Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First time in Euope. How do we move around? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-time-in-euope-how-do-we-move-around-441982/)

Vasuh Sep 29th, 2008 08:48 PM

First time in Euope. How do we move around?

Our accomodation in Paris, Venice and Amsterdam appears to be falling in place. What do we do about moving within and from the cities? Would avoid flights unless are cheaper than other modes.

We are a mature couple planning to stay 2 days in Paris, then 3 days in Venice followed by 8 days in Amsterdam. Our itinerary... Paris-Venice-Amsterdam- Paris from Nov 12th to Nov 26th.

Our budget will be on the border-line of low and moderate.

Appreciate your thoughts on the issue.

greg Sep 29th, 2008 09:18 PM

Did you include "mature" in your description as a euphemism for having a mobility limitation?

Next, your routing. Have you booked your flights already? Paris to Venice is quite a trip and so is Venice to Amsterdam. You couldn't do Venice-Paris-Amsterdam, or Amsterdam-Paris-Venice instead? Crossing the North-South section of Western Europe not once but twice does not seem to match your desire to control your budget. Easyjet, for example flies Venice-Paris cheaply, provided you don't get snagged too badly by the fine prints.

In any city, moving within cities cheaply means walking or taking public transportations. Were you expecting any other answers here?

nukesafe Sep 29th, 2008 09:35 PM

Suggest you get an "Open Jaw" flight. Fly into Amsterdam, for example, then fly back home from Venice. Open jaw tickets can be almost the same price as returning from the same airport. Also, it would save you all the expense and time of backtracking.

Trains between Paris and Amsterdam are quick, convenient, and economical. Cheapo flights from Paris to Venice save you money, too. For example, I found a one way flight on MyAir htp://www.myair.com on November 14th from Orly to Venice for 9.99 Euros. We did it the other way a year or so ago. The taxes and fees bring the actual ticket up to something like $50, but gets you there quickly.

Have a great trip.

:-)

mjs Sep 29th, 2008 11:02 PM

Is there a particular reason for so much time in Amsterdam? Agree with the open jaw routing.
Would only consider adding Venice to this trip if I were flying due to the distances involved. Taking the train would be the easiest way of traveling in between Paris and Amsterdam.

Gretchen Sep 30th, 2008 03:01 AM

REally short times for Paris and Venice with probably a goodly outlay of money not to mention time, for rail travel between. By the time you travel, settle into your hotel, it honestly hardly seems worth it.
You might consider Paris and Amsterdam by themselves. It will make a much more relaxed and enjoyable trip. Easy to get between Amsterdam and Paris and not much time involved.

Nikki Sep 30th, 2008 03:34 AM

For budget flights between European cities, check www.whichbudget.com. This will show which budget airlines fly between the cities you want and will connect you to their websites. Flying can be much less expensive than taking the train.

RufusTFirefly Sep 30th, 2008 04:50 AM

Of the 3 cities, Amsterdam is the one I'd spend the least amount of time in. Even if you've been to Paris and Venice before, 8 days still seems a bit much for Amsterdam.

letsgo39 Sep 30th, 2008 05:22 AM

I agree that 8 days in Amsterdam is to long.It is definitely not my favorite city.Paris and Venice are my 2 favorite Europeon cities and I would spend the 3 days in Amsterdam,5 days in Paris and 5 days in Venice. Definitely fly open jaw home from Venice.Take the train from Amsterdam to Paris and fly from Paris to Venice.(Easyjet).

cheryllj Sep 30th, 2008 06:05 AM

I love Amsterdam but it is waaay smaller than Paris. Paris demands twice as much time as Amsterdam, if not more.

If you have 13 days total, I'd spend 6 in Paris, 4 in Venice, 3 in Amsterdam.

ira Sep 30th, 2008 06:10 AM

Hi V,

> 2 days in Paris, then 3 days in Venice followed by 8 days in Amsterdam.<

Well, if that's your plan, that's your plan.

Check www.myair.com for flights from Paris ORY to Venice VCE.

((I))

adrienne Sep 30th, 2008 06:53 AM

Is there enough in Amsterdam to keep you busy for 8 days? If Paris is your first stop after an overnight flight then you really only have 1 day in a city that could keep me busy for months.

stanleys Sep 30th, 2008 09:11 AM

Your schedule makes me assume that you are Dutch.

If not... allocation of days in each place is odd.

Guenmai Sep 30th, 2008 09:20 AM

Why all that time in Amsterdam? I can't imagine staying there that many days. I'd put a lot more days in Paris and Venice and fewer in Amsterdam.

If you absolutely have to go to Amsterdam, then do Amsterdam and Paris and drop Venice for another time. Happy Travels!

StCirq Sep 30th, 2008 09:33 AM

That's a really strange itinerary. So is the fact that you've got your accommodations but haven't figured out how to get from one place to the other. But I suppose you have your reasons.

Agree with others that an open-jaw ticket is best for this trip, and, even though you may not prefer it, cheapo flights between countries, so as to save you time.

PalenQ Sep 30th, 2008 09:39 AM

If considering the train and you want to see the Europe in between point A and point B - or even take an overnight train from say Paris to Venice (saving a hotel expense) then consider the Eurail Select Pass and compare to regular tickets. For novices on trains and passes i always refer folks to two fine sources: www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - sites that have tons of great objective info on rail travel and passes and other topics as well besides just the usual pass prices and an add to cart option. I would recommend going thru Switzerland from Amsterdam to Italy and hopefully spend a day or so in the Interlaken area - the awesome Berner Oberland - a Valhalla of glacier-clad peaks, funiculars, cog mountain climbing trains, thrilling aerial cableways, etc. - Smack about half way between Amsterdam and Venice. the 8 days in Amsterdam IMO would be better 5 and spending three days or so in the Interlaken-Grindelwald-Wengen area - and this is a scenic train ride to get there as well once in Switzerland and then out to Italy

kerouac Sep 30th, 2008 09:42 AM

Trains are more interesting. You shouldn't be in a hurry if you are on vacation.

PalenQ Sep 30th, 2008 09:57 AM

Not only are they more interesting but they, trains are a great way to meet locals and you see what you came to Europe to see - the Europe in between cities like Amsterdam, Paris and Venice - like Switzerland and the Swiss Alps in between Amsterdam and Italy

If you only see three mega tourist cities and only airports you have not seen much of the real Europe IMO

and trains in Europe are so fantastic and modern and fast and comfy and...

SAnParis2 Sep 30th, 2008 02:44 PM

Drop Venice, spend more time in Paris & someplace else (London, Brugges, etc.) You may want to consult a map as well. Use the train.

anitas Sep 30th, 2008 08:14 PM

Just returned from Amsterdam. I agree 8 days is to much. I would only spend 3-4 days there. We also went to other countries while in Europe this summer. We flew Sky Europe from place to place. Very inexpensive. For example: Amsterdam to Prague was 80 one way per person.

Cowboy1968 Sep 30th, 2008 11:56 PM

When I assume that both your itinerary and your accomodations are fixed and you cannot change the routing and the number of nights in each city, I would go:
PAR-VCE by plane,
VCE-AMS by plane,
AMS-PAR by train.

Eight days in A'dam proper may be a bit too much but since there are numerous options for great day trips, e.g. to Delft, Gouda, Noord-Holland, (also Rotterdam harbor IMO, if you need a break from "quaint" towns) you will be able to keep yourself busy. Train travel within the Netherlands is very easy and well organized, with many trains per hour in each direction from A'dam.