Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Finally booked our last hotel for our France, Germany, Denmark trip! What about this itinerary?

Finally booked our last hotel for our France, Germany, Denmark trip! What about this itinerary?

Jan 4th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Okay, we just booked our last hotel. Here's our itinerary:

Day 1: Fly from Atlanta to Paris

Day 2: arrive Paris - stay at Hotel La Bourdonnais

Day 3: Paris - see sights

Day 4: Paris - see sights

Day 5: late-morning flight to Munich; pick up rental car; drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen; stay at Gasthof Fraundorfer in Partenkirchen

Day 5: Drive to Fussen; tour castles; see Partnach Gorge

Day 6: Zugspitze, sightsee

Day 7: Drive to Munich; turn in car; stay at Marriott Munich

Day 8: Dachau Concentration Camp; museum; sightsee

Day 9: Fly to Copehagen (have to do this to get 3 tickets with frequent flier miles); arrive around 11:30 a.m.; stay at Copenhagen Marriott (with points); sightsee

Day 10: fly home to Atlanta
--------------------

Well, how does this look? I know this is a very busy trip. My husband and I are taking our 17-year-old son (sr in high school), and he's studying German, so that was what started the planning. Anything we're leaving out? Thanks!
Jan 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
ira

Hi S,

>Well, how does this look?<

Expensive and exhausting.

>...17-year-old son ...studying German, so that was what started the planning.<

With only 10 days, I suggest that you go to Germany and stay there.

Jan 4th, 2007, 12:19 PM

I have to agree with the previous poster. Concentrate on where your son is living and take advantage of him being there.

Have you ever been to Europe before? People often overdo the moving around on their first trip. Remember getting back and forth to airports (not to mention packing and unpacking) is very stressful. Then you have to go through the lines to get checked in, etc. Traveling anywhere ends up eating an entire day.

For 10 days I would do no more than 2 cities--and I would make them easy connections from each other. How about 5 days Munich and 5 days Berlin, if you want 2 cities? Or you could concentrate on one of the cities for a few days and then rent a car to see some of the countryside.

If you are locked into flying to Paris and home from Copenhagen, spend the bulk of your time in Paris and then take a train to Copenhagen and spend a few days there; the train, by the way, takes a long time (10-12 hours, I think) because the train gets put on a boat to get to Copenhagen (look at the map). I know this does not give you time in Germany, but your itinerary, quite frankly, makes no sense.

Many of us on this board, including me, have been to Europe too many times to count. You know something? I still haven't been to Munich, although I have been to Fussen. I do most of my travel through home exchanges and use the exchange house as a base for day trips within an easy drive of the house. You never see everything you set out to see, but you do see somethings you did not expect to see--and it is a heck of a lot more enjoyable than constantly rushing to airports and standing in line for flights.

It is your vacation, of course, and you are free to ignore what I have said and do your own thing. I do guarantee, however, that, if you go through with your itinerary, you will never do anything like that again--never!

Please note another thing that I have found: The ambitious plans written on your piece of paper beforehand are usually trashed upon landing as you get more and more exhausted. Moreover, as you become more and more exhausted, family members will get very grouchy. Your trip is supposed to be a vacation. To me, the word "vacation" means relaxation. The itinerary you have posted is not a vacation, but a forced march.
Jan 4th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I know it looks exhausting. We've been to Europe a couple of times (and are going again in late February before this trip) so I know it's a lot to do.

Our son isn't living in Germany. He's studying it in high school. That's the main place he wanted to go, so that's why we're doing Germany.

Because we're using frequent flier miles, we had to fly into Paris. Since we haven't been there before, we thought we'd stay there for 3 nights before moving onto Germany for 5 nights.

And we really hadn't planned on going to Copenhagen, but that was also because of frequent flier miles. There's a chance that we'll cut out that portion (we're on a waitlist to go straight from Munich to Atlanta).
Jan 4th, 2007, 01:28 PM

I, as usual, don't think it seems all that "exhausting" other than the current necessity to fly to and then out of CPH. The fact that you are flying between Paris and Munich makes it seem a lot LESS exhausting to me.

Enjoy your trip.
Jan 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM

Well, I hope you end up flying home out of Munich. That will cut out one city and make it more manageable.
Jan 4th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I just checked Delta again, and it looks like we can fly out of Munich (haven't talked to them yet, but that waitlisted flight says to contact Delta, which usually means we can do it).

Is this more manageable?

3 nights Paris
Fly to Munich, then 3 nights Garmisch, 1 night Rothenburg, 2 nights Munich. Fly home from Munich.
Jan 4th, 2007, 03:03 PM
ira

Hi S,

A lot better.

Is Garmisch that much more interesting than Munich?

It's only 1:24 hr by train.

Jan 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM

There is a CRITICAL piece of info you have left out: WHEN are you going? Weather is a critical variable to consider in any trip. I don't want to assume summer.....is it?
Jan 4th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

We're going the first week of April.

Okay, I've been on the phone with Delta and have gotten our flights changed.

I guess now the decision is whether to drive from Garmisch to Rothenburg or take the train. Ira, I'm going to check out that train schedule.
Jan 4th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and the reason we're staying in Garmisch 3 nights is because it seems like there's quite a bit there that we'd enjoy. We like being outside, enjoying nature (even though it won't be real warm); we figured that since we'll be in Paris for 3 nights and then end the trip in Munich, we'd like several nights in a smaller town.
Jan 5th, 2007, 03:59 AM
DAX

I personally dislike Garmisch, it is a base town for the Zugspitze but very much lacking in charm. I would pick Mittenwald over Garmisch anyday (one train stop away I think). I don't mean to confuse your trip planning but since you mentioned that you like the outdoor, you may want to take a look at the Salzkammergut area & Salzburg which is more attractive than the area around Garmisch. One village that comes to mind is Hallstatt. www.hallstatt.net/index.php?lang=en-iso-8859-15
Jan 5th, 2007, 04:41 AM

It looks great. Strong advice to book Paris hotels ASAP! April is a busy month in Paris; tons of fashion industry shows and expos.
Jan 5th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

We have booked our hotel for Paris. Now, one more question: We will have a car while in Garmisch, and now the plan is to go to Rothenburg for one night, and then Munich for 2 nights. Should we turn in the rental car in Garmisch and train from there? Or turn in the car in Rothenburg? Or turn in the car in Munich? And if in Munich, where -- the airport or the train station?

Thanks so much.
Jan 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM

I really do not get the fascination with Garmisch unless you plan to use it as a base for heavy duty hiking. If you are just going to use it as a base for day trips, I would give more time to Munich and do day trips out of there. Another alternative, mentioned by others, would be Salzburg.
Jan 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Well, as I mentioned in the first post above, we do plan on doing day trips out of Garmisch. We'll really be spending very little time in the town, but it seemed like a good place. I guess we'll see after we get there, and I'll be sure to write a report.
Jan 5th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Another option is to stay in Oberammergau. Either way, do not miss it! Garmish has great restaurants and it is a convenient home base, but I do agree it is not the most charming town in a region where every other town is postcard-worthy
Jan 5th, 2007, 03:21 PM
DAX

If you're heading to Munich after Rothenburg, then it makes sense to drop off the car at the train station if your hotel is close to the train station. You can use maporama.com to locate your hotel to select which drop off station is most convenient. If you rent from Sixt rental car they often are willing to pick up the car from your hotel for a 20 euro charge. It's worth the convenience & time. I would just leave it with the hotel and they took care of everything.
Jan 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

I looked at other towns, but it looks like we'll be staying in Garmisch 3 nights (or rather, right outside of Garmisch, in the Renaissance Hotel).

So Paris 3 nights, fly to Munich/drive to Garmisch 3 nights, Rothenburg 1 night, Munich 2 nights, then home.
Jan 6th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Wow, I was reading the first part of your post and it sounded a bit like the trip I am planning!!! We are flying into Paris, staying at Hotel la Bourdonnais and out of Copenhagen also with our 17 yr. old son who is also a senior!! That's crazy! Our trips are different for the middle of the trip but the similarities from your original post compared to mine was fun to read. We have a son studying abroad in Copenhagen so that is why we are leaving from that area. We leave from the US on Monday, Jan. 8! I can't wait! I don't think your trip is too full...I, like you, want to cover a lot of ground. We are planning 2 nights in Paris, 2 nights in Chamonix, 1 night in Germany on our way to 2 nights in Prague, and finally up to Copenhagen for the last 3 days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO