Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First time in Scotland and Ireland...Any tips? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-time-in-scotland-and-ireland-any-tips-88163/)

Jessica Sep 28th, 2000 10:14 AM

First time in Scotland and Ireland...Any tips?

Hi! You guys helped me out so much with my trip to Italy this summer, I figured this was a good place to start with the "Lands" trip. A friend and I are taking two weeks this May to go to Scotland then Ireland. We are spending about five days in Scotland, then nine in Ireland. Any good tips? We want to see Edinburgh, Glasgow and some stone circles. I have heard not to go to Stonehenge because it is fenced and touristy and icky. Any other suggestions would be great. I am looking for inexpensive places to stay too and maybe a couple local haunts or great pubs. Thank you so much and good luck to all of you on your travels!! <BR> <BR>Jess

Jessica Sep 28th, 2000 10:26 AM

PS I've read all of Diana Gabaldon's books and can't wait to see some of the sights!!! <BR>

Judy Sep 28th, 2000 03:07 PM

Hi Jessica,, I know I am supposed to buoycott this sub-forum, but I just had to respond to your post! The itinerary you propose is similar to what I want to do.....I will be interested in the reponses also.....we are going in end of June-into July for 14 days,,,,I too read Diane's books, and can not wait to see the "lands" also.....I did see Stonehenge and I loved it!!!But I want to walk around some smaller stone circles. Hope you get some good info, and will share the wealth...

Sheila Sep 28th, 2000 04:56 PM

I've put abunch of stuff about Edinburgh; and lot about Glasgow into a couple of Word documents and if you would like I'll e-mail them. They're a bit big to post. <BR> <BR>Stone circles? Orkney; Callanish; the North east and Temple Woods, Argyll <BR> <BR>Orkney has the Ring of Brogar and Stenness and lots more besides <BR> <BR>Callanish is on Lewis in the Outer Hebrides. <BR> <BR>the North east has dozens of Recumbent Stone circles and a superb visitor centre which interprets them for you. <BR> <BR>And Kilmartin Glenin Argyll has a cracking example of linked circles with lots of other stuff round about. <BR> <BR>I may be wrong, but the only place I hav ever heard of Diana Gabaldan is on this Forum. Maybe not too big a deal here. Let me know more and I'll see what I can do. <BR> <BR>

Judy Sep 29th, 2000 03:58 AM

Sheila, Thanks for the info,,I will be e-mailing you for your tips on Scotland...and I think that Ryanair is the way to go....what do you mean you don't got Druids????? Where did the stone circles come from?????? I say "space invaders", what? Amazon.com has a brief synopsis of Diane Gabaldon Scot's fictional novels.....they are wonderful, FYI, Battle of Culloden,, Duke of Cumberland, etc....It started my fascination with Celtic culture...Thanks again, Judy

Sheila Sep 29th, 2000 07:30 AM

Picts!!

John Sep 29th, 2000 08:03 AM

(I hope this thread, like all the rest, ends back in a general Europe forum.) <BR> <BR>Judy, the Druids were the priestly class in some Celtic religious orders. The Celts (Kelts?) came to Scotland via Ireland, where they encountered the Picts, who were already there and busy building brochs and cairns and stone circles and all manner of monuments. <BR> <BR>For Jessica, I'd really second Sheila's point about Kilmartin - a beautiful and quite spooky place with more prehistoric stuff laying about than you can imagine. Stand in the churchyard near the carved crosses and look down on the valley floor and consider that people have been living there for millenia beyond count. Whoa.

Sheila Sep 29th, 2000 10:43 AM

Now I'm finally at home during waking hours, have a look at this.. <BR> <BR>http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~aburnham/scot/index.htm <BR> <BR>

judy Oct 1st, 2000 02:08 PM

Hi all, esp. Sheila, I looked uo your site and it was great,,,,It is now bookmarked....Sheila,,I got your e-mail and apparently it needs to be sent by attachment,,,,I have only been doing the net for 2 years,,,I guess I have a way to go,,,but I try,,,I go to the library tomorrow to start my quest....Thanks John for the information,,, And Jessica, let me know how you are doing....Thanks again, Judy

Joan Oct 1st, 2000 03:49 PM

Sheila, I'd be interested in the stuff you have put together on Edinburgh if you can email it to me. Thanks.

frank Oct 8th, 2000 12:09 PM

You can find an area with stone cicles & an iron age fort (Dunadd) on the West coast of Scotland about a mile North of Cairnbaan, on the road south of Oban - near the road.(there is a sign by the roadside)If you go to Skye, see the brochs at glenelg, on the mainland nearby.(south of kyle) <BR>Dunadd is less than 2 hours drive from Glasgow,through the Highlands, beautiful.Oban is pleasant. <BR>In Glasgow try the Scotia bar & the Clutha, both near the river at Stockwell street, trad folk music & real ale etc. <BR>More upmarket are the drum & monkey (has a good bistro in the back - ask at the bar for a table) in renfield st,the old rangoon in renfield st, the corinthian in ingram st.

marylouise Oct 8th, 2000 02:07 PM

Jessica <BR>Check out www.dingle-peninsula.ie <BR>My family of four spent a week last June renting a house on the Dingle peninsula in County Kerry,Ireland.We also made one night stops in Salthill(Co. Galway), Cahir(Co. Tipperary) and 2 nights in Dublin. Everything was fun but our week in Dingle was the best. It's beautiful there. There are lots of ancient ruins, rock formations and structures that we found fascinating. The scenery is breathtaking. Dingle town has great shops and pubs. The food everywhere was good. (Great seafood)There are many things to see....I don't know what type of trip you plan to take. We had schoolage children with us and so planned accordingly. If you were so inclined...I've seen bike trip and hiking trip packages that are very interesting. It's the perfect place to do something like that! <BR>Look into it and have a wonderful time in the "lands." I can't wait to make another trip there and would love to see Scotland,too. <BR>

bill Oct 9th, 2000 07:27 PM

See the Isle of Skye, west side of Scotland. Need reservation for ferry and hotel if you want to spend the night.

frank Oct 10th, 2000 01:07 AM

Bill is getting Skye confused with another island.Skye has a bridge & zillions of hotels.

Ian Oct 10th, 2000 09:13 AM

Jessica, <BR>I'm glad to hear you're going to two of the most beautiful countries in the world. A few practicalities: <BR>1) Stonehenge is in Wiltshire, England and is an overnight trip from the Glasgow/Edinburgh area. In my opinion, not worth it since there are better places to see in Scotland. <BR>2) Five days is not a lot. Glasgow and Edinburgh could easily take up all that depending on what you want to see. Edinburgh is a delightful city and the nightlife is reasonably good too. The castle is worth a look especially if you have never done the castle thing before. I must say though, that there are better castles in the Highlands if you're really into this type of site-seeing. <BR>I'm not familiar with Diana Gabaldon so perhaps you could let us know exactly what kind of things you want to see. There's already been a lot of good tips written here for you. Here's a couple suggestions: <BR>1) Loch Lomond is a day trip from Glasgow. The west side of the loch has an absolutely terrific youth hostel. A day here is better spent than in Glasgow. <BR>2) Skye is the closest Northern Hebridean island to the mainland, but don't try and rush it if you go. It's worth a couple days at least. <BR>3) Oban is not very far from Glasgow (2.5 hours by train) and is very enchanting. It's also very easy to get to the Southern Hebrides from here. Iona is a real gem. <BR>Let me know if you would like any more info. <BR>I.