Reload this Page >

First night in France

Search

First night in France

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Andrea

First night in France

My boyfriend and I are planning our first trip to France in October. We have reservations for our last 5 nights in Paris. We plan on traveling to Normandy and the Loire Valley for the first nine days. We don't have a set itinerary however, I was wondering if I might get suggestions as to where to stay our first night. We're planning on renting a car at the airport and heading out of Paris immediately. We've not decided if we're going towards Normandy or Loire first so, we're open to recommendations. We're looking for car rental suggestions also. Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Rex

Here's a place I have touted often - - http://www.chateaudejonvilliers.com - - even though I have never been there - - and I keep waiting for someone to bring back a personal report about the place. It looks great, at a super location for lots of different short excursions, and a very attractive price. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Leslie

Andrea - you don't say whether it's CDG or Orly airport...but my husband and I did this tour in reverse. We found it a reasonable drive from Fountainbleu to CDG. I don't recall our hotel but think Fountainbleu would be a wonderful first night. Then you could visit the palace there and head on south to, say, Blois as a launch pad for the Loire Valley. Blois has its own chateau and it's a great town.

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 09:18 PM
eileen

If you decide to go to the Loire first, I would definitely suggest Tours as a base for visiting the region. Tours is a beatiful old town on the banks of the Loire river, with a lot to offer in restaurants, scenery and history. The location in the region is great for visiting chateaux and wineries.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 02:57 PM
travellyn

Andrea, where ever you decide to drive, consider making it a short trip. The jet lag that first day can make for some pretty unsafe driving if you have any distance at all to go. (Ask me how I know!) You might consider taking a train to someplace like Tours, then starting your driving the next day.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Lauren

If you decide to go to Tours, by all means take the TGV directly from the airport and then crash at your hotel for a rest. You can go out for a nice dinner in the evening and pick up your rental car the following day in Tours. <BR> <BR>I do agree about not driving much until your body has adjusted to the time change.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 04:06 AM
Kay

My understanding of car hire in France (Hertz/Avis) is that you cannot get fully comprehensive insurance against theft or accident even for an additional fee. I read a web site story from a woman whose rental car was stolen and involved in an accident, and she is still in court some years later as the company keeps trying to take several thousand francs from her credit card. We have just booked with the Renault lease program (min 17 days). www.renaultusa.com