first time in Rome--where to stay

May 13th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

first time in Rome--where to stay

Which area would be most convenient and/or attractive for the first time Rome visitor--Spanish Steps, Campo de'Fiori, Stazione Terminale(we are training to Florence after Rome). We want to see all the usual first time in Rome sights (sites)-Vatican, ancient sites, plus enjoy the ambiance of the present. Could we walk/use public transport from any of the three areas to visit what we wanted? Or is there another area that is a better place to stay?
May 13th, 2004, 03:54 AM

First of all, I hope you have a fabulous time in Rome!!!!

As to where to stay?
you will get many differnt answers.
I think that each of us has our own favorite places.
I / we have stayed in Piazza della Rotunda, and gazed out at the Pantheon,
We have stayed in the Campo de Fiori area, and have fallen asleep at 2 am to the sounds of revelry and been awakened early to the sounds of the market being step up.
and we have stayed in the Spanish Steps area.

Mine and the children's favorite is the Pantheon area.

You can walk just about anywhere, it may take 45 mins or so, and necessitate the need to stop for a cappacino/expresso/gelato break.

Sorry I can not give you THE place to stay.
May 13th, 2004, 04:49 AM

What is your budget?
May 13th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

budget--100-150 euro/night
May 13th, 2004, 06:40 AM

I would visit romeby.com and check out what they have to offer. You can either search by hotel class or area you're interested in.

We stayed on the Via Veneto for our honeymoon in January and we are staying the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area for our November trip. Pantheon is pretty central to most of the major sites and you can always take a cab or the subway to anything too far to walk to.
May 13th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Hello, see my other post with recommendation of Fellini Bed & Breakfast in Rome. It is under Priceline for Rome Hotels heading or click on my name. Excellent place!
Can be booked thru www.Venere.com
Click on Rome, then bed and breakfast heading.

Happy travels.
May 13th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Termini is convenient for the train but not the nicest of areas otherwise. If you look at a map of the city you should be able to idenify the sights and work out a good area from here. We stayed near Piazza Navona and found this to be very convenient for everything, we walked everywhere and didn't use public transport at all. Be warned that Rome is horrendously expensive for hotels; I've never been anywhere that was more expensive. Everything else (food, museums, etc) is fine price-wise.
May 13th, 2004, 07:49 AM

I personally think that anyplace that is near the metro is going to be great. I just stayed last week up at the Savoy Hotel off Via Veneto which was "okay" (but I had to walk more-bad knee and the hotel left alot to be desired. I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Aberdeen(both for price and close proximity to the Termini) better in January.We could get all the trains,metro and buses to everywhere in Rome and it was sooooooooo easy! I do not like the area by the Vatican as there is not much to do in comparison to the ancient site area.I think that the common problem when people go to Rome is to always take a taxi and by doing so you miss out on all the smells,people,unusual sights/things,etc. Rome is very walkable and very easy to deal with in terms of public transportation. My thought is-get the 3 day public transport card and use the "taxi money" for a great dinner with wonderful wine?
May 13th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Just to clarity. I did not book Felinni B&B thru Priceline. Just posted rec to that thread. It was a fabulous find for 100 euros a night. 2 blocks from Trevi, we walked to many of the tourist sites. Far nicer than what my friends got for many more $ at hotels and more convenient. I agree about expensive Rome hotels. I searched and searched before finding Fellini recommendation.
May 13th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone--this is helpful information--one question about the 3-day public transport card--do you buy it after you get to Rome?
May 13th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Hi martym,
First of all, my vote for a place to stay is in the Spanish Steps area. Near the Metro and easy to get around to other parts of Rome.

Next, yes, it's a breeze to get a card once you're there at the Metro (any station). They're sold in vending machines there.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
May 13th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Singletail

If, for whatever reason, you decide to use the Metro in Rome (and perhaps don't get any sort of discount travel card) I would strongly advise you to buy any and all transport tickets at the tobacco shops or newstands that sell them as opposed to using the ticket dispensing machines in the Metro stations. Nobody, but nobody is a bigger advocate of public transport in erupe than I am but the machines in Rome were maddening.

On a note more closely related to your question...people all seem to have their favorite area to stay in Rome and I am sure they are all for good reasons. I personally enjoy being on or near the Via Veneto and I have no trouble walking to the various places want to see from that area. I am also willing to use the Metro, busses, and pay for a taxi when necessary.

Since this is your first trip I agree with the above recommendation that you consult a map and perhaps find a hotel that is somewhat central to all those things you are interested in. You may, or may not end up walking to some, if not all, of them.

Unfortunately, things start to get a little dicey on this board when some posters start in with their rants about where you HAVE to stay in Rome. Someone recently told me that they don't like the Via Veneto area because, to them, "it doesn't seem like the 'real' Rome" I'm not sure if this person wanted to be near Christians being thrown to the lions or Gidget and Moondoggie making out at the Trevi to make it seem "real" to them. You can stay anywhere you want and how you choose to get around is entirely up to you. Enjoy your trip.

May 13th, 2004, 09:08 AM
jay

try the hotel des artistes. great hotel and is right around the corner from the bus lines etc. great rooftop garden for wine drinking. www.hoteldesartistes.com
May 13th, 2004, 09:32 AM
MAP

Heartily recommend Cheap Sleeps in Italy rec. of Hotel Primavera. Cordial staff, large, very clean rooms, good beds, no frills, but marble floors, very nice bathrooms, cozy breakfast room with good coffee, roll, etc. Best of locations near P. Navona and Campo di fiori. Sandra Gustafson wrote the book. We paid $135 for a triple. Great value.
May 13th, 2004, 09:56 AM

Singletail,
You're correct if you imply that most "slow type" travellers prefer the pantheon/navonna/campo areas to Via Veneto. But slow travellers suggest that only to travellers who they think might feel likewise. If someone prefers the Spanish steps or Via Veneto because of the more modern buildings/plumbing, proximity to designer clothing stores or something, then they would do a greater service if they would also list out the exact reasons.
May 13th, 2004, 10:20 AM

I love to use www.travel.it for hotels. It goes by stars and directs you straight to the hotel's own website. No middle man.
May 14th, 2004, 07:01 AM

We just returned from Italy on Tuesday. We stayed at Hotel Smearaldo while we were in Rome. The location was perfect. We walked to everything. The furthest we walked was out to Hard Rock Cafe, about 2 miles. The hotel is located just blocks away from Campo di Fiori, a short walk from Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. The Vatican was about 1 mile as was the Coloseum and Forum. Great location in my mind. We spent E120 with Rick Steves book. We requested a balcony room and they accomodated us. It wasn't very noisy in the evening (after 11pm) and there was a great bakery just across the street to have breakfast at.

Good Luck with your decision!
May 14th, 2004, 07:46 AM

My 2 adult children and I recently returned from our first rip to Rome and we stayed in Trastevere. We loved it! We walked everywhere, and enjoyed the "local flavor" of Trastevere. We also thought it was great having a small apartment - it was nice to be able to have coffee in the morning while getting ready for the day. When we left Rome, we took a bus to the train station - it only took about 15 minutes and cost about 1 Euro.