Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Finding *The* Hotel's Actual Website Among 2000 Google Hits [Italy]?

Feb 10th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Is there a trick? I tried this that worked on some. Say the Palace Hotel in Naples: Figuring it would start off with www.palace, I used that plus Napoli. Which worked but the site was useless .
Or is there a website that lists Italy hotels (esp Naples) with direct contact (e-mail) info.
Regards, Walter
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:06 PM

You can try searching with just "palace naples" and whatever you do, leave out the word 'hotel' or you will get the gazillion nuisance websites.
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:12 PM
rex

I never assume that one exists, for starters. But I used "palace hotel naples italy" on yahoo.com and the furst hit on the list is most likely the most useful in this case:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Campania.html

It, in turn, gives one other link - - http://www.wguides.com/city/42/32_55390.cfm - - so at least, you have a fax number. Send them a quick fax and ask if they have any additional info on a website - - or failing that, ask them to send you (snail mail) a brochure. I find the response to such a request to be quite telling, as to what kind of service they might offer.

The Yahoo search also listed this lead: http://www.italyhotelink.com/italy/c...li/palacehotel - - which does detail rates, and appears to offer booking possibilities like venere.com

Last of all, typically, on a difficult Internet search, I recommend trying the country-specific Yahoo site - - in other words, http://it.yahoo.com - - this turned out to be only vaguely useful in a kind of (negatively) confirmatory way. The website http://www.artemotore.com/alberghi/napoli.htm popped up, and it lists the Palace hotel under "Alberghi non presnti", with no link provided. I am betting that they may not have one.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Sometimes, if you type in the hotel's name and then hit "I feel lucky" you actually get lucky, and get the hotel's own web site. Try both English and the local language.
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:31 PM

I thought that hitting the "I feel Lucky" button will simply link you directly with the first hit on the regular Google list. If that wasn't a direct website, it won't get the website. In other words, if you click the regular "Search" button the fitst hit you find is Trip Advisor. If you hit "I feel Lucky" it will simply open up that same Trip Advisor site. Am I wrong?
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:55 PM

Alas, there is no sure method amid all those slimey reservation sites that clog up the internet and serve no real purpose.

One trick though. On Google, limit you search to domains that end in .it. That works for small places, which usually don't end in .com.
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:40 PM
cmt

If you know the EXACT name of the hotel, simply enter that exact name, e.g., "Palace Hotel" or "Albergo Vesuvio Palace," putting the muli-word name in quotes. If you get a bunch of hotels with the same name in too many other cities, then put the exact name in quotes and add Naples, but don't put quotes around Naples. If you can read Italian, do the same as above, but Napoli instead of Naples.
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:57 PM

The truth is, url placement on Google for businesses in Italy costs a fortune. The higher you are on the list, the more you paid. Italian small-business owners are furious with this set-up. This is the sole reason you must dig deep, unless one doesn't exist.
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:04 PM

This isn't exactly an answer to your question, but one of my favourite sites for researching hotels is www.thisistravel.co.uk

There's a link about half-way down the left hand side of the home page to "accomodation reviews" & this will take you to an extensive drop-down menu of countries & cities. Once you've chosen where you're looking for, you will be presented with independent hotel reviews (which aren't afraid to be critical). In addition,you will also find direct links to the hotel's own website and/or e-mail address.

Hope this helps,

Jim
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:19 PM

Walter, as much help as you have given me and others, I sure hope I can help you out for a change!

This has always been a pain, but lately when I type in the hotel name in the search box, I add website and have come up with it several times.

EG: The Cranley Hotel Website

(not that I can afford that one, but I can dream!)

Try that and hopefully it will work for you.

Carol
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:37 PM

ttt
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:17 PM

My first tip (mentioned above) is that they don't always exist, particularly (it seems to me) in Italy.

Like the others, I use the advanced features of google to try to find it (searching with "site:.it", for example), along with napoli vs. naples and the hotel name in quotes.

Using the search:

"palace hotel" napoli site:.it

I found it on the second page of results.

http://www.palace-hotel.net/

Granted, it doesn't seem to load on my computer, but the link that had the website also had an e-mail address:

[email protected]

If, one one of the sites that lists many hotels, you can find a street name, that can also help.

When the above doesn't work, I look at the results I get and see which words are pulling up the wrong sites. Right away, for example, I noticed that there is a Palace Hotel in Sorrento, so I would have added "-Sorrento" to my search, along with -Firenze. (Most of the websites that list lots of hotels will have other cities and other hotel names, so by blocking out the most popular ones, you can have better luck).
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:46 AM

Walter - If you know the name of the hotel and can read Italian, the best short-cut IMO is the Yellow Pages.
http://www.paginegialle.it/index.html

Under 'Cosa' enter the hotel name.
Under 'Dove' enter the city.

If the hotel has it's own website, click on 'WWW'.

[You can also click on the 'Mappa Interattiva' on the right to find its location].

It doesn't work for the Palace hotel at present as it's currently under renovation

For a general search, I usually go to the city Tourist Office website for a hotel listings. Any with websites usually have links.

Here's the one for Naples:
http://www.inaples.it/home.asp

The 'hotels' page lets you search by star category.

The Palace comes up under 3 stars.
(The Italian page for the Palace says it's under renovation - which presumably explains why the homepage won't load and the Yellow Pages search didn't find a phone number and link.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Feb 11th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Steve - I used that yellow pages link you posted the other day to find some hotels with websites in some smaller towns where I was having almost no luck otherwise. That site is wonderful! Thank you for posting it.
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:58 AM
ira

Hi PL,

If you have an address that helps limit the number of hits.
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:16 AM

You said especially Naples, but if you also want Rome, go to www.travel.it That website will take you to tons of websites of hotels. But that's only in Rome.
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone all good info. I was just getting so frustrated with google. A couple of years ago it was fairly easy to find a hotels website...but now .
The 'Italian State Tourist Board" (ENIT) www.enit.it/default.asp?Lang=UK
is also good for hotel info. But it was better a couple of years ago when it was easier to scroll & search and more linked e-mail addresses for the hotels.
Thanks Again! Regards, Walter
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:18 PM

It seems to be a part of the Utell hotel chain. I tried for you too sorry but here is the info on the phone number. Perhaps you can phone and get the website if they have it.

tel: +39 081267044
fax: +39 081264306
address
Piazza Garibaldi, 9
Naples IT, 80142

This modern hotel is located in Piazza Garibaldi, the busiest square in the city due to the number of public transport terminals situated here. The Palace is more comfortable than most others of its category. Each room has private bathroom and it's equipped with telephone and radio; the rooms are air-conditioned, with fridge and TV available on request.