Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time in Oslo Norway - recommendations for a weekend stay...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 1999, 09:43 PM
Jill

Will be in Oslo during the last weekend in May. We have never been to Norway before, can you recommendation things to do, see and places to eat during the weekend stay. Thanks in advance....

Old May 7th, 1999, 05:19 AM
Kimberley

<BR>I was in Oslo in July 1997 and had a great stay at Hotel Continental. If you're interested and can't find the hotel, e-mail me and I will let you know the phone number. It was about $115 for a double with bath and king size bed (what they call king size, anyway, it was more like a full). There are probably many cheaper hotels than this, I actually saw many as I wandered the streets of the city. But this one was beautiful, extremely clean with nice furnishings and a very impressive breakfast buffet included. It was also right in the heart if town, within walking distance of many sights including the royal palace and several musueums. My favorite thing to do in Oslo was just walking around town, seeing the shops, street performers, all the beautiful boats docked, etc. I spent several weeks in Norway while I was there, so if you need info on other cities let me know!

Old May 7th, 1999, 04:56 PM
Michael Rosen

Best restaurant we ate in in all of Europe is in Olso- D'Artangnas

Old May 8th, 1999, 11:09 AM
s.fowler

I'd take a 1/2 day city tour because a number of the things on the "must-see" list are far flung. Your hotel should have information. Don't miss the Viking ships in Bygde [?], the Vigeland sculpture park. The harbor area is nice too with an ancient fort, Akershus and a good iew of the City Hall. [which is also interesting] The National Museum of Art [not the name, but the description] has a number of Edvard Munchs. Hope this helps! <BR>

Old May 8th, 1999, 07:48 PM
Al

By all means, see Frogner Park with its fantastic collection of statues created as the life work of a single scuptor, Peter Viggeland. The Museum of the Resistance in an old fort in the harbor area tells the story of Norway's resistance to the Nazi occupation. Lots of tall ships in the harbor. Wonderful outdoor museum of Norwegian homes, farms, etc. brought from all over Norway, some hundreds of years old. See the Viking ship nearby -- great piece of craftsmanship. See Nansen's Arctic exploration ship, the Fram. Also nearby. You will do yourself a favor by eating in cafeterias because Oslo is a very expensive place. One beer: $5 US.

Old May 8th, 1999, 07:48 PM
Al

By all means, see Frogner Park with its fantastic collection of statues created as the life work of a single scuptor, Peter Viggeland. The Museum of the Resistance in an old fort in the harbor area tells the story of Norway's resistance to the Nazi occupation. Lots of tall ships in the harbor. Wonderful outdoor museum of Norwegian homes, farms, etc. brought from all over Norway, some hundreds of years old. See the Viking ship nearby -- great piece of craftsmanship. See Nansen's Arctic exploration ship, the Fram. Also nearby. You will do yourself a favor by eating in cafeterias because Oslo is a very expensive place. One beer: $5 US.

Old May 13th, 1999, 07:21 AM
Nils

I am a Norwegian. In Oslo you should not miss the Edvard Munch museum, the National Gallery and the Holmenkollen ski center. Edvard Munch is the most famous painter in Norway. Next time you go to Norway, maybe you also could visit Bergen, my home city? Bergen is the "capital of the fjords". Welcome to Norway! Nils <BR>