Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First Time European traveler looking for best Italy and Greece combo

Dec 29th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi

I am looking for insight and guidance on how to plan a trip around 7/4 (wedding) in Maratea Italy. We would like the trip to be about 10 days and was wondering what would be the best options for flights and cities to visit as we split this. We will be flying from Los Angeles CA. Should we fly into Italy then go to Greece or the other way around. What would be the best mode of transportation between the 2 countries.
Dec 29th, 2016, 03:57 PM

If you mean 10 days total -- that only leaves 7.5 days free on the ground. Not really enough time for two countries.
Dec 29th, 2016, 04:35 PM

The number of days available is unclear. You either have scant few days or no days after accounting.

"trip to be about 10 days" can mean:

1. LAX to LAX calendar days. This translates to 7 full days. From which you subtract days commuted to wedding. How many days are you left with?
2. Calendar days in Europe counting arrival and departure day. You have 8 full days in this case.
3. 10 full days in Europe not counting the arrival or the departure day. From this, you still need to subtract days committed to wedding. How many days are you left with?
4. 10 full days left in Europe, after accounting for days committed to wedding.

Even if it is the last case (4), 10 full days not committed to wedding, It is still tight to cross over to Greece. If you must, you need to fly. Any other way is too slow. You can fly to Athens from Napoli (closer, but limited number of flights) or from FCO (more flights, but further away from Maratea)
Dec 29th, 2016, 05:10 PM

So in Maratea you are just south of the Amalfi Coast and Capri. 10 days is not long enough to do both but you could try..
I would Fly into Rome 2 days do all the sights. then Train down to Sorrento don't even get off in Naples its not worth stopping - in Sorrento its beautiful stay at the grand capidomante 1 day - you can ferry to Capri from there 1 DAY - then take the bus to Positano stay 1 day - pizza at tre sorell - then ferry to Almalfi but stay in Ravello 1 Day at the hotel Palumbo its like mt Olympus up there

If you do go to Greece
start in Athens stay at the Electra Palace 1 day - great neighborhood for shopping and restaurants walk to the acropolis its very cool - fly to Santorini ( don't take the ferry is too long the flight is cheap and 1 hr ) Stay at the Astra - not a better hotel on the island - 2 days - then ferry to Mykonos stay at the Mykonos Grand 1-2 days ! then ferry back to Athenns - then to Naples then down the Amalfi coast as written above - do not miss ravello !!! The astra in Santorini may be the best hotel ever - tell them Maurice from Miami says hello
Dec 29th, 2016, 05:43 PM

Maurice, just curious, not criticizing. All the places and hotels you suggest are lovely. I have obviously not had your experiences - I am old and slow. The itineraries you are recommending to the OP seem almost impossible in their time frame. Have you actually done either of those itineraries within that time frame?
Dec 29th, 2016, 05:48 PM

I agree Sassafrass -- that is a totally unrealistic itinerary. The OP has 10 days - not 3 weeks.

Then there is the >>don't even get off in Naples its not worth stopping<< ??
Dec 29th, 2016, 07:37 PM

Willy, what if someone from Europe wrote you saying, first time to USA, I haVE 7 days (but maybe it's 5 when you take off a day each end to get to Calif) ... and I'd like to see Los Angeles, YOsemite, San Francisco, Seattle Las Vegas and oh yes, the Grand Canyon. How would you suggest I plan this trip. You would groan and hold your head and say, WHAT does this person expect?!?!? 'Nuff sed.
Dec 29th, 2016, 08:15 PM

Same as Janis.
Don't get off the train?

OP : a wedding ? Yours ? Such a rushed itinirary ? Wanna split too ?
Dec 30th, 2016, 12:35 AM

By 7/4 do you mean April 7th or July 4th? In Europe the day is placed first and then the month.

I agree you don't have enough time for Greece, and not much time for both a wedding and sightseeing in Italy either.
Dec 30th, 2016, 12:41 AM

Do you want to visit a bit of Italy or a bit of Greece?
For the latter, you can either fly from Lamezia via Rome or Milan to different places in Greece or you can take a train to Naples and board there a Greece bound plane. Volotea flies from Naples to 6 different Greek destinations.
Jan 2nd, 2017, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the insights, yeah maybe we need to stretch our trip out a few more days. Its my cousin's wedding on the 4th of July in Maratea.

What if we did only 10 days in Italy what are 3 best cities to visit including the wedding destination in which we will probably have 2 days there.
Jan 2nd, 2017, 02:08 PM

What if we did only 10 days in Italy what are 3 best cities to visit including the wedding destination in which we will probably have 2 days there.>

8 days

Well Rome and Venice and Florence are consensus top cities in Italy

Rome-4 days

Train to Florence 1.5 hrs

Florence- 2 days

Train to Venice about 3 hours

Venice- 2 days

Fly home from Venice

That's about as quick as you could do3 cities

Take trains -for lots on Italian trains check www.trenitalia.com; www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Book ASAP to nab discounted train fares much cheaper than walk-up fares.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 08:10 AM

The tremendous cities and Greek temples of Sicily could be a alternative to the "Holy Trinity" Rome-Florence-Venice".
Check Siracusa/Ortiga, Taormina, Noto-Modica-Ragusa, Roman villas of Tellarao and Casale, Greek temples of Agrigento, Segesta and Selinunte, Palermo and Monreale.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 08:28 AM

If you choose to do the Holy Trinity of Italian cities (we did them this summer for just 2 to three days each) but combined them with a month in Greece.
Here are images of those three cities.
Rome http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7634677664021/
Florence https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...57671594102956
Venice https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...57671686432425
Jan 3rd, 2017, 09:07 AM

It is still not clear how many full days the OP really has outside the wedding. 10 days including the wedding can be as tight as like this or it can be more. If on tight side of the interpretation, there really isn't that much time.

"tight" schedule interpretation of "10 days" in Italy. This yields 6.5 full usable days. This would be ok for 2 not-on-the-opposite-ends-of-Italy destinations, one of which would need to be at the departure city if the flight home departs in the morning.

day 1 = arrival day (probably not usable)
night 1 = Maratea
night 2 = Maratea
day 3 = partial day available
night 3 = elsewhere
night 4 = elsewhere
night 5 = elsewhere
night 6 = elsewhere
night 7 = elsewhere
night 8 = elsewhere
day 9 = last full day in Italy
night 9 = elsewhere
day 10 = departure day (not usable)

This leaves
Jan 3rd, 2017, 09:42 AM

In my view, although Rome, Florence and Venice are the 'Big Three", Napoli is not far behind and the Amalfi Coast is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Given the length of time you have and where you must be, that's what I would, do with, say, three nites in Rome to go cap it off.

Keep in mind that it will be hot and very crowded, but it will be crowded for a reason.