Reload this Page >

First Time in Italy, Venice or Pompei or both

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 1998, 04:33 PM
Adam Keidl

My wife and I will be traveling to Italy in October. We have two nights in Florence and five nights in Rome. We will stay another four nights and would like recommendations if we should go directly from Rome to Venice or take a day to see Pompei and then travel to Venice. We are open to suggestions if someone has other suggested itineraries, hotel and restaurant suggestions for the final leg of our journey. Since the first days of this vacation will be jam packed we would like to "wind down" on the last days. Has any heard of the Savoia and Jolanda hotel in Venice?

Old Apr 19th, 1998, 09:34 PM
Marcy

The idea of Pompeii is more exciting than the actuality. We were glad to be there for a few hours but found that we tired fast of seeing the ruins and didn't need more- the Pompeii area is not a place to stay for any time period....if you have a few hours to do it in passing that is fine but Venice is romantic, exciting, charming and wonderful. Have you considered spending any time in Tuscany and Umbria exploring medieval walled cities that are living museums? I would sooner spend only 3-4 days in Rome, skip Pompeii, do 3 days in Venice and find a couple of days to rent a car or take a bus or train into Tuscany or Umbria.....away from the cities. Feel free to email me for more info.

Old Apr 19th, 1998, 09:35 PM
Marcy

The idea of Pompeii is more exciting than the actuality. We were glad to be there for a few hours but found that we tired fast of seeing the ruins and didn't need more- the Pompeii area is not a place to stay for any time period....if you have a few hours to do it in passing that is fine but Venice is romantic, exciting, charming and wonderful. Have you considered spending any time in Tuscany and Umbria exploring medieval walled cities that are living museums? I would sooner spend only 3-4 days in Rome, skip Pompeii, do 3 days in Venice and find a couple of days to rent a car or take a bus or train into Tuscany or Umbria.....away from the cities. Feel free to email me for more info.

Old Apr 20th, 1998, 01:22 PM
Royce

I agree. Venice is so special (we have been there 3 times and we seldom go to the same place twice)that I would spend more time there, including a day on Burano. We were really impressed with it. Also the hill towns as mentioned would be great. We saw Pompei as part of a Sorrento and Capri grouping. Interesting, but only for 2 or 3 hours. Royce

Old Apr 20th, 1998, 09:26 PM
Barbara

I have to agree with the others -- Venice is a jewel, and October is a lovely time to be there. The hotel you mentioned is covered in Frommer's Italy and characterized as "spiritless modern" in decor. It wouldn't be my choice. You might try for Pensione Accademia, a favorite in Dorsoduro, one of the most picturesque sections of Venice and a 10-minute stroll to Piazza San Marco. Lots of the best restaurants nearby. Check Karen Brown's two guides to Italy for reliable places with charm. If you contact the Accademia, be sure to ask for a large room. You will have choice of garden or canal view. Garden is quieter, but people watching more fun looking out over this interesting side canal.

Old Apr 20th, 1998, 11:12 PM
Debra

Yes I agree too. Pompei is marvelous to see but it takes a while to get there , to Naples first. So perhaps for the travel involved it is not worth it unless you have a special interst. Also much of it is closed due to the earthquakes a few years ago . If anything Herculanium is a better idea. But for the time I would stay longer in Florence, maybe go to Sangignamo and Sienna. And Venice is marvelous. Stay here forever and walk every canal. Have a great trip whatever.

Old Apr 21st, 1998, 04:58 AM
Elizabeth

I agree with the others--Venice is a must. I lived in Italy (Rome) for 6 years. Since having moved, I have gone back twice already ! It's such a beautiful country. I'm not sure what your itinerary is or what your mode of transportation would be. If you really wanted to fit Pompeii in, it could be done as a day trip from Rome. You would really need only 3-5 hours, depending on how much you'd want to explore. On my last trip 2 years ago, I flew into Rome, spent a few days in Rome, then went to the Amalfi Coast and saw Pompeii on my way back to Rome. I then took the train from Rome to Florence, spent 3 days in Florence and then got back on the train and headed to Venice. If you have 4 extra days, and really wanted to see Pompeii, I'd suggest adding one extra day to Rome and seeing Pompeii as an excursion on that day. Then, I'd suggest spending the remaining 3 days in Venice. There is entirely too much to see and do in Rome, Florence and Venice ! They're absolutely beautiful cities. Everytime I go, I discover something new and amazing ! The trains (first class compartments) are a great way of getting around Italy. Please feel free to email if you've got any questions. Enjoy your trip !

Old Apr 21st, 1998, 11:49 PM
penny

I really loved Pompeii and didn't think of travelling that far as a burden, because it was so different to Rome. However, if you want another alternative, why not go to Ostia Antica, which is an excavated Roman town similar to Pompeii, but only half an hour from Rome? You can get there by bus or train, it's never crowded, and is actually bigger than Pompeii.