Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time in Milan, Turin or the Lakes before Italian ski trip in March

Jan 12th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

We are planning to go to the Club Med in Breuil-Cervinia in mid-March. As we are flying on points the latest we can arrive in Europe is 4 days prior to being in Cervinia. We will also be visiting family in England after the ski trip.

We also have the options to land in Geneva, Zurich, Milan or Turin -- although Turin would be more difficult as it means changing airports in London ( through which we are connecting). so we have 4 full days plus one day to travel to Cervinia before the ski portion.

We have been to a many parts of Italy but never to Milan, Turin or the Italian Lakes. If we land in Milan(Linate), I wonder if someone has some suggestions as to an itinerary. Is it worth renting a car and visiting the Lakes, Turin and area before heading to Cervinia? ( I know that a lot of the hotels are closed in Como etc and I have a web site to check for the lakes area in winter) . Or is it better to spend a couple of days in Milan and take a side trip? I certainly would not rent a car in Milan but could rent one from the airport to go to other areas.

Thank you
Jan 13th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Hi Swannee - You have options, I think - whichever airport you choose.

If you choose Linate you could base on Lake Como - then do daytrips e.g. Bernina express, Lake Como, Lugano, Milan ...
I stayed on Lake Como in February once and did those excursions. Very enjoyable ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Jan 13th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We did book to Linate and now must find a hotel or B&B or inn and we tend to prefer those. Every B&B or inn that I have checked so far in the Lakes area including Como and that I have liked -- is closed until later in Mar. If you have any recommendations -- always welcome. So I may have to go with Milan and Turin.

Did you have a car? We usually don't bother with cars in the cites only for longer road trips outside the city.

cheers
Jan 13th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Try the Tres Rose in Nesso between Como and Bellagio. Nice cheap clean hotel with good restaurant and stunning views. http://www.trerosehotel.com/hoteltre...lese/home.html
Jan 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks will check it out,

But again I am wondering if by going to Como and Lakes, you need a car and it is taking us it the other direction.

cheers
Jan 13th, 2011, 02:20 PM

I think one good snowstorm could wipe out your plans to enjoy the lakes, and driving could be miserable.

You have a lot more options than just Milan or Turin. I happen to adore both towns for their eating, drinking and unusual cultural attractions (Turin is the home of unique museums, the fabulous movie museum being my favorite) BUT:

You can easily get to Verona, Mantova, Bologna or Parma. Been there? They are all wonderful places.

It is a short bus ride from Linate to Milan's central station, and Italy's improved fast trains put at lot of Italy within a comfortable train ride.
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:23 AM

I didn't have a car. You don't need one to see Lake Como IMO. It's easier and more fun using the ferries to visit the lakeside towns - that's what I did.

Lugano too was easy by public transport (- bus from Menaggio).
Another trip was Bergamo (- by train from Varenna).
But you can do similar day-trips basing in Milan ...

We were lucky with the weather - we had a week of crisp days and blue skies.

Steve
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:05 AM

I quite enjoy Milan and would base there. You would have many more options than just visiting the Lakes which could come in handy based on the weather during your visit.

Milan has plenty to keep one occupied and is a great place to spend a few days in the company of more residents than tourists. We have day tripped to Como and it is very easy as Steve says. Milan also has one of the better public transport systems in Italy IMO.

Turin is high on my list to visit but I have not yet been so cannot personally recommend. I have stayed in Milan five times over the past dozen trips to Italy and enjoyed each of my visits.
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for these tips.

I think we may well base ourselves in Milan and visit the city and our friends there one or two days and perhaps do a day trip to the Lakes or another area and then perhaps head to Turin and take the train/bus from there to Cervinia.

We like to explore an area at the same time don't want to be running all over the place. We also like to drive around the countryside but it looks like a car is not really necessary unless we end up going to wine country in Piedmonte.

Thanks again
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:51 AM

There is also a bus service between Milan and Cervinia.

For details -
http://www.savda.it/orari_tariffe.htm

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve, I am aware of it. What is strange is that it does not show availability in March. I gather that perhaps it only shows 2 months going forward.

cheers
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:39 AM

Where are you looking, Swannee? It says it's valid until 11 June.

Steve
Jan 16th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Steve, I went on SAVDA.IT, then clicked on the English flag,then filled in the blanks -- anyway as they say, Murphy's Law. I just did the same thing I did last week and it does work -- but it did not before.

So all's well.

Thanks for your thought.

cheers