Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Finding Due Torri Hotel - difficult? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/finding-due-torri-hotel-difficult-157444/)

Leslie Aug 7th, 2001 04:26 PM

Finding Due Torri Hotel - difficult?

I have booked a room at the Due Torri (after checking hundreds of posts)this Nov., but quite often it was mentioned that it was hard to find. The street name is not on any map of Rome that I can find - can anyone tell me how to get there specifically? After a long flight from Australia, I don't want to be lost immediately. That is planned for later in the trip. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

marge Aug 7th, 2001 05:10 PM

try ismap.com

Rosenatti Aug 7th, 2001 05:18 PM

It's on the teeniest of streets which is easy to find -- once you've found it the first time. Any chance you can take a taxi from the airport and let the driver do the maneuvering for you? One warning, though: You'll probably be dropped off on the corner because it's such a tight, one-way squeeze (it's a very short trot, though).

Rosenatti Aug 7th, 2001 05:19 PM

... or just ask the Due Torri to e-mail you directions. They're very sweet and accomodating.

Deb Aug 7th, 2001 05:33 PM

We are also staying there in October. You could email the hotel and ask for specific instructions. <BR> <BR>email - [email protected] <BR>website http://hotelduetorriroma.com <BR> <BR>Go to this website from richardab, it shows a couple of photos from the outside which might help you once you get there. <BR> <BR>http://www.home.earthlink.net/~richa...e/Welcome.html <BR> <BR>DFW 8/7/01

xxx Aug 7th, 2001 06:46 PM

Husband and I are staying at there 19, 20, 21 October. Anyone want to get together for some vino?

pam Aug 7th, 2001 08:24 PM

You will have no problem finding the hotel, once you've been there ONCE. <BR>I would like to suggest a wondeful limo service and driver from the airport. <BR>Ask for Giuseppi. <BR>www.limoservicerome.com <BR>Due Torri was very nice but the rooms were incredibly small. Take a card from the hotel with you in case you get lost. Many of the "locals" do NOT know where this street or hotel is. <BR>If I could get the hang of it, anyone can. I have no sense of direction at all. <BR>The rooms were quite small but it is lovely and very reasonable hotel. Very quiet for Rome. <BR>

xxx Aug 7th, 2001 08:28 PM

If we take a taxi from Termini, will the taxi driver know where it is?

xxx Aug 7th, 2001 08:43 PM

Found a map at www.mapblast.com that shows the location pretty well. Printed it out for the taxi driver.

Rosenatti Aug 7th, 2001 08:45 PM

Show your driver the address -- he might have to consult his Roma mapbook (ours did) but once he sees where it is in relation to the larger streets around it he should have no trouble. It's a great little hotel -- when we stayed there last fall, the curator of the Cleopatra exhibit (which museum was that in again? my brain is leaking) was also in residence for a month. <BR> <BR>I also think you'll enjoy the Due Torri's glamorous owner, Cinzia. She's not only a sweetheart, but the only hotelier I've met whose wardrobe seems to match her property's decor. Amazing.

Steven Bird Aug 9th, 2001 04:38 AM

No problem telling a taxi. Just get directions from tho hotel beforehand and show the driver. Dont drive if possible. Be SURE to use the official taxi's. There are a lot of scams from taxi looking cars. They are white and say radio taxi and have meters! Rooms are very small, location great.

Guest Aug 9th, 2001 09:48 AM

I stay there every year and so far every taxi driver knows where it is. <BR>I love that hotel.

CB Aug 9th, 2001 09:55 AM

I am staying at the Hotel Due Torri the end of September. How much should I expect to pay for a taxi from the airport? (We are arriving late at night.)

Surlok Aug 9th, 2001 01:20 PM

I'd use www.limoservicerome.com. It will be cheaper than a taxi, and the driver will know in advance where you're staying, and won't have any problems driving you there. <BR> <BR>I don't know how much it will cost, since late night driving is more expensive, whether by taxi or private transfer. The price will also depend on how many you are, and how much luggage you have. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Nan Aug 9th, 2001 02:29 PM

We walked up to the corner and found some parked cabs. The first cab quoted way too high, so we walked over to another cab and negotiated with him, it ended up to be about $25. for three people with luggage (and he went out of the way to show us a rest. we asked him about).

Surlok Aug 9th, 2001 02:34 PM

Nan, <BR> <BR>You were lucky, others might not be as lucky as you were, so, I'd book a transfer, just to make sure how much I'd be paying, and also, that I wouldn't have trouble finding the hotel. Some don't mind taking the risk, but I don't think this is the case. Besides, not all taxi drivers are English speaking. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Nan Aug 9th, 2001 02:34 PM

I should add we wanted him to go out of the way to show us the restaurant.

deb Aug 9th, 2001 04:53 PM

xxx --- We are arriving there on the 11th of Oct. & checking out the 14th. Sorry to miss you, have a glass of vino for me and I'll have one for you.

richardab Aug 13th, 2001 07:58 AM

I had a map from called STREETWISE, which is a laminated fold out map and it had the Due Torri's street on it. Its is also a great map for touring Rome. I photocopied a few enlarged sections of the map to put in my back pocket for when I walked at night and didn't want to carry my backpack. You may wat to photocopy an enlarged section of the map for the taxi driver. Although, I think that many of them know where this hotel is. <BR> <BR>Here are a few places where you can get this map online. I have also seen it at Barnes and Noble and Borders Stores. <BR> <BR>http://www.europe26.com/italian-cities-c.htm <BR> <BR>Amazon.com (keyword - Streetwise Rome Map) <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Thank you Deb for recommending my sight. Yes, there are also pics of the Due Torri to help!

Nan Aug 13th, 2001 09:18 AM

Surlock, Aren't transfers more expensive than taxis? <BR>I just use pidgen Italian for "airport" <BR>"how much" "luggage" "persons" "grazie" <BR>and it always seems to work with taxis <BR>on the street. <BR>