Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fine tuning NORMANDY TRIP (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fine-tuning-normandy-trip-693378/)

KARENNYC Apr 2nd, 2007 01:10 PM

Fine tuning NORMANDY TRIP

I was thinking of renting a car and driving for 2 days to see beuvron en auge, falaise, lyons le foret, cambremer, les andelys and jumieges. Is this too much to do in 2 days and if not, I was thinking I would stay in Honfleur and make that my base. If you think Honfleur is a good choice, any hotel recommendations around $140/nite or so.

koreaprincess Apr 2nd, 2007 03:49 PM

Honfleur is a charming little town and I don't remember the name of the hotel, but there are a few and you will stay within your budget. Don't forget to try to see the Bayeux Tapestry. Will you get to Mt.San Michelle?

StCirq Apr 2nd, 2007 04:50 PM

I wouldn't recommend traipsing to le Mont St-Michel (it's named after a man, Saint Michael, not Michelle) with only two days and a list of places you know you already want to see.

You should be able to get all that in in 2 days, just be forewarned that there are lots of other equally interesting sites in that neck of the woods, so be prepared to get sidetracked.

If you do choose Honfleur, I can recommend the Hôtel Ecrin, which should suit your budget nicely. There's also a B&B that comes recommended highly here ion Fodors by, I think, Michel_Paris, but I can't recall the name.

GrandeRandonnee Apr 2nd, 2007 05:32 PM

if you do go to Mt st. M., you MUST go in the early am before the hords of tired unhappy tourists crowd in!!

grandmere Apr 3rd, 2007 04:35 AM

La Cour Ste Catherine B and B in Honfleur is a great, well-located place to stay. The owners are friendly and very helpful. www.giaglis.com

KARENNYC Apr 3rd, 2007 07:22 AM

I have been to St Michel and am going to the DDay beaches and bayeux hence the other places. Do you all think I seeing the right places and not missing anything great and do you think honfleur is a good place to stay as a base. Les Andelys and those places look far.

Pausanias Apr 3rd, 2007 07:42 AM

Lyons la Foret is very close to Les Andelys, and Jumieges is on the far side of Rouen on the way to Honfleur. I suppose it could be done in a long day.

Gretchen Apr 3rd, 2007 08:28 AM

Where are you beginning? Why not make Bayeux your base.

jody Apr 3rd, 2007 08:39 AM

You don't mention when you are going, Cambremer has a fete of local products in early May and Beuvron en Auge has a wonderful Fete de Cidre in October.

If nothing special is on , you won't find that a great deal of time is needed to see either of those.

KARENNYC Apr 3rd, 2007 09:24 AM

I am going to be there around may 30th. Bayeux seemed too far as a base to go to those other places. I pick up and drop off car in caen. I guess if I keep my day flexible I can add or delete places of interest as the day goes on. I wasn't sure how traffice/roads would be.

TracyD Apr 3rd, 2007 06:25 PM

We used VRBO.com to find a place in Normandy. Our lodgings were a old french farmhouse very well kept by a wonderful British couple. (#95837)
Have a great trip!

Tracy & Curt

KARENNYC Apr 4th, 2007 12:12 PM

thank you all. I knew you would deliver