First time Amalfi with Teen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I am planning a trip to the AC for spring break with spouse and 18 year old and would like your input! Chose the AC, becuase the spouse and I have made a few trips to italy and are working way south. We love the Cinque Terre and considered taking her there, but probably not warm enough yet. From the postings I gather Naples is not going to be our thing. Would like to do some hiking, see Vesuvius, Paesteum, Positano and thought of staying in Sorrento but not 100% sold on that. We stayed at a great family run inn, on the beach in the CT, so we are trying to get that type of atmoshphere. A heated pool would be a plus. Would also like to do Capri. Prefer to stay in one place and make day trips. Will have 5 full days for fun. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 07:52 AM

i think the typical 18 yr old could care less what AC base they are in - being by the beach probably trumps all other considerations
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:51 AM

We stayed here ...

http://www.lavuedor.com/

... last August with a 16, 14 and 10 year old. We did most of the things you mention. Very nice place and a great pool, but I have my doubts it would be warm enough in March (average temperature 59/15). Some would say you need a car but we took the bus and train everywhere without a hitch.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

We are going March 27. I thought on the off chance it might be warm to swim....Lavuedor looks very nice. I did want something a bit smaller, like 20 rooms or so.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Hearted pool might be difficult to find, but you might try asking this hotel:; friends were very happy there recently.

http://www.furoreinn.it/english.asp

If you truly want the heated pool. I know that Il Moresco on Ischia has a fabulous one.

http://www.ilmoresco.it/test/test_06/flash.html
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM

Ask the fine people at www.summerinitaly.com for a 5 nites rental for an apartment. You should get a good deal that time of year. I would forget swimming--too early.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:54 PM

March is not swimming weather in the AC - we have gone in late May and that is good - and typically when pools open up. Don;t know off hand of anyplace with a heated pool at that time of year.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 02:59 AM

Yes, agree that late March is not for sea swimming and you would need a heated pool for pool swimming. I do not think these are easy to find on the AC. In fact I don't know of any. My guess is that most hotels will not even open their pools that early.

But heated thermal pools are in abundance on Ischia and you certainly could swim in the Moresco pool, or in the pool of one of the many other hotels on that island at that time of year.

But that would mean an Ischian vacation, not an AC vacation!
Sea swimming on the AC would begin in May and even then the waters will be a bit chilly...
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 08:01 AM

a teen may not be interested in things adults are so try to include some action things like ascending Mount Vesuvius - all the way to the crater - can do via mini-buses then a short trek - can include with a visit to Pompeii - have the kid due some research to make it more relevant - from there a mini-bus (or bus?) goes to the Vesuvius staging place to trek to the crater and peer into the still fuming volacano that once buried Pompeii and periodically other villages in its lava flow paths. Buses go to the Vesuvious staging area from other towns as well i think.

Vesuvius travel guide - Wikitravel
Aug 13, 2009 ... Mount Vesuvius is in Campania, in Italy, overshadowing the Bay of Naples. ... For €16.50, they will offer a ticket with entry to the crater. ...
wikitravel.org/en/Vesuvius -