Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First time in Europe, where should I end my trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-time-in-europe-where-should-i-end-my-trip-981085/)

Jrem714 Jun 9th, 2013 03:52 PM

First time in Europe, where should I end my trip?

I will be going on my first trip to Europe in January 2014. I will be arriving in Dublin where I plan to stay for 3 nights and then Paris and London for 7 nights, not sure how I will break that up. I plan on going to one more destination for 4 more nights, either in Berlin, Zurich, Prague or somewhere in Spain.

I am mostly just looking to check out the culture not really tourist attractions, Berlin and Prague seem to interest me but I wonder if the travel time would be worth it. I am also considering swapping Paris for Amsterdam. Anyone who has been to any or all of these destinations who would like to weigh in would be greatly appreciated.

iowamom Jun 9th, 2013 04:26 PM

With 14 nights, I would suggest you stick with those three destinations (Dublin, London and Paris). Travel time eats up a 1/2 day at least. More time in each location would give you more time to experience the culture.

iowamom Jun 9th, 2013 04:38 PM

Also look to fly into Dublin and out of wherever you end. It shouldn't be more expensive to do that - and avoids having to backtrack to your starting point.

nytraveler Jun 9th, 2013 05:28 PM

At that time of year I agree to stick to fewer places. Besides the deep winter weather it gets dark very early and many sights are on limited hours versus extended summer hours.

Sticking to 3 places will give you more of a test for each - and IMHO London and Paris each deserve 5 full days (6 nights) for a first visit.

Fra_Diavolo Jun 9th, 2013 05:30 PM

The usual advice is, "See Naples and die."

janisj Jun 9th, 2013 05:55 PM

The days will be short and the weather likely not that great. Limit yourself to the three destinations. 3 days in Dublin, 6 in London and 5 in Paris (or 2 in Dublin and 6 in both London/Paris.

London is huge and I'd really try to have at least 6 nights there. Paris is also 'worth' at least 5 or 6 nights. Dublin is certainly OK - but not <i>nearly</i> as much to see as London or Paris.

Scootoir Jun 9th, 2013 06:37 PM

You have received very good advice to limit to 3 cities, arriving in Dublin and making your return flight from Paris.

Never switch Paris for Amsterdam!

BigAleinstein Jun 9th, 2013 06:58 PM

Agree with all of the above. You are confined by a trip January trip, so just stick with Dublin, London and Paris. London and Paris are worth more than a week each. Unless you have a car three days in Dublin should suffice.

centraleurope Jun 9th, 2013 07:48 PM

I agree not to switch Paris for Amsterdam... But I would consider it for my 4th destination.

daniella82 Jun 9th, 2013 08:41 PM

I agree with everyone above, but if you want to add a 4th destination it's manageable. It's nice to have time in each place, but you mentioned that you aren't particularly interested in tourist attractions. You can also spend a couple days in Dublin, 5 in Paris, 3 or 4 in London, and 3 or 4 in another place that's an easy trip (Amsterdam is approx 3 hours by train from Paris for example). However, the weather in January is not ideal, so you might want to save some of these places for another time and really get to know a couple of places well on this trip.

Heimdall Jun 10th, 2013 03:27 AM

Why not Amsterdam, London and Paris? ((?))

centraleurope Jun 10th, 2013 03:29 AM

I love Amsterdam in the winter... what better way to spend a day than curled up in a brown cafe with a drink.

Ackislander Jun 10th, 2013 05:06 AM

You can book (almost)the whole trip on Aer Lingus. We just did.

Boston or JFK or wherever to Dublin
Dublin to Gatwick (easy train to central London)
Eurostar London to Paris
Paris to US, connecting in Dublin

Food is bad on Aer Lingus, no free drinks, but prices are generally better than busier routes. Very fast flight going eastbound, maybe 5 hours ten minutes?