first class passenger - what to wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is acceptable attire for first class? does it matter? will a sweatpant out fit be ok?
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:09 PM

Wear what you are comfortable in. I dont think there is a dress code for 1st class.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:13 PM

Generally,first class passengers dress better(but not always). You'll find the usual range. Does it matter?Probably not. I've never liked the term 'sweatpants' but if you mean pants with matching zippered top, they'll be fine. Cleanliness is more important than design. On a long flight comfort is most important. That said, I've never felt that comfort need equate with sloppy.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:15 PM

BA first class on long haul provides you with PJ.

All top tier Asian airlines such as Cathay, Singapore, provides you with silk PJs in first class on Transpac flights.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:57 PM

The folks in the tattered jeans and tie-dyed t-shirts are the paying passengers.

The ones in three-piece suits are non-revs.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:57 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
First-class passenger attire on select trans-Atlantic services - guidelines:

(Note - not all airlines offer first class any more, some offer "upper" class or business class as their premier cabins.)

American Airlines - Consult reruns of "Dallas" for outfitting guidelines. EXCEPTION - on LAX-LHR service (contract carrier for SAG), torn jeans and sunglasses. Two-day growth of beard on chiseled chin for male pax; velour track suit and YSL tote for females.

United Airlines - That "Sunday Best" outfit you hid during the visit from the bankruptcy court's auditors.

British Airways - Business casual, befitting of BA Executive Club members (average age = pischer) who are riding in FC because they used miles to upgrade business class tickets bought by their employers. Or using American Express 2-4-1 coupons obtained through serial shopping at Tesco.

Air France - Something suitable to go on strike in upon arrival. Must have sweater/jumper/scarf tied around neck. Gibberish/Franglaise leather coat is okay but awfully 20th-Century.

Lufthansa - Utilitarian and practical. Black is only permitted color.

Iberia - We don't care what you wear. Sit down and shut up. We'll bring you some food when we get around to it.

Air Canada - See United.

Virgin Atlantic Airways- Nothing that clashes with our cabin colour scheme. Oh wait - <i>everything</i> clashes with our colour scheme. Care for a massage? Ever met Sir Beard? Oh <i>I</i> have.

Swiss International Airways - Beige.

KLM - Wear what you like. Rimless glasses required, though. You'll have to wait till you're in the Jordaan before you can smoke <i>that</i>, though.

Northwest Airlines - First class? Northwest? Hahahaha.

Delta Airlines - See United.

Air India - Bare feet are allowed but passengers are cautioned not to step on under-seat mousetraps with unprotected toes.

Alitalia - It may be &quot;Magnifica&quot; class, but we know you only paid $33 for your ticket. No matter what you wear we will still be better looking.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:09 PM

Gardyloo, that is priceless!
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:11 PM

Gardyloo..
that is hilarious !!
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:19 PM

Yes, Gardyloo, that was great. A keeper!

Last year, I flew BA business to Chicago and on the way back to London, one of my Milan based Italian colleagues flew with me. We were both wearing dark casual slacks and cashmere Max Mara sweaters (not planned, it just happened that way). Being Italian, my colleague looked way more chic than me, of course. We checked in together, then meandered up to the biz lounge to eat dinner there instead of on the flight. When we signed into the lounge, I mentioned we wanted to eat together and the woman said, well then you'll have to eat in the business class area. An odd comment, I thought.

Halfway through dinner, I asked, Daniela, what row are you in? She looked and said, Row 1. Daniela, I said, you're in first class, not business! She shrugged, not particularly impressed. Just before she boarded, she retied her scarf, did something with her hair and a clip, and applied fresh lipstick. In about 2 minutes, she'd manage to assume an aura of glamour and sophistication worthy of a private jet, let alone first class. Those *$%!! Italians!!
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:31 PM

Yet another meaningless thread from a &quot;newbie&quot;. Must be her way of telling everyone she's flying first class.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:32 PM

Love it BTilke!

Hilarious Gardyloo, but mostly not true of Air Canada (Business Class) - we are almost ALL consultants up the front - road warriors, with millions of miles in our FF accounts that we never have the time to use. The only required attire are the notebook, the noise reducing headphones, the iPod.

Most important etiquette advice in BC is - DON'T TALK TO YOUR NEIGHBORS!!!!
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 05:52 PM

At least nobody is going to demand that you bring your seat forward during the meal and besides, none of them can reach that far forward.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM

I find it has more to do with demeanor and less to do with dress.

OReilly, there's the odd retired guy in among all those consultants, LOL.

Anselm
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:16 PM

Robespierre, that comment made me giggle. When i worked for American and would non-rev first class, they were strict with us (i had friends who were turned away for wearing jeans). So we'd be dressed nicely meanwhile the rest of the passengers were dressed not so nicely.

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:23 PM

Gardyloo...Priceless. That thread is a keeper!

Robspierre...You are SO right.

Marksalot256...If you have to ask then it doesn't really matter. We get it..first class.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:39 PM

I'll look out for you AnselmAdorne
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:27 AM

There is a dress code. Common sense and fitting in with your neighbors...Europeans are astonished at how Americans place their personal comfort above good manners and propriety. My friends think men should NEVER wear shorts or sweat clothing(unless they are white and on the tennis court). Equally, women should consider wearing skirts and slacks, which are quite different from outdoors clothing REI designed to be worn mountain climbing. Think of travelling as touring around a lovely place -- and it is fun to look equally good doing so. You'll be surprised at how much nicer the locals are to you as well if you make that tiny comfort sacrifice as a sign of respect.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:10 AM

You'll be surprised at how much nicer the locals are to you as well if you make that tiny comfort sacrifice as a sign of respect.

People who have traveled recently would say many of the &quot;locals&quot; now dress very much like Americans. Scary, no?
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:31 AM

&quot;There is a dress code. Common sense and fitting in with your neighbors...Europeans are astonished at how Americans place their personal comfort above good manners and propriety. My friends think men should NEVER wear shorts or sweat clothing(unless they are white and on the tennis court). Equally, women should consider wearing skirts and slacks, which are quite different from outdoors clothing REI designed to be worn mountain climbing. Think of travelling as touring around a lovely place -- and it is fun to look equally good doing so. You'll be surprised at how much nicer the locals are to you as well if you make that tiny comfort sacrifice as a sign of respect.&quot;

Then WHY was the UGLIEST, TACKIEST warm up type suit I have ever seen provided to me by Air France when they bumped me to First Class?? I guess AF fails your &quot;European&quot; standard. (Gray and ugly, I did not put it on!!!)

I do agree with tbe non-rev comments. My mother flew non-rev for years... she still dresses up to travel.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:42 AM

My philosophy is always this: comfort comes first, and it goes double when flying long-haul as I normally do. It's more the attitude than the dress code. I have been bumped up from economy to business or first class even though I was fresh off a two-week multiday hiking trip with backpack and scuffed boots, or wearing just jeans and T-shirt. Even when I'm flying between cities -- with flights of two hours or less -- I will still find time to do my so-called supergirl stunt (changing from business suits and heels to jeans and tee or sometimes sports tops). At the end of a business day, the last thing I want to do is to wear my suit and go onboard a plane. If I have a meeting scheduled at the other end of the flight, that's a different story. Otherwise, comfort is the word. Same goes for checking in at five-star or some fancy resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -