Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First Time in Austria -- Salzburg or Vienna? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-time-in-austria-salzburg-or-vienna-62131/)

Marie Feb 8th, 2000 07:18 PM

First Time in Austria -- Salzburg or Vienna?

My husband and I are visiting friends in Garmisch-Partenkir in November and would like to spend some time in Austria (4-5 days). We're sort of narrowed it down to either Salzburg or Vienna -- any preferences out there? We just want to relax and enjoy ourselves -- don't need to be too occupied sightseeing. Also, would prefer if it weren't too "touristy." Any advice would be much appreciated.

Helena Feb 8th, 2000 07:36 PM

I'd be hard-pressed to decide between the two and me being me, I'd go for both. They're so different and have wholly different feels, histories, and surroundings. Vienna is tremendous, while Salzburg is romantic. Vienna shows grandeur, while Salzburg is quaint. Salzburg can be very touristy though, and I'm not sure if it would hold my interest for 5 days. Honestly, I think you have time for both without having to rush -- especially if you're not determined to hit every museum, historical site, or gallery.

lisa Feb 8th, 2000 07:42 PM

Personally I preferred Salzburg. It's so small and beautiful whereas I find Vienna too be like other cities. You could also take day trips from Salzburg out into the country and even over to Berchtesgaden in Germany for a Saltmine tour and up in the mountains to Eagle's Nest.

Lynn Feb 8th, 2000 08:02 PM

Helena is right. Both are so different and both are wonderful places. You may be a bit hurried to do both in 4 or 5 days. Is the a chance you can see Vienna the next vacation - maybe combining it with Prague? Both places are touristy, but you will be able to find lots of spots to relax during the day and evening. Just even if you take in the city sites, will be enjoyable, although i recommed seeing as much as you can without exhausting yourself. <BR>My only concern is Salzburg may not have enough for you for 5 days. Consider a side trip to Innsbuck or another part of Austria. The scenery is so beautiful. <BR>Have a great time. I'm jealous! <BR>

Jeanie Feb 9th, 2000 08:52 AM

I would definitely choose Vienna. I think the whole Viennese culture is about relaxing and taking it slow, if that is what you are looking for you can find it there. You don't need to be taking in every museum in Vienna, I think the true experience is more about strolling downtown, spending the evening in a coffee shop, etc. When I lived there it seemed like most people only came to vienna to do a whirlwind tour on their way to Salzburg or Prague. <BR>Salzburg is cute, for about a day. And in my opinion, very, very touristy. If you are trying to avoid touristy, avoid Salzburg.

Anna Feb 9th, 2000 09:17 AM

I too would pick Salzburg over Vienna. It is small and compact enough that you can walk everywhere. I was there during the peak of the tourist season, and found that only about 2 blocks on one street seemed "too" touristy. I think traveling in the off season you will not encounter the busloads of tourists that can spoil the experience. As mentioned previously, the scenery around Salzburg is so beautiful, and it is very easy to take short day trips to truly breathtaking places. If you want to go shopping, I don't think Salzburg is the place to go. On the other hand, if you love history, music and, scenery, and just soaking up the atmosphere, I think you would love it. On the other hand, I loved Vienna too, but it was just a totally different experience. To me, Vienna was delightful, but Salzburg was magical!

Paulo Feb 9th, 2000 10:01 AM

I doubt that either city will be THAT touristy in November! Anyways ... <BR>If I'd be travelling by train I would choose Vienna for the whole stay. I agree with Jeanie regarding Viennese culture and the city certainly breathes it to the extreme. Enjoy a couple of museums and just take it easy the rest of the time. 4-5 nights are too much for Salzburg and I wouldn't like to do many train daytrips ... since I also don't like handling luggage and stuff getting in and out of train stations, I wouldn't care to stop in Salzburg either. <BR>If I'd be travelling by car, I would stop in Salzburg (I don't mind getting stuff out of the car to the hotel room :-), spend a full day there and head to Vienna for the remaining time. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

kim Feb 9th, 2000 01:02 PM

If I remember correctly, the train ride from Salzburg to Vienna was about 3 hours - I would do both!

Wes Fowler Feb 9th, 2000 04:23 PM

Marie, <BR>I would opt for Vienna for a number of reasons. November in Vienna offers a couple of interesting music festivals, one devoted to the music of Schubert, another to contemporary Viennese composers. It's also the month when the "new" wines are introduced and a visit to one of the Heuringers (inns purveying wine) on the outskirts of Vienna proper (Grinzing, for example) can be a delightful experience as you sip wine and are serenaded by a roving trio playing Strauss waltzes. Vienna is a majestic Imperial city, far more so than Salzburg. It's more cosmopolitan with fashionable shops, historic coffee houses and magnificent palaces and museums. If all that doesn't occupy your four or five days, a two hour train ride will take you to Budapest for a totally different perspective of yet another Imperial city.

steve Feb 9th, 2000 04:51 PM

Salzburg. Five days isn't enough for me. Although 'touristy', the salt mine tour and ice caves at Werfen are unique experiences worth your time

Betsy Feb 9th, 2000 05:28 PM

Peersonally, I'm not a big fan of Vienna. So naturally I'd pick Salzburg! But, you have 5 days and mention wanting to relax. Have you thought about staying afew days in one of the lake district,(Salzkammergut{sp?}). Hallstatt is incredible! Beautiful, small, incredibly relaxing and worth a two night stay. One of the best days I've ever had was looking out at the lake drinking beer with friends. The best part is it's only about an hour, hour and half out of Salzburg. <BR>Enjoy, <BR>Betsy

Rich Feb 9th, 2000 05:46 PM

The Salzkammergut "Lakes Region" of Austria, particularly around Lake St. Wolfgang about 30 miles southeast of Salzburg offers a perfect location in close proximity to the sights of Salzburg, as well as St. Gilgen, Hallstatt, Gmunden, and Bad Ischl. It's ideal for relaxation and exploring the many quaint towns in this beautiful lakes an mountains region, if you have a car. Plus if your departing from Munich on your return flight, it's only about 2 1/2 hours drive to the Munich airport. Rich

Marie Feb 18th, 2000 01:20 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. I will take some time to look over them, and will let you know what I decide.

Flo Feb 19th, 2000 06:12 AM

You have a difficult choice, but, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with either decision. Vienna is my absolute favorite city in the world. I have been there four times, beginning in the 60's and always find it an enchanting, beautiful place with much to see and do. It has the grandeur of the past. Salzburg is a small town in comparison, but it too has its own charm. A couple of my memorable travel experiences were a side trip to Bertschesgarden (sp?) and time spent wandering through a cemetary there, as well as a castle and water gardens outside the town which enchanted my sons. Whatever you decide, I think you are in for a treat.

Joe Mar 21st, 2000 05:52 PM

My wife and I will be arriving in Zurick on April 29 and will be touring cities of Switzerland and Austria. We are concerned about weather conditions and temperatures for this time of year in that area of Europe. We think will be cool. Does anyone have any knowledge of probable forecasts. Should we dress for warm, cool or cold temps and what about rain for that period as past experience may show. Thanks.

john Mar 29th, 2000 05:12 AM

First off, I thing that Garmish is a great spot! Try the Frauendorfer for a fun evening out! Now that said I would also recommend the drive down to Innsbruck, past the beautiful town of Mittenwald, worth a stop! Then on to Salzburg, maybe with a side trip through Kitzbuehl! Oh by the way, I love skiing and the Alps and might be partial to the areas that have both! Either way, I will be doing a similar trip in April!.....Have fun! <BR>JOHN