Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First family trip to Europe for 15 days (Munich-Switzerland-Italy-Austria)- how to plan trip

Search

First family trip to Europe for 15 days (Munich-Switzerland-Italy-Austria)- how to plan trip

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2000, 01:55 PM
Alla

We are going on our first family trip to Europe in August. We will fly to Munich when our friends from Israel will join us. We are planning to visit Switzerland, Italy and Austria. Transportation - cars. Our 15-days trip: <BR>Munich - 2 days <BR>Switzerland - 3 days (1-2 days Swiss Alp) <BR>Bellagio - 2 days <BR>Florence - 3 days <BR>Venice - 2 days <BR>Vienna - 2 days <BR>Salzburg - 1 day <BR>Any recommendation about route, where to stay, where to eat? What is the best time to drive (morning, evening) from one city to another? <BR>Our "team" will include 4 adults and 4 kids (7 and 16 year old). We would like to plan some activities for kids as well. Any advice will be greatly appreciate. <BR> Thanks, Alla. <BR>

Old May 4th, 2000, 02:34 PM
wes fowler

Alla, <BR>I think you're a bit overly ambitious in your planning. There's a distinct difference between "doable" and "meaningful". While your itinerary is "doable", I'm not at all sure it will be meaningful or memorable. Have you considered the driving time between some of your destinations, for example? Five hours and 300 miles from Munich to Interlaken; six and a half hours and 390 miles from Venice to Vienna. This drive time will significantly cut into your touring time in each city, as will driving within the cities and the hunt for parking space in proximity to hotels or inns. Are you really ready to cope with unpacking and repacking every other night or so? I'd be sorely tempted to either drop Vienna or Switzerland or both from the itinerary and devote the "saved" days to Munich and Bavaria including Salzburg or the Italian lake country and perhaps Venice.

Old May 4th, 2000, 08:29 PM
Alla

Thank you, Wes, for your respond. Well, it may be too much for the first time visiting Europe - we were waiting for this opportunity for a long time. <BR>Any ideas/advise on good places for kids there? <BR>

Old May 5th, 2000, 03:35 AM
steve

Some different things the kids might enjoy (you too!) <BR> <BR>These suggestions are all for the Salzburg area - will take more than one day (if it was me, i'd skip vienna and spend more time in salzburg) <BR> <BR>Werfen (just south of Salzburg) - Ice Caves <BR> <BR>Hallein - Salt Mine Tour <BR> <BR>Salzburg - Hellbrun Palace - the prankster Bishop has water jets appearing from various places - used to soak his guests

Old May 5th, 2000, 03:48 AM
Dawn

I agree that it is way too much in too short of a time, especially with kids no matter what their ages are. My husband and I did a whirlwind trip through england, wales and ireland for 11 dyas on our honeymoon (25years old and no kids along) and we were exhausted by the 8th day and too tired to do much. Have you thought about renting a place in a central location such as northern Italy? One week there where you could see the lakes area and one week in Switzerland? I know how excited you must be (we are going to Italy in June for a much needed vacation) but you should really rethink your plans. Save somethings for another time.

Old May 5th, 2000, 04:07 AM
Christine

I think the only revision to your itinerary is to skip Vienna and add the days in Switzerland and Salzburg. Where are you flying out of? <BR> <BR>Are you using Florence as a base to visit the Tuscan countryside? <BR> <BR>In my opinion I think your kids will probably enjoy Venice and Switzerland the most. You should go to Lucerne and/or Interlaken area for some easy hiking, alpine slides, transport museum, family friendly whitewater rafting, mountain biking, etc. (save the boat trip for Lake Como). <BR> <BR>One thing to keep in mind is that the 20km Gotthard Tunnel in Switzerland (the route to Italy) often gets backed up for miles (they're doing construction right now) early morning/late evening driving is best to avoid that and not on the weekend! <BR> <BR>I think the best thing you could do for yourself and the kids is to read up (rent appropriate movies) and educate yourself on the history of each area you're going to, it will enhance the experience 300%. <BR>

Old May 5th, 2000, 06:56 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Alla, I agree with Wes--far too much. <BR>You need to rent the movie " European <BR>Vacation" with Chevy Chase to get a feel <BR>for travel with that brood. You are <BR>going to need some help on this from <BR>the forum people. Take heed. I would <BR>start outside of Salzburg, drop Vienna, <BR>and end up coming from Switz. back to <BR>Munich at the end. Let me know if you <BR>need detail help.

Old May 7th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Paul

Hello, I think you've gotten great advice from others on cutting out some of your very ambitious intinerary. I can offer a few suggestions from our trip last summer that included 10 days in Switzerland, a few days in Germany, a week on a farm south of Salzburg, and a few days in Venice. <BR>They will probably enjoy Venice because it is so unique. Check other posts for parking garage information. The drive from Venice to Salzburg is about 250 miles. I would encourage you visit the castle at Werfen which some has already mentioned. At Werfen even have an evening castle dinner which my kids (ages 8 & 11 last summer) really enjoyed. Hohenwerfen also has an afternoon falconry display which was interesting. My daughters considered Hohenwerfen one of the highlights of their trip. We did visit the ice caves, but you would need a full half day just for that visit. Renting 'The Sound of Music' will give you some idea of what you might want to see in Salzburg. My daughters love that musical, so it was a highlight of our trip to visit the places where it was filmed. <BR>They also enjoyed a tour of a salt mine for something different, and I made sure we found one of the downhill slides,a Sommerrodelbahn,one day as a welcome diversion. <BR>Whether you are Switzerland or other locations in the Alps, kids enjoy the narrow gauge trains that take you high into the mountains. Adding a cable car or two gets you high into the mountains for great day hikes without wearing them out. <BR>My kids are easy to travel with and I planned the trip to switch gears from a week in the mountains, to visits to castles, to a more relaxed pace around Salzburg, to the visit to Venice. Giving your kids lots of variety on the trip will keep them interested, but it works better for my family not to switch locations every two or three days. Enjoy your trip!

Old May 13th, 2000, 02:04 PM
Alla

Thanks, Wes, Steve, Bob, Christine, Paul for responding to my question. I really appreciate your efforts. <BR>It was our first experience using the Fodor’s forum and we really appreciate your help and friendly advise. Shall I say that we became addictive to check the forums for new ideas and advises? Hope in the nearest future we will be able to contribute with our own experience. <BR>Mostly based on your feedback we decided to simplify our trip and avoid jumping from place to place in a short 2 weeks vacation. <BR>Instead, we will spend more time in Munich, Salzburg, and Zurich. Especially, we look forward to have a great time staying 4 days on Lake Maggioro in Italy. <BR> <BR>Again, many thanks for your friendly advise!!! <BR>

Old May 14th, 2000, 11:19 AM
Scott

Dear Alla, <BR> <BR>The only advice that I could add is if your group is going to be in more than one car ( as your post suggests ) I would bring along or purchase some 2way radios (walkie talkie), unless you have cell phones that work in Europe. I done mutiple car trips in Europe with and without them and especially in Germany you will likely get seperated a little if not on the Autobahn then certainly in a city, even if you are trying hard to stay togeather. Also while touring on foot the whole group(i.e. parents & teenagers) need not remain togeather in fear of not knowing when and where to meet for lunch, et.al.

Old May 15th, 2000, 06:14 PM
Dave Hutchinson

Congratulations on simplifying your trip! I know that that is a hard pill to swallow, but you will be so much happier with the modifications that you have made. You will fall in love with Switzerland. We spent 9 days there in 1998. We bought a rail pass and were on more than 20 trains during our trip. What an experience. We can't wait to go back and catch up on the many places that we missed the first time. <BR> <BR>-Dave- <BR>www.CrazyAboutTravel.com