Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   First Day In Ireland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/first-day-in-ireland-464762/)

gig Aug 4th, 2004 10:59 AM

First Day In Ireland

We will be traveling from the US and arriving into Shannon in the early morning. Is a drive to the Cliffs of Moher and then onto Galway too ambitious of a plan for the first day of our 13 day trip to Ireland??

Budman Aug 4th, 2004 11:11 AM

I did much worse, and it shouldn't be a problem. I would recommend contacting your first B&B to see if you can check in early. I find that if I can get a shower and a 2-hour nap, I am good for the rest of the night.

What's the rest of your itinerary like? ((b))

waffle18 Aug 4th, 2004 11:18 AM

Gaaak! I should have posted to this one since it's more specific in it's title. Here's what I wrote since this thread will probably be the one that makes it...

I think this is doable though I wouldn't try for any further.

It depends a good bit on how long you've been flying (from the west coast we are 10 hours in the air), how well you sleep on the plane (we can't) and what time you get in on the day.

Sorry that really wasn't too clear of an answer. Hopefully, you'll be fine. Is there a reason you want to get to Galway on the first day? Reservations perhaps?

Budman has the right idea. Get a rest in if you can but not for too long!

Wendy

[email protected]

gig Aug 4th, 2004 11:19 AM

We are planning 3 nites in Galway at the Marless House.Then over to Dublin. We are planning a day/nite near the Curragh before heading to Tramore. Staying there a couple nites before hitting Kinsale for a few. Have made arrangements for several nites in Dingle & the final nite in Bunratty. Any suggestions/changes are always welcome!

gig Aug 4th, 2004 11:27 AM

Wendy,

Sorry for the duplicate post! We will be traveling from Baltimore/Washington airport. My husband & I have never traveled overseas so unsure if we will be able to sleep. Thought Galway would be a good central spot for a few days? But always willing to reconsider. We are not going until May 2005 so plenty of time to adjust our itinerary. Thanks for your imput.

waffle18 Aug 5th, 2004 06:51 AM

As others have stated, you should be fine getting to Galway especially since you will not have that loooong Atlantic flight like I do! Just take your time and you should make it no problem.

Your general outline is a good one; not too much moving but you are seeing a good bit and making a nice large circle around Ireland. Where in Kildare will you be staying? (we have family in the area and it's not a place many folks actually plan on traveling to... :D )

Make sure you do some day trips out of Galway and into Connemara and maybe out to the Aran Islands. This area is a favorite of mine and one we visit everytime we go back.

I'm hoping to return in May, too. Maybe we'll see you pass us by!

Cheers,

Wendy

[email protected]

gig Aug 5th, 2004 07:31 AM

Wendy,

My husband is a horse racing fan so we are planning a day at Curragh. I have been researching the area and have had some correspondence with Ann Noone at the Curragh Plains Guest House. If you any other suggestions..I'am all ears! Thanks for your help.

waffle18 Aug 5th, 2004 07:53 AM

Well, as I said, we have family in the area so stay with them when we visit. I have stayed at Martinstown House which is near the Curragh but not walking distance or anything. You can find info about the place at
www.HiddenIreland.com

Make sure that you visit the National Stud and Japanese Gardens while in the area. I got to see so many beautiful race horses and newborn foals while there I hardly knew which way to look! Well worth your time.

Wendy

gig Aug 5th, 2004 08:09 AM

Wendy,

Any suggestions on where to stay outside of Dublin? We will probably travel from Galway to Dublin on our 4th day. We would like to find a B&B where we could take a bus/DART into the city.
Thanks for the suggestion of the Stud Farm/Gardens, I saw them listed in Rick Steve's travel guide as well!

waffle18 Aug 5th, 2004 09:30 AM

From Newbridge (where the family is), we have taken the train and bus into Dublin on several occations. More often though we will drive. It's 30 or 40 minutes drive from Newbridge and it's nice to have our own car with us so we can go and come as we please in Dublin. (It is longer for the train and much longer by bus.) Parking is the big issue as it is pricey and sometimes hard to find. We try to time our Dublin visits with weekdays and non-commuter traffic. You guys could do the same while staying at the B&B you plan on going to while in Kildare.

Lots of other places near or in Dublin though that Fodors folks recommend. Do a Search in the Ireland threads or post another question (with 'Dublin B&B or Nearby' in the title and lots of folks will reply. Siobhan and cailin are two of our frequent Dublin locals and know the place well.

Please feel free to email me directly, too.

Wendy

[email protected]