Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

FINALLY packing! Weather questions for anyone currently in Switzerland, Germany (Rhine or Bavaria), or Austria

FINALLY packing! Weather questions for anyone currently in Switzerland, Germany (Rhine or Bavaria), or Austria

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 05:32 AM
traveler

We'll be on the plane in less than 48 hours (YES!!!!!!!!!), and packing today. I've watched the website www.weather.com every day for 6 weeks, and have yet to see a single "sun" in the 10-day outlook for Zurich, Strasbourg, Salzburg, or Innsbruck. However, I have heard on this board that you have had *some* sunshine! Now, it's packing time, and I'd rather hear firsthand from you who are there...it looks like temps in the 50's and 60's (15-20C), and partial sunshine for the week ahead? Is that consistent with what you're experiencing and hearing first hand in your countries? We're packing simply...spring jacket, pants, shirt with cardigan sweaters layered over, etc. Sound okay?! Thanks so much! I could never have planned this trip without resources like this board!

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Ursula

Hi traveler! Yes, in Switzerland we have had the worst March weatherwise since 1860 or so! And April is not that much better so far. Right now, it's pouring and rather cool! The forecast for the end of this week however is SLIGHTLY better. We all do hope for a nice Easter weekend.

Good packing and nice trip to you!

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 05:44 AM
zurich

I live in Zurich - bring an umbrella - more convenient and they are not too cheap here. (like most things) A spring coat and a few sweaters and buttons downs with trousers will do the job. You'll have a great time even if the weather doesn't cooperate. Good luck!

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 05:50 AM
Ursula

Zurich hi! Do we really have a great time too?? I am ready for a sunny island
not you?

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Florence

Looking for a direct flight to anywhere sunny from Geneva too ...

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 06:20 AM
Phil

Hello traveler:

Try to grow webs between your toes: March hasn't been so wet in Switzerland since collection of weather data started in 1864.

There is a slight chance of sunny weather on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, but we're not too optimistic about it. Right mow (4:25 pm) it's raining at Basel, outside temperature at 62 F.

Bring along your umbrella and woollies.

"enjoy your trip" )

Phil

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 07:19 AM
traveler

Thanks, but this doesn't sound very optimistic! I think I'll bring along several umbrellas, and that will chase the rain away. It never rains if you DO come prepared, does it?! Anyway, we still can't wait to get there! We arrive in Switzerland early Thursday, then travel around a bit (Germany, Austria), and spend our last four days again in Switzerland. Maybe the sun will shine by then?!

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Chris

Thursday and Friday forecast look better, a bit on the cool side North of the alps.
Here is the Swiss weather forecast site:

http://www.sma.ch/de/wetter/aktuell/mittelfrist.shtml

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Scott

I am flying into Zurich on the 24th (cheap tix). Is the weather normally still cool and rainy.

If so, I was thinking about just heading straight south to Ticino area or even nothern Italy.

Any suggestions?

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 11:24 AM

Here's the response I got when I posed the weather question this morning to an innkeeper near Neuschwanstein..."Do you want me to be honest? Even in late April we sometimes have snow! Here in the mountains everything is possible- snow in summer and green grass in winter - slightly exaggerated! You will be on the better side packing also a warm pullover! I don't want to scare you, but it really can be cold in late April. We have known wonderful warm summerdays end of April, but cold and chilly days also! It won't be icy - but snow is possible.

Hopefully for you (and us also - we are tired of the winter) the weather turns out to be nice and sunny in late April!"

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Ursula

We have to be good girls and good boys -
and then, well maybe, the Easter Bunny will have mercy on us and let the sunshine out!

PS: If not, I join Florence and we go to a warm and sunny place - any suggestions please?

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 11:48 AM

miami is cooking...blue skies everywhere

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Ursula

.. well, Miami seen that, done that not too keen about. Anything else?

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Scott

Does anyone know if the Ticino area has noticably different weather from the rest of Switzerland? Or should I just head on down to Italy?

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 09:47 PM
chris

Ticino has a very different climate and culture to the rest of Switzerland. Many Swiss go there for the weekend when the weather North of the Alps gets to be too much. When you emerge on the south side of the Gotthard Tunnel you will see you have definitely crossed the Alps-very Mediterrenean.

In fact I make a few trips down to the Lakes every year.

Old Apr 10th, 2001, 12:03 AM
Ursula

Generally spoken, the Ticino is spoiled with nicer weather than the north of Switzerland. However, for Easter it does not look terrific either. Bad expectations for all staying for hours in the traffic jams heading for the south over Easter!