First time London and neighbouring regions with kids and seniors

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our group consists of 11 individuals including 3 youngsters aged between 11 and 13 and a senior aged 60. We are from Malaysia. We arrive in London 3rd week of May and return to Malaysia early June. Our first stop is in London where we stay with a relative and we hope to :

-visit Manchester United and Liverpool stadiums for the football enthusiasts among us
- visit Paris, perhaps Disneyland, maybe Lourdes
- visit Rome, Florence
- visit Zurich
we would like to do some sightseeing, some light shopping and have some things to see where children would be interested in.
We've tried looking in the net and gathered some info at the local travel fairs but are very confused with the multitude of options available. Just looking for suggestions on what itinerary we could follow especially what transport ie rail, coach which is quite cheap but reliable. As for the destinations, we are not fixed on those mentioned, just some ideas we had. Look forward to any help anyone out there could give.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 06:38 AM

Have you booked open jaw airline tickets?
With a group this size, the logistics get complicated, even more so when you need to move the crowd from city to city. For that reason, I would limit locations, and use day trips. You may already have too many location for...14 days?
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 08:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
From where I'm looking -- 60 is not a 'senior'

How many days total do you have? What you describe could be anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks. But whether 2 or 3 weeks -- it is not enough time for London, Manchester, Liverpool, Paris, Disneyland Paris, Lourdes, Rome, Florence and Zurich. And more so w/ a group of eleven. Everything takes longer the more people traveling together.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 08:58 AM

The larger the group, the larger the 'issues'

Does everyone want to go to Manchester, to Disneyland Paris? You may need to plan parallel trips, where some go off to do what interest them, others stay/go somewhere else.

Need to know the exact amount of time, budget,etc.. An apartment rental might be the way to go, but with 11 people, that's probably...3/4 apartments
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Will you go to London? The War Museum is great. Tower of London Tour with the crown jewels & beheadings is great. We had high tea in our hotel, which they enjoyed. Subway, theater, etc. The actual bridge tour was just so-so. Wouldn't do that again.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 09:23 AM

<i>Tower of London Tour with the crown jewels & beheadings is great. </i>

The actual beheadings finished a few years ago. Too many foreign tourists fainted when the axe came down.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 09:48 AM

I think the OP needs to put on paper ASAP a plan. To get multiple accomodations in multiple cities and transit between those countries in 4 WEEKS is going to be...stressful.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

tks everyone. not planning on flying to places we're visiting. whats yr view on Eurail and such passes? would it be ok to book those passes first and then find Bed&Breakfast as we go along?
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 06:20 AM

There are many problems with your plan.

Most B&B's can't accommodate 11 people. In fact, only the largest hotels might have enough rooms available on short notice.

A Eurail pass will not cover the Eurostar trip from London to Paris. You can find cheaper tickets for that if you book early, like 3 months ahead of time.

On the continent riding the faster trains with a rail pass requires a seat reservation for a specific train, an extra charge.

I think you need the help of a travel agent. With this many people you can't just travel on whim. You must have your plans set in stone with reservations for hotels.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 07:12 AM

I would not be worrying about rail pases right now.

What flights have you booked? Into London and...?

Plot out on paper where you want to be. Realize that for every change of location, you will need to find accommodations for 11 people. This may involve a lot of work, sometimes involving multiple hotels.

Train tickets, I would do those after confirming I had someplace to sleep.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 07:15 AM

Please, please do not arrive into Paris, Florence, Rome, or Zurich without having made ADVANCE hotel reservations.
You'll likely not be able to find any hotel, much less a B&B ,that will be able to accommodate all 11 of you.

Your trip calls for group planning and a travel agent can be very useful in getting you from place to place.

Also do yourself a favor and look at a site such as raileurope just to get an idea of the travel time between the cities you want to visit.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Michel, after Ldn we plan to travel via train or coach - is that crazy? - its a plan driven by our budget constraint.. I would ask if you all knew of an inexpensive travel agent if not for an earlier comment somewhere that this community would know better
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 07:45 AM

For us to help you you need to help us:

What are your exact dates?
Where are you flying into and out of?
What is your tentative schedule?
What is your budget (in ££ and €€) for accomodations?

You need to give us something work with before we can even begin to help. As it stands we are just guessing you have two weeks and if that is the case you have WAY too much you are trying to pack in. If you have two weeks, with that amount of people I would pick 2-3 locations as home bases (London, Paris and 1 other). You can then determine what reasonable day trips are.

You are going to use up at LEAST 1/2 a day changing locations with that many people, if not more so every time you move you are losing the better part of a day.

You cant see everything in 2 weeks, so you will have to be selective.

You definitely need to book accomodations and in most cases transport in advance - especially between London and Paris. In that case you book the train on www.eurostar.com and the sooner you book the cheaper it is so you need to sort your itinerarly immediately.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 08:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It is VERY difficult for any of us to help you because:

• you are leaving in a month

• There are eleven of you - w/o accommodations booked you may be sleeping rough.

• you have no fixed plans (at least none that you've told us)

• You possibly have not looked at a map of Europe -- the cities you want to visit are hundreds of miles apart. Trains -- and especially buses - will take hours to get from place to place.

If you have budget concerns -- you need to cut back to 2 or 3 locations. Moving costs money -- and w/ 11 it costs a LOT of money. One person backpacking around, you can leave thing to the last minute and often make things work. But a group of eleven needs coordination/planning/advance booking. I normally recommend booking/planning on your own -- but at this late date you REALLY do need to find a local travel agent where you live and turn things over to them
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Buses are not a viable option - since the times involved can be horrendous. Train is faster - but to get decent fares you typically have to buy in advance (you may be too late).

Finding hotels at this point with as many rooms as you need will be difficult unless you have an unlimited budget (sounds lke not). You need to tell us waht you can spend per night for how many rooms (without knowing who everyone is we don;t know if you can be squashed into 3 rooms or need 4 or 5).

You are tyring to go WAY too may places - esp with such a large group.

Come back with detailed information and people will try to help. BUT - I think you may have waited too long for this to work out well.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

anyone know of a tour that has English tour guide for 10 days Europe tour?
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

is taketours or gotobus legitimate?
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 01:41 AM

Cat,
I think you see most replies are negative about your plans as you have been so vague.

As suggested, you really need to think carefully about the important things you and your group want to do. I suggest you look at a map where these places you want to go to are - they are miles apart and often in different directions!

In the time available, the maximum you can visit is London, Paris and Rome. And use highspeed (Eurostar or TGV) train or budget airlines to travel or you will spend most of the trip looking out of a coach window.

Forget Manchester, Liverpool, Zurich and Lourdes. Nothing much to see and too much time to get there.

Can't your relatives in London give you better guidance?

You wouldn't be disappointed if you stayed in London for the duration with odd day trips out like Bath, Brighton and Stratford upon Avon. But Paris is worth the trip and Disneyland Paris is probably the prettiest of all the Disney parks.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

tks keith. everyone - some details left out - we are family so squashing is fine, but i guess B&B/hotels follow their # of persons per unit strictly..?

What are your exact dates?
Where are you flying into and out of?
our travel dates are flying KL-Ldn 23 May and return on 10 June.

What is your tentative schedule? basically, we plan to start travelling to places on 28 Mar for abt 7 days and return to Ldn for the remaining holiday
What is your budget (in ££ and €€) for accomodations? a tour package worked out RM3k per person for tour/accommodation/meals/transport and that seemed ok
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 06:18 AM

A tour would be a really good solution for you, especially as you seem to have found one that is affordable. Transportation and accommodations all taken care of instantaneously.

Ordinarily we would suggest flying open jaws, into London, out of some other city, say Rome. That would be a more efficient use of your short time. (And open jaws -- or multi-city -- tickets should cost about the same as round-trip.) But a tour would probably be leaving from London and returning to London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -