Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First time in Italy, any suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-time-in-italy-any-suggestions-710905/)

hiawatha Jun 5th, 2007 05:51 PM

First time in Italy, any suggestions?

I'm a high school student traveling to Italy for two weeks toward the end of June. If any experienced travellers have suggestions for me on any of the following things, I would really appreciate the advice!

1) What small things should I think about bringing to Italy that would make life easier? (ie. hand sanitizer, etc.)

2) What kind of clothing should I buy that will help me fit in with the locals?

3) What kind of shoes should I bring? We'll be doing a lot of walking, but I still want to be "stylish".

4) What kind of purse should I look for and what is the best thing to carry money in?

5) Any other helpful hints and tips would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

richardsonsnm Jun 5th, 2007 06:00 PM

You are a married woman on your other threads?

hiawatha Jun 7th, 2007 10:23 AM

Oops! Sorry. I am the REAL hiawatha...the Italy question is from my 17 year old daughter. I told her to check w/ Fodors for her trip questions and she used my screen name.

missypie Jun 7th, 2007 10:25 AM

Bring Febreeze. It really does help to freshen clothes.

missypie Jun 7th, 2007 10:27 AM

One more thing: Pack lots of zip lock bags in all sizes, from snack sized to large ones. You can pack them inside of each other and squeeze the air out, so they take up almost no room. But you can use them for damp clothes, muddy shoes, snacks or leftovers, hairspray or shampoo that might leak, etc. etc. etc.

bellini Jun 7th, 2007 10:35 AM

You don't say whether you'll be travelling around, where you'll be staying (with a family/in hotels/a hostel?) You can buy any toiletries you need once you're there. Save the space for several pairs of comfortable shoes- trainers with jeans, sandals with skirts, flat shoes- there are quite a few cobbled streets in old city centres. Treat youself to a wonderful pair of Italian leather shoes- look in the markets for bargains.
A shoulder bag that crosses the body is less easy to snatch. The locals will not be wearing shorts or beach clothes in the centres. if you wear jeans and T shirts you'll look like every other tourist, if that's what you want.

missypie Jun 7th, 2007 10:52 AM

With all due respect to Bellini, I would not leave all my toiletries behind, esp. if you are on a school trip or other structured tour. Lots of those trips leave no free time to dash out to a store...they may be on a bus at 7 am every day. Their "free time" day may be the 4th day of their trip. Also, if one arrives, say late Saturday afternoon, it may be Monday morning before any stores in the area are open.

I will say, however, to leave the flat iron at home; it will fry your hair in Italy. If you think you will have some shopping time near "normal" stores (as opposed to souvineer shops), plan to buy a blow dryer and flat iron in Italy.