Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First Time in Italy Assistance Needed - How Long to stay in locations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-time-in-italy-assistance-needed-how-long-to-stay-in-locations-437760/)

ninianne Jun 1st, 2004 11:23 AM

First Time in Italy Assistance Needed - How Long to stay in locations

Hello everyone!

I booked my trip for 3 weeks in December (Yes, I know it will be really really cold). I am having a bit of a problem of figuring out how long to stay in each place.

We are planning to have a car when we leave Florence and return it back to Florence to take the train to Venice.

Please let me know your thoughts on the following....

4 Nights in Florence (looking at Residenza Il Carmine or Hotel Globus)
7 Nights in the Siena area (I need to be in Siena on 12/20 & 12/21 for my civil ceremony)Any good suggestions on a agriturismo that also serves dinner?
3 Nights in Assisi (I would like to spend Christmas there and would like to stay in town to see Assisi at night. Is this too long?)
4 Nights somewhere in Tuscany or Umbria
4 Nights in Venice

Thank you very much for any advice.

nytraveler Jun 1st, 2004 03:08 PM

Is there some reason for not including Rome? IMHO way more to do there than any of the other places - especially the countryside - which I can;t imagine in Dcember.

dmelo1 Jun 1st, 2004 03:22 PM

I agree with the last response, you should definitely spend some time in Rome. While you are in Siena area, i recommend you stay a few nights in San Gimignano. It's a great medival town

Jocelyn_P Jun 1st, 2004 06:24 PM

I'll bet Christmas in Rome is really special.

jcohe2t Jun 1st, 2004 06:34 PM

I think the number of nights you've allocated for Venice and Florence are appropriate. When in Florence take the bus (or drive) up to Fiesole for an afternoon...great views, and an impressive archaeological site with an amphitheatre, some baths, and good restaurants too. In Venice expect a bitter wind coming in off the water, bring your Gore-Tex! But my wintertime experience in Venice was thankfully free of precipitation.
Not familiar with the hotels you mention for Florence...but if I had to do it again I'd consider staying in the Oltrarno area across the river... a little less congested and lots of character.

Enjoy!

ninianne Jun 1st, 2004 09:13 PM

Thanks for your opinions.

Not doing Rome on this trip. Honestly, we aim for no tourists, crowds, etc. Rome during Christmas is not the R&R we are looking for. When we come backon our next trip, we will be doing Rome, Amalfi Coast, and Silicy. The countryside and a mix of towns like Florence, Siena, Venice, and smaller hill towns are more ideal for us.

Thanks jcohe2t for your suggested day trip from Florence. Also, Residenza Il Carmine is located Oltrarno.

I like to stay in places to get a good feel for the people & surroundings and not do the marathon tourist travel. Also, I tend to be drawn to more obscure little towns.

Thanks again!