Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Finding flights (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/finding-flights-137555/)

Glenn Jan 3rd, 2003 12:38 PM

Finding flights

Help!!<BR><BR>How can I (without calling travel agent) find flights between various cities. If I go to the major sites (expedia, travelocity, etc.) and punch in a departure city and an arrival city and some dates, I mostly get &quot;Sorry no flights available&quot; But, I know there is service between those cities, just not on the days I punch in. <BR><BR>Without sitting and trying for hours (by trial and error putting in various dates), what web site will allow me to put the two cities in and then it tells me what dates the planes fly between those cities.

Carolina Jan 3rd, 2003 12:42 PM

Try travelhub. When you enter your dep city, it will automatically enter this for the return journey, but you just go to that entry and change it to the city you wish to return from. Their prices are usually very good and I often fly into one city and out of another with them.

Glenn Jan 3rd, 2003 12:54 PM

Carolina, thanks for your message, but I must not have made my question clear. I was not looking for the &quot;open jaw&quot; type that you commented on. I just need a way (not trial and error) to find out what dates planes fly between two cities.

Carolina Jan 3rd, 2003 01:15 PM

Do you know which airlines you are talking about?<BR>Which cities are you interested in?<BR>If you know the airline(s) you could check their websites. They usually have a schedule page.<BR>If you don't know the airline, then look at the airport webpage, again they have schedules.

Rex Jan 3rd, 2003 01:27 PM

I have never experienced the kind of response you are describing, when I use &quot;my dates are flexible&quot;.<BR><BR>But maybe the problem is between two cities, both in Europe? I still believe that travelocity or expedia will generally answer your questions if you leave the dates flexible. But it might help to try using www.opodo.com or www.europebyair.com for intra-Europe destinations.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Kevin Mathews Jan 3rd, 2003 01:37 PM

Glenn, the best way to price open-jaw tickets (on any airline...not just the ones on Travelocity, etc.), is to price the round trip price to each city and then average the two prices.<BR><BR>This is *not* exact, but it can give you a good ballpark.<BR><BR>Kevin<BR>

topping Jan 3rd, 2003 06:44 PM

up to the top<BR>

Glenn Jan 4th, 2003 09:29 AM

Kevin, I appreciate your efforts, but what is going on here. Carolina told me about open jaw; I told her I was not looking for open jaw; and then you tell me about open jaw again. WOW

William Jan 4th, 2003 10:32 AM

What dates are you using? I often get that response when the dates I put in are too far in the future. They don't seem to post their flights until a few months before the flight date, possibly because they want the flexibility to change.<BR><BR>I found some of the discount airlines, such as Ryan air, seem to post their flights in a convenient format. i.e., this flight goes everyday but Sunday, etc.

xxx Jan 4th, 2003 11:38 AM

If you are including in your parameters only direct, non-stop flights for the cities that you are interested in pairing together, there is the possibility that you might be not pulling up any flights. For example, let say you wanted to fly from Boston to Munich, there are not any non-stop flights between the two cities, you would either have to fly from Boston to New York to Munich, Boston to London to Munich, Boston to Frankfurt to Munich, etc. So, check your parameters.<BR><BR>Otherwise you can use Travelocity and Expedia and select &quot;dates are flexible&quot;. If the cities that you are interested in pairing together are in Europe, try the site www.europebyair/com/map/default.asp#10 - this page will give you a map of Europe. Place the pointer of your mouse on a city, and you will see routings to all of the arrival cities that you can get a non-stop direct flight to. Then you can go to the booking page and put the pairings together for schedules and pricing.

Kevin Mathews Jan 4th, 2003 12:15 PM

Glenn,<BR><BR>Sorry! I missed the word *not*