Notices

Finland train travel questions

Jul 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Finland train travel questions

We are a family of 4 ( 2 adults, a 5 year old and a 2 year old) and I am trying to buy tickets from Helsinki to Rovaniemi and back. On the VR site - it gives me the option to buy a family ticket and then I can select berths or cabins. Which should I pick? What is the difference? There's also upper and lower cabins - whats the difference in those? Each cabin seems to sleep 2 - does that mean we need two cabins? Or can our family with 2 little kids all be in 1 cabin?

Sorry for all the questions but this is all a bit confusing.
Jul 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM

A cabin contains one, two or three berths. If you book an individual berth, you will be sharing a cabin with others of the same sex. If you don't want to share with a stranger, book a whole cabin.
As far as I can see, the child fare is for age 6-16. Under sixes are presumably free, but will not have their own berth. The usual rule is that to get a separate berth for an infant, they must pay the child fare.
The Finnish railways are the Russian gauge, and the carriages are a little bigger than those in western Europe, so the sleeping compartments are more spacious.
Jul 7th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GeoffHamer.

Search this Thread