Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time in London. Which neighborhood or area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't seem to land on a location in London to stay in for 6 nights in September. My husband and I are in our 60s and our daughter who is just 30 will be traveling with us. We will be coming into London after 10 days in Scotland and 2 in York. I would like to be in a location that would suit both of us. Thought briefly about Camden, for my daughter, but no. I would like to rent a flat for the 6 nights, so we will have our own spaces. Any ideas?
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 04:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Absolutely any central neighborhood would suit all of you. Every corner of be city pretty much has pubs, restaurants, shopping, interesting g streets, etc and from any location yo can get to any other location but tube or bus (or walking).

Start looking for properties on the southbank/southwark, in Covent garden, south Kensington, Bloomsbury/Russell square/Goodge Street, maybe notting hill. Then if you don't find anything in one of those areas, then come back here for more suggestions.
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janis! I almost booked a flat in Bayswater, but I’m a little reluctant because it’s a new listing and has no reviews. It looks very nice and I think it would suit us if it’s as good as it looks. I will be booking 6 nights instead of 7 because my daughter has a 6:25am flight out of Gatwick so we will be spending our last day in London transporting to a hotel near the airport ��
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 07:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What is the actual post code of the Bayswater flat? Some owners exaggerate a bit when describing their location.

I've stayed in the general Bayswater area (more Lancaster gate really) several times over the years but it is not my favorite. I'd prefer being south of the parks (Sputh Kensington etc) for convenience and transport.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 06:10 AM

https://tfl.gov.uk/
This government site will help you plan access to everywhere. It has an interactive planner which will plot your route by public transport. It will help you judge how convenient a particular neighbourhood will be for roaming the city. My recent favorite is Kensington/Earl's Court on the west side. Google Maps has similar functions and will show attractions near a particular address. Pick Earl's Court, for example, and it will show how to walk to such places as Kensington High Street, the Royal Albert Hall, the science and nature museums -- and pubs.