Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Finally cancelled my UK/Wales/Ireland Trip. So sad.

Old Apr 27th, 2020, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I waited. And I waited. But reality smacked me in the face, even though I did my best to ignore the facts.

Fact: The Falmouth Sea Shanty Festival was cancelled. That was the start of our trip
Fact: FLYBE is no more. That was our transport to Ireland from Wales.
Fact: My husband and I are "elderly"--ages 75 and almost 67. We are part of the "culling of the herd" set.
Fact: Our early June to early July itinerary was just a tad too early in the COVID cycle to predict how things will go.

I feel as though I let the troops down. And the idea we might never get to sing and drink in an Irish pub again is killer. But we certainly have put in enough time in the past, and for that, we are eternally grateful.
I'm sure our girls and their families will toast to us in the future.
AZ
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 10:31 AM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlessandraZoe View Post
. . . the idea we might never get to sing and drink in an Irish pub again is killer. . .
An unfortunate choice of words, and obviously not the real killer. At risk of offending, don't take it personally, trip cancellation threads are simply tedious at this point. NONE of us are traveling, EVERYONE who planned a trip in the forseeable future is cancelling. So what? Oops, real life, even for we lucky people who'd forgotten what that could be. Killer.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

As you know, MmePerdu, no one can force you to read tedious threads with the word "cancelled" in the title.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 12:54 PM

^^^"But we certainly have put in enough time in the past, and for that, we are eternally grateful."

This is key and something most of us are probably thinking right now ==
I am so thankful for every trip we didn't have to cancel
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 01:16 PM

AZ, I understand your disappointment! We had to cancel a trip to France for April 2020. In fact, we were supposed to be in France right now visiting our daughter and her family, and then meeting up with friends to sightsee in Provence and the French Riviera. Obviously, you and I and everyone else who had to cancel a trip realize how lucky we are to be alive and healthy. But sometimes we just need to vent and to have someone to commiserate with.

And to people who find these kinds of posts tedious, then please don't read them, as AZ says!

To AZ, if you and your husband are healthy, you are still young enough to visit Ireland again. So don't give up!
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 01:59 PM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
If we don't read them, how will we know you've told us not to read them?
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 02:04 PM

the idea we might never get to sing and drink in an Irish pub again

Ah come on, I wouldn't be so down about it. Seems a little over dramatic. Yes everyone is cancelling trips this year. But a couple years out? Who knows, you might well be back doing this exact trip you have planned in 2022 or so.

And no I don't mind reading a new thread from every single person who is disappointed about the trip they didn't get to take and wants to talk about it (that's me from Seattle to Mexico last month, boohoo).

And stating the extremely obvious, kind of the only thing we've got to post about on a TRAVEL forum right now. Thank you.

Old Apr 27th, 2020, 03:09 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel somewhat of what you are feeling. I had planned what I knew didn't feel right a "last trip" for my mom. We had such a perfect trip to Scotland last year and thought it was calling us back. I mean after all, we got a flight voucher due to technical issues and a very small discount on a future stay at the flat we rent, I said we have to go back. Well as the planning started, things were going a stray to then have to cancel due to the virus.

My mom might not be able to go next year. Her legs are slowing her down as time goes on. I told her, we just don't know what a year will bring but the next trip will be perfect like the last one. Fact is, there might not be one for next year but I'm not saying it only we shall see.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are waiting to cancel our flights but have pulled the trigger on all reservations. I am a little worried that eurostar only gives you to March for the voucher. I am all for winter travel so will see if we get to use them.

I am waiting to see who comes out unscathed by this. KLM and AirFrance were given Gov funds today but Branson hasn't. We have a flight on Virgin and AF.
Flybe was the first to go I think.
You all will go again. We were talking about how many years left we still have for these trips. Peg is my inspiration. I think my husband needs his back surgery as he is finding walking painful.
We are 65 and 66 so know how you feel. My friends were talking yesterday and Ireland is where we all want to go with Wales for next trip. They have been hit with furloughs and are tapping out the travel funds.

I watched a travel show last night on the smugglers in Cornwall. Falmouth is beautiful. I have found Amazon prime has some great travel shows. Tony Richardson walks the coast or something. Will have to do till we get back on the road. I was so looking forward to that trip report. We watched a narrow boat show and that was like watching paint dry. Not for me.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 03:28 PM

Sassy, Don't give up. I am a speed walker but my husband is slow as molasses and he is in a lot of pain. I have had to work around it the last couple of trips. He is happy to sleep in or sit in a pub while I take off. I get up early and walk or let him sit in a church while I walk around looking at everything. I try and let him set the pace. I think you can get a folding walker or wheelchair and push her. My joke with my husband is I will push him before we stop. If it is something he really likes he pushes through. Surgery as soon as we are able to schedule and hoping this is behind us. Epidurals have not worked. He would never get a cab but now does. I get places closer to train stations now and shorter walks to eat. The hills are tough in Scotland.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 05:07 PM

Sorry itís happened to you... but yup itís happening to us all. I was due to fly out next week for seven weeks but it ainít happening. Letís hope next year will come good for us.

bummer is all we can say, and at least weíre alive to write about our cancelled trips unlike some other poor people.

We stand a chance of trying again...
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 05:21 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Schnauzer you got that right. I could use a do over in planning..

Macross I was all set to use a taxi service this time. The nice gentleman who took me to the airport said he'd pick us up anytime. I want to see if that's true.
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 01:01 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
AZ, sad for you. I agree, it’s kind of nice to commiserate together. I mean, it’s a travel forum, we love travel.
We share the highs and lows. Fingers crossed we all get to resume travel plans soon.
Unplanning threads not nearly as much fun as planning threads...

And it doesn’t diminish the real pain others are going through.

I’m so glad I had a wonderful trip with my elderly mother last year, I know we are lucky in many ways.

Cancelling our trip for June not quite completed yet, as I can’t rebook flights. Then one wonders, what are the chances of that not being realistic.

Old Apr 28th, 2020, 02:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Macross, it's Tony Robinson, ex Blackadder, for those who want to find it. He's done quite a few travel things, including train journeys round the world and of course the Time Team archaeological stuff. We've watched quite a few of them on TV here at the moment. Called Coast to Coast I think.
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rubicund View Post
Macross, it's Tony Robinson, ex Blackadder, for those who want to find it. He's done quite a few travel things, including train journeys round the world and of course the Time Team archaeological stuff. We've watched quite a few of them on TV here at the moment. Called Coast to Coast I think.
Thank you, He is very good and love the places he goes. I am exploring more of his shows now that we found him on Amazon. We have to do armchair travel now that we are all at home for a while. I will look at the Time Team show.

I just read where the EU must give refunds now.

AZ, did you have to eat the flybe flight?
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

It was nice to know that most of you feel that "pang" with the same feeling that one has been so very lucky to have had adventures. "Bittersweet" would be an apt description of our feelings.

For those of you planning "perfect" trips for yourselves or loved ones, I so feel for you. Years ago, I was planning a surprise trip to Galway for my parents when my father made a fatal medical decision. At least my mother and father never knew what they lost in that trip. My father never knew that he would have fallen in love with the first fiddle busker he encountered, and that thought alone buffered my sadness for that cancelled trip.

I assure you that my own pity party for this cancelled trip was short. I felt compelled to copy the example my daughter set when she had to cancel her early April 2020 wedding and her carefully planned, adventure-filled honeymoon*--I allotted myself only a limited time to feel bad.

Unlike her, though, I could refuse to deal with a glaring, inevitable decision until it was time to cancel or lose all funds. Unlike her, denial was darn easy for me because only my husband and I are impacted. You know, the Sea Shanty cancellation and FLYBE collapse were pretty "in our faces" early on but heck...

Cancelling itself wasn't hard, because at least actions require positive energy. When I finished the cancellations, that's when I had my "Oh crap" moment, and I came here to lament because so many of you had always been my resources in travel, and so many of you were involved in this specific trip. You guys, more than anyone, understand the lovely quote by Vivian Swift...

ďAnticipation. In love and travel, getting there is half the fun. The lustful impatience, the passionate daydreams, the nerve-wracking waiting... lovers and travelers are all alike when they find themselves on the brink of a new adventure.Ē

I have TREASURED my online life with so many of you. I am very blessed to have nearby friends who share my love of literature and my passionate belief in education, but this forum shares as much as does my immediate family of the love of "hitting the road".
I am so grateful for your guidance, your experience, and your sense of adventure. Love to all of you who have advised me.

---------------------------

*Yep, I know some of you want to know what happened to the wedding (the ones that could give a crap or could even make fun of it are pretty obvious by the posts above ).

My daughter was in a position to see how this was all going to go early on. But as she said, no matter how much SHE knew, it was just so hard to convince other people how bad it would be. Yes, she told her vendors how horrendous it would be, but they did not believe her until one day, they "got it." Heck, even I did not understand why she was doing a melt-down in February on the phone when I said I was flying to her city (not NY or Boston--there were only a few COVID cases in some outlying county in her city then) to keep a hair appointment because this sweet hairdresser would be guaranteed to do my hair right in the coming weeks for the wedding. My daughter sobbed and sobbed.

I cancelled the flight at the last minute. And just then, and only then, my husband and I finally started processing. My friend circle has reported the same lack of understanding to understanding cycle. We are old, we've "been there, done that", how bad could this really be? And you get to the place where you say, "Oh crap! This is BAD!" And then you just deal, and you do it quickly.

That evening and the next, we visited our two favorite restaurants, ones we regularly visited every darn week, bringing Clorox wipes to clean our seats,etc--yep that raised eyebrows--and told the bartenders we would be disappearing for the unforeseeable future. They were stunned, because COVID had yet to have a documented case in our city. And yes, we worry to death about these restaurant peeps. Please look up VIRTUAL TIP JARS. Most of our servers were putting themselves through college or taking care of elderly parents or are in other straits. Congress is NOT taking care of them. FOOD BANKS ARE ULTRA IMPORTANT.

My husband reported to work the next morning before dawn to pack up essentials, much to the surprise of his fellow office associates, and that has been it. I created at an-home apartment office for him in the master bedroom (good reason to always keep folding tables and chairs). We are now official hermits living in a not-at-all cramped apartment in a 20-unit apartment building with a wide age range. Thank God it's not a Senior Citizen facility, although it does lean heavily 65 and above. We had our first "foot first" exit last week, but he is still alive (barely). This crusty resident had loudly scoffed at our wiping down all shared surfaces because his "wealth advisor" told him this was all no more than the flu.

I digress. Back to the wedding...

My poor daughter had to wait to cancel her wedding until her vendors finally understood the situation and until all airlines "got it" so that her guests could get refunds or ecredits. As she said, the waiting to pull the trigger was horrendous; making the cancellations/rescheduling etc was actually a relief. Only then could she put aside her feelings until the now-cancelled/ maybe rescheduled wedding day. On her now destroyed wedding day, she and her fiance drank themselves into a stupor and binge-ate sugar and fat, finally freeing themselves of a pre-wedding diets. Now they just get on with life, and they are just lovely.

All in all, she and her fiance have been through far worse life-and-death shared experiences; our combined families have bonded tightly without a wedding because of those. And...WE ALL HAD PARIS TOGETHER!

We are indeed blessed.

With affection and so much appreciation of understanding,
AZ

Old Apr 28th, 2020, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Adelaidean View Post
AZ, sad for you. I agree, itís kind of nice to commiserate together. I mean, itís a travel forum, we love travel.
We share the highs and lows. Fingers crossed we all get to resume travel plans soon.
Unplanning threads not nearly as much fun as planning threads...

And it doesnít diminish the real pain others are going through.

Iím so glad I had a wonderful trip with my elderly mother last year, I know we are lucky in many ways.

Cancelling our trip for June not quite completed yet, as I canít rebook flights. Then one wonders, what are the chances of that not being realistic.
Yes, it helps when you have someone to commiserate with, doesnít it? We were scheduled to fly to London a week from today, and later Barcelona after 10 days, I was so looking forward to it. But of course we cancelled, luckily we have vouchers for our flights and the rest was refundable.

I believe we should count our blessings. Most of us are in good health, well able to weather this storm and wait it out. Travel awaits us in the future, next summer perhaps?

For those of you who have slowed down and find it hard to walk, I strongly urge you to consider a wheelchair. Our mom loved to travel and in later years her collapsible wheelchair was a boon. We took her on a family vacation every year and she enjoyed every moment. She passed on peacefully days after our last vacation was to Alaska in July 2019.

Old Apr 28th, 2020, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

So as Macross has asked, what are we out? In the scope of things, nothing more than what travel insurance would have cost. I only would get travel insurance when my parents were alive, because one just never knew. We've been just throwing caution to the wind for the past few years.

1) Overseas transport. Delta has given us e-credits. Delta staff has been lovely, and we think that airline will survive so we could probably use some of the credits. The actual loss is the future cost of repeating the flight--we had a sweet Business Class deal with direct routing that probably will not surface again. Done and dusted. Can't look back. Over it
2) Hotels. All refunded.
3) Apartment rental in Bristol. 795 British pounds gone. No possible refund--knew it going in.
4) Pre-booked tours. All refunded. Paid more to get refundable tours.
5) FLYBE No refunds for a belly-up company. 150 British pounds gone. Not horrendous.
6) St David's Men's Choir Concert. Probably around 70 British pounds gone. If they eventually cancel the concert, we might get some money back.

All in all, we got off lightly. We would have spent oodles of money on the ground if we had gone. In my mind, I think I still held out hope things would change, and I'd just do a workaround. When Delta had to change the routing (understandable) that would involve multiple legs, I knew it was time to pull the trigger.

Again, financial losses were all in all minimal. I feel bad for others.
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 07:31 AM

I am so sorry about your travel plans AND your daughter's wedding being cancelled. Those are two huge blows. I do hope you can reschedule both soon. This is the perfect place to come and vent and I'm sorry you've received any grief.

Old Apr 28th, 2020, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

KTtravel--Your comment was sweet and much appreciated. As to the negative posts--I immediately knew those comments said much more about the posters themselves than they ever could about me. Not taken to heart one bit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information