Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Finally our trip to the UK is near. Any last minute suggestions?

May 2nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

LONDON ITINERY - Base2Stay
1nd JUNE Earls Court (Day 1) (Bus 74 & Tube Piccadilly& District)
HEATHROW – Land in Heathrow 15.30 Get through customs and to the tube (Piccadilly Line)
Pick up a phone card!
1 hour to EARLS COURT KENSINGTON
Exit via Earls Court Road. Cross at pedestrian crossing to Bakers Oven. Left at Post Office (Earls Court Gardens) after 200 yards turn right 50 yards up on the right Base2Stay.
2nd JUNE (DAY 2)
WESTMINSTER ABBEY 9.30 – 14.35 (10 POUNDS) (Tubes District, Circle or Jubilee)
TOWER OF LONDON 10.00 – 17.00 (16 POUNDS) Bus Bus routes: 15, 42,78,100, RV Tube Circle or District to Tower Hill Station.
LONDON EYE – 10.00 – 20.00 ($35.00)
3rd JUNE (DAY 3)
HAMPTON COURT – LONDON WALKS (18 POUNDS/HP) MAY HAVE TO SWAP DAY 2 & 3 AROUND? Telephone 44 (020) 7624 3978
(HAMPTON COURT PALACE – If travel on our own East Molesey Surrey KT8 9AU Tel: +44 (0) 870 752 7777 Opening Times 10.00 – 17.00
Tube (District Line) from Bayswater to Wimbledon and then a connecting train to Hampton Court.)

4th JUNE (DAY 4)
ST PAULS CATHEDRAL - 8.30 – 15.30 ( 9.50 POUNDS/HP) St Pauls station.( Orange)
St Olave’s (Samual Pepys)
Globe Theatre - 09.00-12.00
See a show at the Globe??
5th JUNE (DAY 5)
Leeds Castle, Canterbury Cathedral – LONDON WALKS (39.00 POUNDS/HP Admiss only) Telephone 44 (020) 7624 3978
6 th JUNE (DAY 6)
Evan Evans tour to Hever Castle,Royal Tunbridge Wells & Penshurst Place under £60????
Cambridge/Oxford London Walks???

7TH JUNE London – Salisbury (1st night)-Salisbury Apartments
Winchester – Cathedral, Castle, Wolvesey Palace & Warfe St/St Peter’s Cheesehill ????
Lunch(?)
Salisbury Accommodation & look around.
8th JUNE Stonehenge, Old Sarum and Salisbury Cathedral (2nd night)

9th JUNE Wilton House, Glastonbury and Wells Cathedral (3rd night)

10th JUNE Salisbury - Symond Yat (4th night)-Watson’s Cottage
Bath – Roman Baths, Chepstow Castle, Tintern Abbey, into accommodation
11th JUNE Cardiff Castle, Castell Coch, Caerphilly Castle and Raglan Castle (5th night)
12th JUNE Ludlow & Hereford – Cathedral (6th night)

13th JUNE Symond Yat – Bakewell (7th night)-The Haven
Symon Yat – Warwick Castle, Stratford Upon Avon – Shakespeares House, Old School House, Halls Croft, Anne Hathaways Cottage into accommodation
14th JUNE Chatsworth, Hardwick Hall (Old & New), Bolsover Castle? (8th night)
15th JUNE Heights of Abraham – Cable Car, Caves, Derby Cathedral – Bess’s monuments (9th night)

16th JUNE Bakewell – Edinburgh (10th night)-Southside Guest House
Via Carlisle, Birdsoswald, Vindolanda, Housesteads, Jedburgh,Melrose
17th JUNE Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood House & Night tour of Mary Kings Close (11th night)
18th JUNE Tour?? Includes Stirling Castle, Tossachs (12th night)

19th JUNE Edinburgh – Alnwick (13th night)-Redfoot Lea
Rosslyn Chapel, Berwick On Tweed?, Bamburgh Castle & Alnwick Castle
20th JUNE Durham Castle, Durham Cathedral (14thnight)

21st JUNE Alnwick – York (15th night)-Welburn lodge
Castle Howard
22nd JUNE York Cathedral, Shambles, Jorvik (16th night)
23rd JUNE York – Windsor (17th night)-Langton House
Blenheim Palace
24th JUNE Windsor Castle

25th JUNE FLY HOME - Airport By 9.00 A.M (12.00 Flight)
We will be flying from Australia into Singapore(The York) for a stopover and we will be flying back into Singapore for another stopover before going home to Melbourne. Some days seem to be big but they are options and we may not necessarily go to all. We want to have fun not wear ourselves out!
May 2nd, 2008, 08:58 PM

I'll bein London myself in June, and I have reservations for base2stay as well. I haven't been there before, but the hotel has good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Do try to get tickets for the Globe. You can buy tickets from seetickets, and the link is on the Globe's website. There is a better seating diagram for the theatre on the Londontown website. You might try to wander through Southwark Cathedral as well, which is also in the neighborhood.

Have a lovely time....
May 3rd, 2008, 12:29 AM

(Currently at LHR awaiting a flight to the Euro zone and Scandinavia to boot...)

Bring money.
May 3rd, 2008, 03:47 AM

Winchester – Cathedral, Castle, Wolvesey Palace & Warfe St/St Peter’s Cheesehill ????

The cathedral's great. There is next to nothing left of the castle - just some curtain walls - and if you've seen one medieval wall you've seen them all.

St peter's is just a parish church - and nothing special. If you want to see an interesting church - go to the one on top of kingsgate (near the cathedral).

The museum in the Westgate is good (and you can go and see King Arthur's Round Table in the Great Hall nearbye.) and the town museum is also well worth a look.
May 3rd, 2008, 04:03 AM

Cor what a lot.

Salisbury: The cathedral makes a wonderful picture from the South. I think the best think is to get up very early go South of the river and try an photo it with little of the modern city included.

If you have never seen a pre-roman fort then you might go to Old Sarum (has been knocked about a bit) but it shows you what tribes got up to before Christ. Salisbury also has giants and Arthur's table. Worth 5 mins if passing.

York, don't try to use a car in town. The centre is a wonderful walking centre especially in the evening after the crush has eased off. Railway museum is free and worth time
May 3rd, 2008, 04:14 AM

A bit of a ditto to bilboburgler .. you could likely poop yourselves completely (just did it myself on a week’s visit to Scotland .. no down time).

Perhaps prioritize all your planned stops and then every 3-4 days when you realize how exhausted you are you’ll be ready to just do nothing more strenuous than people watch from a seat at a table or window shop.
May 3rd, 2008, 06:54 AM

some of your days are very likely to fall apart due to weather, traffic, whatever, and your stop overs are so far apart that any little glitch could be a big problem.

Lots to suggest - but it is probably too late to make any major changes. But one day really stands out:

>>16th JUNE Bakewell to Edinburgh via Carlisle, Birdsoswald, Vindolanda, Housesteads, Jedburgh, Melrose.<<

Just not doable. Housesteads alone takes more than an hour - it is not possible to just park the car and have a quick look. The car park is at least a 10 minute walk from the site and the site is HUGE. Vindolanda is also very large - and will take at least an hour. Birdoswald is smaller but w/ the museum and all - yep - another hour. So just the Hadrian's wall sites including driving between them and having a meal will easily take up a minimum of 5 hours.

The drive up from Bakewell to Haltwhistle is nearly 200 miles and will easily take 3.5-4 hours.

Haltwhistle to Edinburgh through Jedburgh/Melrose is about 130 miles and another 3.5hours w/o stops.

So you have close to 12 hours not including any stops at the Abbeys. Jedburgh and Melrose Abbeys alone are at least 1 hour visits - and Dryburgh Abbey (in some ways the best of the bunch - though I definitely would not skip Jedburgh/Melrose). Plus in Jedburgh is the interesting Mary Queen of Scots House.

So your "Bakewell - Edinburgh" itinerary would be a VERY full two days, and is really three days worth.

May 3rd, 2008, 07:55 AM

You can purchase your Tower of London tickets online at a discount from their website. They were mailed to us in the US and arrived in three days from the time we ordered them.
May 4th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyones imput and yes it looks big but as I said at the end some things are just listed if we do have to adjust anything.

I am very concerned about the Bakewell - Edinburgh part. I knew it was a big trip but seems we may have over reached this time.
If you could suggest something that would be great.
I just went at that route based on previous posts. I think I put too much wall in! But if there is only one stop at the wall which would you suggest?

Author: janisj
Date: 11/16/2007, 07:09 pm
definitely - as long as you are going through Alnwick latere on anyway. When is the new trip planned? Might make a difference.
But in general - detouring from Carlisle to the east to see a bit of the Wall and then back up through the Borders would be a great addition. I'd use the A7 to travel to the Borders and then A68 on to Edinburgh. Or, if you went farther east along the wall, you could take the A68 all the way from Northumberland.

The Lakes are wonderful of course - but me personally, Hadrian's Wall and the Borders would be my choice

If you had 3 days to devote to the Lakes I might choose that instead, but just to drive through in a day - I'd prefer exploring the wall.

Appreciate your suggestions

thankyou Deb
May 4th, 2008, 05:56 AM

I vote for the wall as well
May 4th, 2008, 06:01 AM

poop yourself!!!???

That must mean something different in America than here
May 4th, 2008, 07:01 AM

My earlier post and what you came up w/ are sort of on the same wave length - except "a bit of the Wall . . . . and up through the Borders" is a little different than visiting 3 different major Roman forts and 2 or 3 major Border Abeys,

You can see the Wall all along the B6318 since it runs right next to it in most places. Lots of places you can just get out of the car and take photos or walk on a bit of the Wall. Then Vindolanda is probably the best choice for a single visit since it is more accessible and can be done quicker than Housesteads.

From there jog over to the A68 and head north. Jedburgh is right on the A68 and Melrose is about a 3 miles detour. Either would be a good stop - Jedburgh is fascinating though I personally think Melrose is prettier.

So to make it work - Bakewell to Carlisle and across on the B6318 to see some Wall. Stop for 45 mins to an hour at Vindolanda. Up the A68 seeing lots of Border scenery and stopping at Jedburgh or Melrose (both if you have time). Then up to Edinburgh. That is a doable plan.

Also keep in mind that Jedburgh closes at 5:30 and Melrose closes at 6:30 so that may give you a better idea about timing things.
May 4th, 2008, 09:19 AM

lol, sheila, I was using an expression from childhood. Never thought how it could also be used!

When we'd come in from playing, all red in the face, it wasn't unusual for parents or grandparents to comment that we looked pooped, or must feel pooped.

Where's a grammarian? There's a term for that sort of use, isn't there. It's not using the word as an action, but descriptive.

Yes, the word has a noun use, and an Active verb use! The way it was used for how we felt must mean being empty of all energy versus empty of .. ah, .. the noun use

I'm checking a dictionary on this ... well, it's also got some ship references (the poop deck) .. and also the informal uses meaning exhausted or to poop out is to stop functioning.

Actually, other than the ship references, it looks like all the uses are "informal" language. A lovely, little, silly word. Apologies for any confusion, lol. Cheers!

May 4th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks again. I will have another look at your suggestion Janis, I didn't realise that some of these forts took a bit to get around.

By the way I am an Aussie but I took to POOP yourself in the right way although to say it in that way over here would also raise eyebrows.

I have no doubt if I am not careful I will poop myself but especially the other half lol.

thanks thanks thanks Deb
May 4th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Wow, deb - I admire your stamina! I am just a woos, I guess.

Anyway, I think it's good that you planned the way you did. Overall, some days look too busy but I do see your point that if something doesn't work out, you have something else planned.

Just a hint on Windsor Castle day. We spent about 4 hours there and did not see it all, but it didn't matter to us. maybe you should have a backup for that day as well.
May 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi there

I don't know that we will have much left in the tank by the time we hit Windsor and you right should have a back up for that.

I gota bit over annal about it as my husband is coming with me this time and I want him to have as much fun as I did last time. I was on a tour in 2004 but spent 4 days on my own in London and I did an itinery for that which I was very grateful as it worked a gem. Being by myself was abit scary. I know I cannot possibly cover everything but I didn't want to have any regrets. If my husband has a good time it will be easier to convince him to do more.

I love the UK and its history, Australia is far to young. My grandfather actually comes from Winchester. I am yapping too much sorry. But if it wasn't for alot of people on this site I would not have been able to do it.

Deb
May 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM

When crossing the road remember to look the other way.
May 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM

xxx30: The OP is from OZ -- they already "look the other way"
May 5th, 2008, 02:18 AM

My grandfather actually comes from Winchester. >>>

As do two regular posters.

Watch out - we're surrounding you.
May 5th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Some of you are very entertaining. And I notice people seem to be taken initially as coming from America. Good thing I say that we travel in the same direction as I reakon we would be in big trouble!

lol