Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Final tweaking needed for Extremadura trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/final-tweaking-needed-for-extremadura-trip-1664702/)

kelliebellie Mar 13th, 2019 11:06 AM

Final tweaking needed for Extremadura trip

Hi all. We are just a few weeks away from our Spain trip. This is what I have so far:

A​​​​​​rrive Saturday morning in Madrid, get car and drive to Segovia for the day and spend the night.

Night 2 (sun) in Salamanca

Night 3 and 4 (Mon Tues) in Caceres Parador
Dinner Atrio

Night 5 (wed) I have no idea

Night 6 (Thur) Toledo

Night 7 and 8 (Fri sat) Madrid

So I need a town for Wed night and any sights we have to see in each town. I've been so busy I haven't had time to sort it all out. We will of course hit all the UNESCO sites we can.

​​​​​​​Thanks!!

cruiseluv Mar 13th, 2019 11:17 AM

I loved my trip to Extremadura a few years ago! We also stayed at the Parador in Caceres in one of our stops. Two other worthwhile cities in Extremadura are Merida and Trujillo. In Merida we stayed at the Parador, and Trujillo we did as a day trip from Caceres.
Editing to add, I would have loved to stay overnight in Trujillo, really liked the vibe of the city.

kelliebellie Mar 13th, 2019 11:52 AM

Two wonderful options. Thanks!

Michael Mar 13th, 2019 12:00 PM

While in Caceres I recommend seeing Garrovillas and Merida:

kelliebellie Mar 13th, 2019 12:14 PM

Definitely going to Merida. Should we spend a night there or is there something on the way to Toledo?

kja Mar 13th, 2019 05:06 PM

I’m sure it will be wonderful – just a few comments:

You’re coming from the U.S., aren’t you? PLEASE do not try to drive immediately upon your arrival in Madrid! You can easily take public transportation to Segovia, and for that matter, from Segovia on to Salamanca. Although many people are not aware of it, there is mounting evidence that driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- to yourself and others -- as driving drunk, and nothing you can do will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit. Seriously -- NOT a good idea, no matter your other constraints and no matter your prior experience! And please be patient with me if you think I’m being overly adamant, but I know too many people who have died or been seriously injured in accidents to which jet lag was a contributing factor, and I know too many people who will spend the rest of their lives dealing with the knowledge that they were responsible for accidents that resulted in multiple deaths, including those of children, all because they were too confident in their ability to drive safely with jet lag. The issue has become a bit of a cause célèbre for me….

One night is very little for either Salamanca or Toledo – consider adding your night to one of them.

whitehall Mar 13th, 2019 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by kja (Post 16887214)
Although many people are not aware of it, there is mounting evidence that driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- to yourself and others -- as driving drunk, and nothing you can do will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit. Seriously -- NOT a good idea, no matter your other constraints and no matter your prior experience!

I agree it is not smart to drive when drowsy, and that many accidents do occur due to such driving. Common sense would tell me that jet lag can at least make some people have varying levels of drowsiness. But I don't think everyone experiences the same effects from jet lag; and adrenaline, perhaps the excitement of a vacation, might offset that drowsiness. You claim driving after international flights is the same as driving drunk. Can you please share with us some of this "mounting evidence." I think it would be helpful, if true, in making your case.

kja Mar 13th, 2019 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by whitehall (Post 16887223)
adrenaline, perhaps the excitement of a vacation, might offset that drowsiness.

That's inconsistent with the evidence, whitehall -- and sorry, but anecdotes are NOT evidence.

kelliebellie Mar 13th, 2019 07:35 PM

Thank you all for your concern, but we are getting very off topic. We will be fine driving the hour from the airport at 10 am. We are from Detroit. We are very good drivers.

I booked a lovely looking place in Trujillo, but will contemplate spending it in Salamanca or Toledo instead once I flush out the final itinerary.

kja Mar 13th, 2019 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by kelliebellie (Post 16887275)
We are very good drivers.

I'm sure you are! Unfortunately, that's no protection against the microsleeps that cause accidents. And with such EASY alternatives to get where you want to be, do, please reconsider!

And BTW, having a car in Segovia is not likely to be a benefit, nor having one while in Salamanca. I can understand that you might want a car once you leave there....

cdnyul Mar 13th, 2019 07:58 PM

Pay no attention to the scaremongers.

It is a short drive to Segovia, stop for some coffee and churros in one of the service centers if you like.
Starting out we usually pay for two nights allowing us a very early check-in.

The parador in Merida is very nice, another option is Rambla Emerita, nice hotel with very friendly staff.

Can't comment on places I have not been to, but we did Toledo in half a day (too crowded), have yet to set foot in Madrid proper and fallen in love with Salamanca (Grand Hotel Corona Sol)

Trujillio and Guadalupe are worth a look, half a day was enough for us.

kja Mar 13th, 2019 08:37 PM

@ cdnyul: I wonder whether you have any evidence to indicate that driving with jet lag is any safer than driving after drinking, or driving without seatbelts, or any other now recognized risk? When the evidence emerged about those risks, people said exactly what you are saying: don't worry! I’m sure you realize that driving ANY distance drunk is a risk – as is driving ANY distance with jet lag.

kja Mar 13th, 2019 09:18 PM

@ kelliebellie: You might remember that I've responded to your requests for input on several trips now, and I hope you realize that my intent is to be as helpful and constructive as I can. I trust that you will accept my comments in that light. You have an easy fix here; do consider it!

cdnyul Mar 14th, 2019 12:39 AM

@kja.
In the immortal words of Ms. Tomei, that is a BS question.

My evidence are my 14 trips to Europe in the past five years, four of them to Spain, (MAD to Merida, Oropesa, Cuenca, Salamanca)

I don't have a death wish, love my spouse, wear my seat-belt and don't drink and drive.

From what I have gathered you have read a book on the subject.

kelliebellie Mar 14th, 2019 04:10 AM

I do very much appreciate your concern and raising awareness of an important topic. We are not changing our plans. The car represents freedom and that's an important part of relaxation.

So let's stop arguing or go start your own thread. I also very much appreciate the tips about these cities!

cdnyul Mar 14th, 2019 04:33 AM

I have thrown together a Merida photo album.
It is not my nature to tell people where or how to travel, but if the only reason for going to Segovia is the aqueduct, Merida has that as well.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...A2c2kyQjg4MWpR

vinonobile987 Mar 14th, 2019 05:26 AM

<<​​​​​​Arrive Saturday morning in Madrid, get car and drive to Segovia for the day and spend the night.

Night 2 (sun) in Salamanca>>

We did exactly the same, only with 2 nights in Segovia with day trip to Avila and two days in Salamanca.

We stayed at the Parador de Segovia and had a wonderful time. It was such a treat to enjoy the views of beautiful Segovia at breakfast and dinner. Lovely hotel, ample parking, and taxi to the old town is 10€.

in Salamanca, we stayed in the countryside and it was an adventure of its own. We stayed at the 16th century castle, Castillo de Buen Amor... what a treat! We did not stay in the “dungeon” rooms - they are a bit gloomy; we stayed on the second floor and enjoyed spectacular views from the balcony. Their restaurant is very good not dinner, but breakfast was minimalistic, to say the least. Staying in this castle was a great addition to our full day in magnificent Salamanca, “The Golden City of Spain”.

https://www.buenamor.net/en

We drove from Madrid airport to Segovia and found the roads to be very good and the drive easy. It is only one hour drive, so you should be OK. Car is a must in Spain, in my opinion, not in big cities and not in the center of Spanish old towns though.

kelliebellie Mar 14th, 2019 06:35 AM

Thanks! I will check out that photo album of Merida. YES! We are very very into the architectural history, hence the visit to this region. I can't wait to see the aqueducts!

I will check out that hotel in the castle as well.

My husband wants to see Badajoz. I assume there is a lot to see there?

I have us booked into two Eurostar properties. Has anyone stayed with them?

Thanks! Very helpful advice!!!

neckervd Mar 14th, 2019 06:49 AM

Along your itinerary, Avila, Salamanca, Caceres, Merida and Toledo are musts.
El Escorial, Segovia, Ciudad Rodriguez, Badajoz, Elvas and Evora are not to miss if you have enough time for that.

vinonobile987 Mar 14th, 2019 08:04 AM

Evora is lovely, but it is in Portugal, not in Spain... Or am I missing Evora in Spain? I am not aware of it.