, 2008 05:34 AM

I don't like to fly either, so I try to look at it is a great opportunity to have several hours of uninterrupted time to read my book. Also, I always get cold on airplanes - which just makes the experience worse. I recently found a great little travel pillow/blanket at Eddie Bauer. It is a down blanket (36 in. by 54 in.) that folds up very compactly into a down "pillow case". When you get on the plane, you take your blanket out and put the airplane pillow into your own pillow case. When the flight is over, fold up your blanket, put it back in the pillow case holder and stuff it in your carry-on. It really does not take up much room at all and it has been wonderful to have on my last few flights. Even better - it's on sale right now : ) If you can make yourself as comfortable as possible, it will be easier to let yourself be distracted by the movie, book, music, etc. . . and the time will pass more quickly.

You will be fine and once you get there you will be so happy that you didn't let a fear of flying deprive you of such a wonderful experience. Good luck!

BTilke Jan 27th, 2008 06:29 AM

Another nervous flier here. Since we live in Europe, whenever possible, I'll take a train instead of fly, even if the journey takes much longer (example: the 12 hour train ride from Brussels to Vienna v. a 90 minute flight).

No choice with transatlantic travel. Although I hate turbulence, this site has some reassuring and interesting facts:
http://www.fearlessflight.com/flight...rbulence-facts

If your route takes you over Greenland, be prepared for turbulence there.

sunnyflorida Jan 27th, 2008 06:36 AM

I am a physician. I recommend that you do not drink alcohol or take benedryl for your first long flight when you have flight anxiety. I do recommend you discuss your fears with your primary care physician. He/she has other patients like yourself, and has written for a few Xanax or Ambien or Lunesta to help someone fly before. For someone who does not have flight anxiety, I think Lunesta or Ambien or similar works just fine for transatlantic/pacific flight. You can get some sleep. For anxiety, I agree with another poster that Xanax is really a consideration. Ask the doctor if s/he might write for the lowest dose for about 4-6 pills, and ask for personalized advice on how to take it.
GENERAL ADVICE TO REVIEW WITH YOUR DOCTOR: You can try taking it before the flight at bedtime one night, just to see how you will feel the following day. The reason I advise having more than you need is to try it ahead, and to know that the lowest dose is quite low, and if you take it and you feel absolutely nothing you can take two. I would advise taking one once you reach the airport, and a second one when you take your seat if you still feel anxious. Then take no other meds, no alcohol, and drink lots of fluids. Repeat on the way back. And remember, print this up for your doc to review BEFORE YOU TAKE MY ADVICE.
You don't have to pass on the trip. You have prepared yourself for the trip by taking small trips. Maybe you get a small prescription and it acts as a security blanket and you don't even need it! GO visit your kid and have a great time.