Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fine tuning continues..bus/ferry/taxi from Positano to Salerno??

May 1st, 2001, 08:33 AM
Kimerley

We need to reach Salerno train station from Positano by 1100 hours. What is the best/quickest way of doing this??
We have a driver from Naples to Positano for the princely sum of $AUD183, but do not wish to get another private transfer.
Any suggestions?

May 1st, 2001, 10:34 AM
Paulo

Never took a bus in the area, Kimerly. I only drove the piece once, in summer, the other way round and it took me more than one hour (but there was bumper to bumper traffic between Amalfi and Positano).

By SITA bus I understand you have to change in Amalfi. In summer (June 15th to Sep 14th) the relevant bus departs Amalfi at 9am, arriving in Salerno (Piazza Concordia) at 10:10am. This bus doesn't run on Sundays. Outside summer season, the bus runs 1/2 hour earlier. See
http://www.campaniatrasporti.it/sita/5121.htm

To get to Amalfi, you'll have to take the bus arriving from Sorrento. This leaves from Positano Chiesa Nuova at 7:10am (5 minutes later from Positano Sponda), arriving at 8am. See
http://www.uniplan.it/sita/s509.txt

As you may see, unless the SITA site is incorrect or there are chages effected till you get there, the situation is not very bright You have to start your trip 4 hours before your train departure!

Once the ferry takes about 1:15 hours from Positano to Salerno (and a fast ferry half of that) it would seem that it would be a better option. Unfortunately, it appears that the first departure from Positano is at 10am, not in time for you to catch the train. From Amalfi there would be a ferry at 8:35am (taking about 45 minutes to Salerno) but you'd have to get there, either with the bus above, a taxi or even a boat.

Paulo

PS. Where are you heading after Positano, Kimerley? Do you have to get that 11am, train in Salerno?

May 1st, 2001, 05:38 PM
Kimerley

Paulo, we are catching the train from Salerno to Rome then train to Airport to pick up a car from Avis by 1500.
We are then driving to Castel del Piano in Perugia. We need to book into our villa between 1700 and 1900!
Looks like it is going to be a long day!
Between the 3 of us we are drawing straws about who drives in Rome!

May 2nd, 2001, 07:35 AM
Paulo

Kimerley

The online info on hydrofoils out from Positano is rather conflicting. One has no ways to make sure how "old" the available info is. On the other hand, it will obviously depend on the season you're travelling. In summer, frequencies should surely be increased with respect to other times of year.

There's an Eurostar leaving Naples Centrale at 11:30am, arriving in Rome's Termini at 1:15pm. Prior Eurostar leaves at 10:01am (Gallarate station), arriving at 11:55am and subsequent at 12:21pm (Gallarate), arriving at 2:15pm.

Question is which of these you may catch by taking an hydrofoil to Naples.

The Onda Verde site says that there's an hydrofoil leaving Positano at 8am, with travel time set to about 45 minutes. The next one would be at 10:30am. Problem with this info is that it appears to be from summer 1999!!!

http://www.ondaverde.it/orari_traghettii.htm

One other site doesn't list the 8am departure

http://www.campaniatrasporti.it/alilauro/aliscafo.htm

If there is indeed an hydrofoil out at 8am, your problems are over. You may catch the 10:01 Eurostar and should you be late for any reasons, you'd make it to the 11:30 one for sure. Now, if the first hydofoil out is indeed at 10:30am, I'm afraid you won't make it in time to catch the 11:30 Eurostar. Maybe you can make it to the 11:50am IC (arriving at 1:50pm). Otherwise, you'd have no option but to take the 12:21pm Eurostar out from Gallarate. If that conforms to your general plans, I think it would be the way to go. Otherwise, I'd play it by ear. Once in Positano you may check on the hydrofoils. If there's one between 8 and 9:30am, you're set. Otherwise you may always return to the bus "saga" to Salerno

Paulo

May 2nd, 2001, 08:32 AM
Paulo

Excuse me, Kimerley, for not giving due attention to the info you relay in your last message.

Can you tell me why on earth are you picking your car up in Fiumicino?

You're faced with two train trips and either two buses or an hydrofoil to get to the airport to pay more for your car (airport tax) to start your driving in the mid afternoon, having to hurry to get to Perugia ... lot's of strain, luggage handling, early waking up, etc. for what?

Is there anything I'm missing? Do yourself a very BIG favour and get your car in Sorrento. If you do, by the time you've set to pick up your car in Fiumicino you'd long be in Perugia!

The nonstop driving time from Sorrento to Perugia should read around 4 hours. Are you afraid of drivingin the vicinities of Naples? You shoudn't. It's really a piece of cake. Some 25km after you leave Sorrento you'll hit the Autostrada and you'll only leave it in the vicinities of Terni.

If you wish, you may even consider changing your itinerary a bit, to spend a couple of hours in Orvieto. From there it wouldn't be a big deal finding your way to Todi and Perugia. You could also deviate from the "normal" route and go through Spoleto and Foligno. You'll have plenty of time to leisurely drive from Sorrento and Perugia in 8 hours. Don't miss the opportunity to visit some enroute.

Take an early SITA bus to Sorrento (departures at 8am and 8:50am, arrivals at 8:45 and 9:40), get your car and have fun. Don't throw away 1/2 day in trains, buses and stuff ... time's too precious!

Paulo

May 2nd, 2001, 06:51 PM
Kimerley

Paulo, your wonderful. The complicated travel plans came about because so many car rental places are closed after midday on a Saturday. Only large centres are open and we need to drop the car off at Pisa.
Plus, we are 3 blondes driving in Italy!!
Have contacted my friends and we will now attempt to pick up the car from Sorrento by 10am.
I am assuming it is easy to get to Sorrento from Positano. Thanks for all your help.

May 2nd, 2001, 07:31 PM
Paulo

3 blondes driving in Italy? What a treat! Flat tires sure won't be a problem

You gals don't need to drive from Sorrento to Positano. You may pack and take the 8am bus out from Positano. Pick up the car and off you go, having all day long to slowly get to your destination. You'll see ... no stress at all and lot's of fun.

Paulo

May 3rd, 2001, 01:09 AM
Kimerley

Paulo, I can't begin to say thank you enough for your help. My 2 friends leave the finer details to me and thus risk problems! Your knowledge and effort to help is wonderful.