Reload this Page >

First in English Countryside

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2000, 08:21 PM
Danni

Although my husband and I have been to England many times, we are struggling with where to take my husband's brother and his wife on their first trip. We want to show them great villages and country scenes, but would really value getting other people's opnions on what's best to show them. We have about 12 days including some in London. Any suggestions?

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 12:29 AM
jim

for my money it would have to be the Cotswolds - beautiful and close to London - the British Tourist Authority should be able to provide info on places to stay etc.

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 04:20 AM
Jeff

I agree with Jim, but I'd also like to suggest Shropshire. The Long Mynd is beautiful as are a lot of the quaint little villages in the area. Have a nice time.

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 05:31 AM
John

Hi, Danni, <BR>I'd also recommend investigating East Anglia, looping from Cambridge into Norfolk & Suffolk, for villages like Kersey and Lavenham, and/or then up to the Yorkshire Dales, working out of York or Harrogate. Dons, farms, fens, and thatched roofs, then the Minster, stone villages, moorland, sheep and Old Peculiar. Plenty of variety.

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 01:34 PM
john

<BR> The Lake District is a must.

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 01:38 PM
elaine

I have heard strong recommendations for the Lakes, and for Wales.

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 03:25 PM
Karen

On one trip we spent three weeks south of London, between Cornwall on the west to Dover on the east. We included the Cotswolds, Devon and all the counties to Dover...it was a great trip just meandering through all the little villages, with frequent stops at scenic or historic places. For a first trip anything they see will be wonderful.

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 06:19 AM
Danni

Thanks for the great ideas! We would like more ideas on Shropshire as we have never been in that area. Has anyone spent time in Dorset?

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 08:50 AM
Patrick

About 10 years ago, our first venture to England outside of London, we took the train to York for a couple of nights, rented a car there, drove to the Lake District, then Chester, then Broadway in the Cotswalds, then Stamford, and then Lincoln, before finishing the circle and dropping the car back off in York, where we took the train on to Scotland. We spent two to three nights in each location, and wouldn't have changed a minute of it. It really gave us a good feel for a variety of places. On a slightly more limited time, you might cut Stamford completely, and narrow Chester down to one night. The drives between points were all easy and left lots of time for day time sightseeing and wonderful pub lunch stops enroute (but one of us had to be the designated driver at lunch.) <BR>Since that time we have returned to several of those areas for more detailed and longer stays, but that initial intro to English countryside is still my favorite. A similar circle could be made in Devon and Cornwall, but I would save that for the second one.

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 11:17 PM
Jan

I have been to Dorset loads of times and it is a lovely county. Lots to see there and some great countryside and villages. Next to Dorset is East Devon another lovely area and in parts very unspoilt, people seem to pass through on their way to South Devon and Cornwall without stopping, big mistake in my opinion. Again some picturesque coastal towns like Beer and Branscombe and if you are into National Trust and simular properties some good ones to visit in the area e.g. Knightshayes Court, Castle Drogo, Killerton and Forde Abbey. It is also worth mentioning if you like walking and hiking there are good walks both coastal and inland in this area.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 02:02 PM
Mary

You have to come to the Heart of England- from here you can do Shakespeare, the Cotswolds and are near enough for day trips to places like Oxford.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 12:50 AM
April

Danni, <BR>From Shaftesbury to Lyme Regis and all around, Dorset really is lovely. My Mother always likes to visit the Poole Pottery. <BR>