padua, italy, is one afternoon enough?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, While we are in Venice in a few weeks (can't believe I'm finally saying weeks instead of months!!) we are thinking of taking an afternoon out of our four days in Venice to visit Padua. I would love some thoughts on whether or not a 1/2 day is long enough for a wander around this town. I would also be happy to have suggestions as to the "must see" places in Padua. We will catch a train from Venice. thanks, Cathie
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:41 AM

Well, we are staying there 2 days, but that's out of a four week trip. With only four days in Venice I wouldn't go anywhere else.

However, if you really want to, the top 'must see' is the Scrovegni Chapel with its Giotto frescos. You can book ahead online, which I have done - http://www.cappelladegliscrovegni.it/eng/index_e.htm. You can book a double length visit after 7pm and there are some useful hints here on Fodors for visiting it.

Tropadvisor lists various other sights - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ua_Veneto.html.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:04 AM

I have been to Padua on day trips from Venice a few times. It is a nice daytrip, though I would prefer a full day rather than just half a day.

The Scrovegni Chapel is the truly must see. You must reserve ahead and arrive at the set time since you will spend 15 minutes in a room as the atmosphere is adjusted around you before you visit the chapel.

Many make a quick visit the Church of the Erimitani to see the shattered Mantegna frescoes--convenient because it's just next door to the Scrovegni complex.

From there, I would stroll toward the Basilica of St Anthony. This is a large complex dedicated to the very popular saint. You can see reliqueries containing some of his small body parts--not for the squeamish--and also his tomb where the faithful come to pray.

For me, the other truly important stop is the Baptistery of the Duomo. Truly impressive frescoes.

There are plenty of other things to do, but with a short time I would concentrate on these.
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi Caroline and Ellen, thank you for the replies. The side trip to Padua is a favour to friends who absolutely loved it and have begged us to see it while we are there. So, we will give up 1/2 day in Venice as I couldn't bear to come home and have disappointed them. I've read about the Scrovegni Chapel, I wonder if it's too late to book, we will be in Venice on May 28.
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Spend your half day at the Scrovegni Chapel and the Basilica of St. Anthony..then hurry back to Venice.
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM
yk

cathies- check the website that caroline has given you. You can see if there're still slots available for the Scrovegni Chapel. If there are then book it right away. It'll be a shame to go to Padua and not see the Chapel.
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:33 AM

I just checked a random time of 1400 on the 28th and there were 5 places available.
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:59 AM

As others have said, the Scrovegni Chapel is THE main attraction. Be sure to get a reservation - it is mandatory!

I also found the drive along Riviera di Brenta very compelling. There are also boat trips with stops and visits to the mansions.