Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

finding a Doctor in Florence in case of illness

Sep 30th, 2001, 09:28 PM
stephanie

We will be in Florence for a month with our teenage daughter and I would like to be prepared in case of illness..can anyone suggest a method of finding english speaking doctors there?

Sep 30th, 2001, 09:51 PM
Linda

Your hotel should be able to help in the event you need it.

Oct 1st, 2001, 04:01 AM
cristina

Check http://www.intoitaly.com (or it could be .it). This is the English Yellow Pages and has listing of English speaking professionals. Otherwise as someone else mentioned, your hotel should be able to help.

Oct 1st, 2001, 06:59 AM
robin-k

I've never had to use this service, however have this tidbit stashed away just in case. Probably got this from one of my newsletters.
\\\\ If your hotel concierge
doesn't have a suggestion -- or you don't have a concierge -- call the International Association for
Medical Assistance to Travelers at 716-754-4883 and you'll reach doctors who are on call 24 hours a day.
You can find these medics in North America or Europe. The doctors take most major credit cards.

Oct 1st, 2001, 07:00 AM
Marj

Probably most doctors speak at least some english. So many people there in general do. As Linda already said, check with your hotel. You probably also can walk in any hospital. I did this once years ago in Rome. My friend fell and cut her hand badly. We asked a policeman where the nearest hospital was and went there. They took care of her right away and didn't even charge her anything.

Oct 1st, 2001, 10:22 AM
micia

You should have no problem finding a doctor that speaks english in Florence.
Almost everyone there does.
Your hotel would be a good option in the case of an emergency they can always call the doctor on duty.
If you want to have a doctors number always on hand, you can also call the American consulate there in Florence and ask them which doctors speak english.
They most always have the names of the best doctors.

Oct 1st, 2001, 01:13 PM
janice

Trust your hotel. When I was DEADLY ill in Venice last year, the hotel was more than eager to find me a doctor (at 1 a.m.). She was wonderful, made a housecall, spoke English, gave me an injection and wrote prescriptions - all for 50,000 lira. (less than $25) Much better health care that I would ever get in the US. Hotels anticipate this sort of problem and are generally well equipped to help you.

Oct 1st, 2001, 01:24 PM
Book Chick

Dr. Stephen Kerr, British, educated in London, married to a lovely Florentine woman. Check out his site at:

http://www.dr-kerr.com

He accurately diagnosed my uncle's ulcer & gave him enough medication to make it through the remainder of their vacation without pain.
Healthy Travels,
BC

Oct 1st, 2001, 03:55 PM
wow

Is there any reason why your daughter would need medical attention? If I were you, I wouldn't go; seems that you're way too anxious ---

Oct 1st, 2001, 05:52 PM
BillJ

Stephanie, Look for the Green Cross.
Here's a tidbit I learned from a frequent Italian traveler. For "not so serious" stuff, or maybe when it is serious also, drop into a pharmacia. They can be found by the large green cross hanging over their door, and they seem to be everywhere. The Italian pharmacia seems to be the equivalent of a US walk in clinic for aches, pains, cuts and abrasions, and many other ailments. Many products are available over the counter that would need a prescription here in USA. During our last trip, I stopped in twice, once in Florence, and once in Vietre su Mar. English spoken in Florence, not so in Vietre, but with some sign language, we finally got the job done. In both cases, checking with my MD when I returned, he confirmed that I got the treatment he would have prescribed, even better in one case.
In Vietre, I had to wait while the Pharmacist administered first aid to an ugly scrape on the arm of a construction worker who had walked in. She cleaned and dressed it like a pro. Well, of course, she was! I have told all my friends about the friendly Green Cross. Don't be afraid to try it.