Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Finally ! Ireland! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/finally-ireland-561220/)

Betsyp Sep 27th, 2005 03:40 PM

Finally ! Ireland!

I can't believe it, but after all the planning, it's finally time for me to head off (tomorrow night) to the Emerald Isle. When I first started planning this trip, it seemed like a fantasy, but oh boy, it's real.

Thank you all for your help, and I will post a report as soon as I return. Being completely obsessive/compulsive (thereby naturally feeling as if I have to pack every item I might ever need) makes it hard to pack light, but I've done my darndest. I also find myself checking the weather reports constantly - looks like it's going to be windy and rainy-, hoping I'm still able to live my dream and gallop my horse on the beach (Dingle). I have to keep telling myself not to panic about so/so or nasty weather - that I'll adjust and do just fine.

I will not let merchants charge me in $$ rather than Euros and I will just enjoy what is supposed to be a spectacularly beautiful country. This is going to be the trip of a lifetime.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Budman Sep 27th, 2005 04:18 PM

Enjoy!!! Looking forward to hearing about your great trip. Look out for the DCC. I got stung last year. ((b))

Betsyp Sep 27th, 2005 06:28 PM

Hey Budman

Sorry about your experience with DCC last year- what a scam. Until I started researching my trip on this board, I'd never even heard of it. Thanks to you and everyone else on this board who pointed that out, I'll be travelling fully informed.

I'm kind of sad about not having a trip to plan, but at least my efforts will be rewarded. I feel like planning a trip myself (and not relying on a tour or travel agent) actually makes the trip that much better.

FYI to all - sorry for the double post. The server was giving me problems and I just posted this topic again, not realizing that this first post of mine went through.

oopsy Sep 27th, 2005 06:37 PM

Have a wonderful trip!! I've only been once (number two is in May), but I remember it being beautiful and wonderful in rain and sunshine (and sometimes both).

Shadow Sep 27th, 2005 10:49 PM

Yes, have a wonderful trip and hopefully you'll be a part of the "I love Ireland" group we have here...
Please let us know ALL about it when you get back...I leave on Oct. 16th.....
Eat lots of brown bread, eat Magnum Ice Cream bars (vanilla ice cream with White chocolate coating-yum!)and lots of Digestive Biscuits (with chocolate on one side).
(but leave some for me!!!)
Shadow

Betsyp Sep 28th, 2005 05:21 AM

Thanks, Oopsy and Shadow!

I'm just so thrilled to be going that I don't care if it snows!

I'm not quite sure what brown bread is (is it made with molasses?), but I love bread, so I can assure you that I will be eating lots of it.....the Magnum bars sound yummy (except for the white chocolate part) and I get a kick out of calling cookies "digestive biscuits". LOL Shadow, I will try to leave some over for you, but I can't promise anything. I'd eat my luggage if hungry!

Poohgirl Sep 28th, 2005 09:49 AM

Have a great trip, Betsy. I just got back from Ireland a week and a half ago, and it was great. You'll love it! And who says it has to be only ONCE in a lifetime trip? ;)

Curt Sep 28th, 2005 10:42 AM

Have the best lunch possible: whatever soup is available, with soda bread, and a pint of Smithwicks (pronounce it Smitticks) in any of the great little pubs. ahhhhhh

shelly59 Sep 29th, 2005 11:38 AM

What everyone else has said. I LOVE Ireland. Been there 6 times.
Please do tell all about your riding on the beach at Dingle as its a dream of mine, too and I always enjoy a vicarious experience. :-)

elaine Oct 11th, 2005 07:18 AM

betsyp posted her report here

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34690478