Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Finding a flight from Venice to Nice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/finding-a-flight-from-venice-to-nice-303463/)

DawnRainbows Apr 3rd, 2003 10:14 AM

Finding a flight from Venice to Nice

Hello - <BR><BR>I am looking for a cheap flight from Venice to Nice. I have tried the typical sites: europebyair.com, opodo.com. Both of these sites state that there are no tickets for this route. I have also tried Air Littoral, but they are for some reason charging almost 400 Euro per ticket, which is quite a bit for a one way ticket. I plan on calling them tomorrow to make sure that I am receiving the correct rate from the website.<BR><BR>In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer a direct flight, but I understand that I may be forced to connect. I would like to pay 200 Euro or less per ticket. <BR><BR>I am flying on September 14th sometime between 9 AM and 1 PM.<BR><BR>Thanks

Andre Apr 3rd, 2003 10:22 AM

DawnRainbows,<BR><BR>Try booking a roundtrip ticket (with a Saturday night between flights) on the Air Littoral site. That should bring the fare down. You can just throw out the unused return portion.<BR><BR>The call centre agent at the airline will not suggest this as it violates airline policy (but that's not your problem ;-))<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Weadles Apr 3rd, 2003 11:28 AM

I'd just like to give a word of warning about booking roundtrip air with no intention of taking one half of the trip. I've been advised that some airline companies will go ahead and charge your credit card at least for the unused portion, and sometimes for the higher one-way fare excursion rate, so be careful!

Andre Apr 3rd, 2003 12:15 PM

Weadles,<BR><BR>I have yet to experience anything remotely similar in Europe - and I work in the travel business in Switzerland. <BR><BR>Some US airlines penalize travel agents which issue a large number of such tickets, but not one airline has gone after the passengers themselves, although some do refuse to award FF miles if they suspect &quot;foul play&quot; (who cares??).<BR><BR>At one point Eurostar sent threatening letters to passengers who had booked cheap roundtrips for one way travel, but it backed down after realizing it didn't have a legal leg to stand on.<BR><BR>Andre

ben_haines_london Apr 3rd, 2003 01:13 PM

You can take a berth in a sleeper on 13 September at 2243 and reach Nice on 14 September at 0905. The fare is about 150 euro for a 3-berth, single sex, sleeper berth.<BR><BR>[email protected]

mclaurie Apr 3rd, 2003 01:50 PM

Dawn,<BR><BR>It's really amazing. I tried doing some checking for you. That 400euro tkt becomes 339 or something similar if it's roundtrip. On ebookers.com (no one-ways on the website) I tried roundtrip &amp; got a price of 192e +tax for total 245e on Alitalia &amp; Air France (not sure if either are direct). Air Littoril was more.<BR><BR>You can do it on Easy Jet for less than 100e but have to fly to London (Stanstead) &amp; have a 5 hr layover <BR>vce/stanstead 11:15-12:25 for 73.50e then stantead/nce 5:40-8:50pm 16.50e!<BR><BR>There may be an Easy Jet Volare combo but not sure they use the same airports.<BR>Don't know if a train/plane combo makes sense. Maybe train from Vce to Milan?

Weadles Apr 3rd, 2003 02:10 PM

Thanks, Andre. My mistake. It seems that if you book through the travel agent, they may get socked for the unused portion of the roundtrip ticket, then try to pass that on to their customers. Sorry for the misinformation, everybody!

maryk Apr 3rd, 2003 10:33 PM

I checked www.amadeus.com and they show a code share Air littoral/ Air One flight going direct - so Air One may offer you a better deal. Other flights are Alitalia via Rome at 11 am, Air France via Lyon at 6pm and Air Dolomati via Munich.

DawnRainbows Apr 16th, 2003 12:02 PM

I wanted to thank all of you for your advice. In the end I bought a round trip ticket on Air Littoral (the only provider of direct non-stop flights from Venice to Nice) through the Lufthansa website for $300. Of course, I will only be using the first half of the roundtrip tickets, but this little deception saved me about $100. While I could have booked an Air France or Alitalia flight for a about $40 less, in the end the direct flight was worth the little bit extra.<BR><BR>Thanks again!

Andre Apr 20th, 2003 02:22 AM

Dawn,<BR><BR>Glad to have helped a little. I sure hope Air Littoral makes their pricing a bit more rational in the future - I think that they're the only French airline besides Air France clinging to such an aircane fare structure.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!<BR>Andre