Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First time in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-time-in-london-97470/)

Susie Dec 26th, 2000 11:15 AM

First time in London

I am going to London for my first time in March with another 30 something friend. No husbands, no kids. Can you recommend a luxury hotel where two hard working mammas can get some pampering, but still have some spending money left over for high tea? Also, a real silly question, but what kind of clothes do you wear in London in March?

Tammy Dec 26th, 2000 11:22 AM

First, what is your budget? Lodging in London can vary greatly. <BR> <BR>I recommend bringing warm clothes that you can layer. London weather as a whole can be unpredictable, but in March you just might experience every season in one day time span. Definitely bring an umbrella.

Susie Dec 26th, 2000 11:30 AM

I guess we will spend up to $400, but $300-350 would be better!

elaine Dec 26th, 2000 01:44 PM

Hi Susie <BR>I have a file on London; if you'd like to see it, email me. <BR>I went in March two years ago, layering is what you need. We found weather mostly in the upper 50sF, so a lined raincoat with a sweater underneath was more than adequate. Daffodils were blooming. <BR>We had some drizzle, but not all the time. <BR>My family and I stayed at the Grosvenor House, very nice, good service, location between the Hyde Park Corner and Marble Arch tube stops, just down the street from the Dorchester and 15 minute walk from the Ritz or Fortnum and Mason if you are thinking about afternoon tea.

home Dec 30th, 2000 02:38 PM

my husband and I stayed at the Sloane Hotel in Chelsea when we where there in October and LOVED it. Cost will be about $350.00 a night for any of the six rooms. Quiet area but only a 15 minute walk (or cab ride) to anywhere. It's listed here under hotels in London (where I found it) and I could not have been happier. Quite luxurious! Can't wait to go back next October!

Melissa Dec 30th, 2000 08:33 PM

I once stayed in the Royal Thistle near the Marble Arch--I believe it was about $250-300/night and the service was quite nice. The reason we chose THAT hotel was, it was close to the tube and to shopping on Bond & Oxford streets. <BR> <BR>In March, just bring a lot of layers and an umbrella, definitely. However, if you are going to high tea, make sure you are not wearing jeans or they will not let you in.

pc Jan 8th, 2001 06:47 PM

You may want to know that the Thistle Marble ARch has some specials. They are running about 107 pounds for a superior room and 110 pounds for an executive room. It includes taxes, but not breakfast. It is on their web site and by calling their 800 number. I just booked for May. Have a good time.

kate Jan 12th, 2001 07:59 AM

You can stay in one of the standard well-known luxury hotels which will all be great (Dorchester, Grosvenor House, Savoy) BUT If you want a luxury hotel with a difference, try one of the newer hipper hotels that are springing up. I would suggest the Metropolitan (very very hip, attracts a lot of stars to the Met bar downstairs), The Covent Garden Hotel (fantastic location), The Charlotte Street Hotel or St Martin's Lane (very hip, Philippe Starck designed, also great location in between Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square). I'd choose one of these over one of the stuffier older hotels any day. They generally have better bars, funkier restaurants and attract a fascinating crowd. It's worth it just to people watch. <BR> <BR>As for the weather in March, expect anything. I won't be hot but might be mild, or could be very wet and windy. Have you ever heard the english phrase "March winds, April showers, brings forth May flowers". <BR> <BR>Bring layers and never be without an umbrella.