First time in Ireland

May 17th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

First time in Ireland

I've posted a similiar question and didn't get any responses so I'll try again with a little more detail.
We land in Dublin on a Monday morning in August and fly out of Shannon on Thursday night of the same week. Travelling with me are four friends, all of us ages 27 to 29. Our goal is to experience as much Irish scenery, culture and history as possible. We would like to finish each of our precious days having a hearty Irish meal and head to a local pub to share a Guinness (or 10), with some locals who have a ton of history to share, or a pack of 20/30 somethings ready to party the night away. Either one will fully satisfy us on our short trip. We will have a rental car and are slightly more interested in travelling to the south of the island via Kilkenny and Cork.
Please give us your input on which towns you think might suit our desires, potential accommodations, places to eat and places to share a pint or party till the wee hours.
Thanks in advance.
May 17th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Might I suggest looking at some guided tour company itineraries?

Here is a 5 night itinerary:

http://www.cietours.com/2005vacation...hFling2005.htm

or

http://www.cietours.com/2005vacation...reland2005.htm

It all depends on the group's likes and dislikes. One thing for certain, you will definitely discover you want to go back!

My favorite sites of the south are the Ring of Kerry, Blarney Castle, Rock of Cashel, and Muckross House.

As I'm sure others will suggest, purchase a travel guide asap and then if there are more specific questions about bars and such many will help. Choose with your desired route first and go from there.
May 17th, 2005, 08:17 PM

head south to dingle and explore the west coast from there,pubs everywhere and plenty of people to share a pint or two
good towns are cork ,dingle,killkenny ,limerick and lots of small villages as well
May 17th, 2005, 08:23 PM

As someone 20 years out of your age bracket (on the bad side!), I can only recommend two places in Ireland where we noticed a lot of 20/30 somethings having a good time.

The first would be Kinsale. There was a lot of partying going on there (this was the last week in August), spilling out into the streets and everyone - young and old - were enjoying themselves. We went to the Mad Monk and had fun, but left when it was obvious that we were getting to be the oldest people there. The Spaniard also seemed very lively.

The other place I saw young people having fun, milling about in the streets, etc. was in Malahide, just north of Dublin. We stayed there overnight because it was close to the Dublin airport, but really enjoyed the pubs and restaurants and shops in the centre of town. I can't recommend a pub because all the ones that looked the most fun were so crowded we couldn't get in (it was a Friday night). We ended up at Smyth's of Malahide which was lively and huge, but seemed full of families.

I'm sure with the four of you and the Irish people you'll meet along the way, you'll have no trouble finding fun.

Search this Thread