First day itinerary in Ireland...

Jun 12th, 2000, 03:07 PM
Amy

First day itinerary in Ireland...

Hello! We are landing in Shannon at 7:30 am and are trying to plan our first day and are wondering if it is too much. Our first two nights are in Adare, but we were thinking of first heading up to the Cliffs of Moher, then back to see Bunratty Castle and then end up in Adare. The rest of the trip will keep us in the southwest and since we depart out of Dublin, that may be our only chance to see the cliffs. Is it too much for our first day? Thanks.

Jun 12th, 2000, 03:37 PM
Michael

Amy - If you flew into Shannon and landed at 730 Am like you will have come from Chicago...

You will more than likely be tired. I flew into Shannon from New York,and we landed at 630 AM. We checked into our hotel and took a nap. Then we spent the afternoon at Bunratty. Driving up to the Cliffs is an involved trip and the roads are not exactly like freeays or interstates. We went to the Cliffs on the second Morning.

Jun 13th, 2000, 07:44 AM
Ann

Don't miss the Cliffs. I would suggest NOT taking a nap that first day, and just toughing it out. If you sleep during the first day, you're never going to get on to a normal schedule. Bunratty's better to do at night, what with the mead and wine flowing as it does at the feast. It's horribly tourist, but a lot of fun. Even my Ireland-native husband, who REALLY did not want to go, enjoyed himself to no end.

Jun 13th, 2000, 09:43 AM
Bob

Be careful about how much you do on your first day. You will have been on an all night flight and would have had little sleep. You will find that by 2pm you will start running out of steam.

Jun 13th, 2000, 10:04 AM
Gina

We did the Cliffs our first day, after an all-night flight. Arrived in Shannon about 7:30, picked up the rental car, and drove up around Ennis toward Doolin.
While I wouldn't say it was ideal, it's definitely doable, especially if you're an energetic sort. The experience of the Cliffs was so powerful that all thought of jetlag left me. As we approached them I said to my friend, "Is your heart pounding too?" She couldn't say anything, just nodded. It's not that the Cliffs of Moher are all that tall (only about 300 feet, I believe) or otherwise an extreme "natural wonder"--but there's just something about this place that, at least for me, was thunderingly intense. Even though it was February, we had a beautiful blue day, and I never wanted to leave.

What may clobber you, though, is the drive *back* to Adare after the Cliffs. We didn't have far to go and we were whipped. I'm not familiar with Adare's location; how long will your return drive be?

Jun 13th, 2000, 12:23 PM
Sue

Getting from the Cliffs to Adare on the same day that you land in Ireland it a bit much. Try staying at the Cliffs for the first night. Adare the second

Jun 13th, 2000, 01:12 PM
david

Drive to Cliffs (figure about an hour and a half or so) and wander around. They are incredible and not to be missed. However, driving back to Shannon for Bunratty and on to Adare is too much. Book a nights stay at the Sea View House B&B in Doolin. Its up on a hill overlooking the town and about a one minute walk from O'Connors Pub whihc had some great music, Guinness and people in it. If that is not available, I would try other B&Bs in the area. Hope this helps

Jun 16th, 2000, 08:47 PM
marc

David is right on. Enjoy the Cliffs with no pressure and then head to Gus O'Connor's. This is ground zero for traditional music in Ireland. Doolin is Ireland. Bunratty is lame shamrockery. Have a blast!

Jun 25th, 2000, 03:33 PM
jp

yes, far too much..

Jun 26th, 2000, 12:03 AM
John

Hear, hear! give Ireland a chance; take it all at a gentle pace. If you miss a few sights so what? You have lived this long without seeing them and seem to have survived! The things you will remember are the small things so let them happen too. meet people, touch the land, inhale deeply. Maybe the first day should be spent in a hostelry or just sitting on a bench watching the world pass by. Have a great time but not too fast!

Jun 27th, 2000, 03:18 AM
elaine

Amy,

We also landed at Shannon early morning.
Since you mention you'll be staying there first two nights, my suggestion is to drive to Cliffs second day in Adare. To see Ireland 'properly' you shouldn't rush and I heartily second John's comments.
The AMA just published good article on jet lag. Gist of article is to keep your normal schedule at home and try to sleep on the flight. Get out in the sunlight/daylight upon arrival.
Adare is a charming town...why not poke around there first day.
Have a fabulous vacation.

Jun 27th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Gina

David--when you mention the Sea View House, are you referring to Darra and Niall Hughes' place? If so, then I heartily second the recommendation. That's where we stayed in Doolin and we absolutely loved it. Great views, wonderful turf fire in the family room, clean, bright, comfortable and reasonably spacious room, and such nice people. We wanted to stay longer.

Jun 29th, 2000, 05:41 AM
Triple T

After flying to Ireland, I have always found it helpful to take a SHORT nap, then a little exercise. If you start tearing around as soon as you land, you'll run out of steam early evening! BTW - Ireland is best enjoyed at a leisurely pace. Try not to pack in too much.

Before you drive all that distance, you would do well to CHECK THE WEATHER because in bad weather you may not be able to see the cliffs at all! There's really nothing else to see out that way except scenery, so you'd be wasting your time in bad weather.

Jun 29th, 2000, 05:56 AM
David

Gina - That's the place...Darra was extremely nice and very helpful in helping us look for a B&B in Kenmare for the next leg of the journey. We will definitely be back. As for the Cliffs, I understand they are 600-700 feet. After peering over the edge, they are definitely higher than 300 feet. I still get goosebumps when I thnik about walking along the path, inches from oblivion if we should have fallen. Can't wait to go back.

Jul 12th, 2000, 08:32 AM
Al Mikesell

Shannon and County Clare will give you a fantastic welcome to Ireland. If at all possible allow one night at Bunratty. The drive through Ennis to the Cliffs is a short one, but you will miss an experience by not stopping at Doolin after leaving the Cliffs of Moher. We have spent a total of 39 nights at B&B homes in Ireland over the past 19 months and found Ashgrove House in Bunratty to be the best welcome for all visitors to Ireland. It is a short walk to Bunratty Castle where you could enjoy the Banquet on your first night in Ireland. If you find this impossible then at least remember to take the time to ENJOY Ireland. Do not rush from place to place because you will miss the experience of meeting some very nice people. I can recommend many very nice and resonable Bed and Breakfast homes for you to consider. Those places help you understand how special Ireland can be to everyone.